Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #26
02wagonrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270575
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon 4eat
wrb

Old thread but I used search.

Also asking same question.

I understand right foot does most.

I have been told a low spool will hurt mpg. If the throttle is not pressed far though it shouldnt boost anyways right?

I can see how a fully ported motor(turbo,ic elbows,tb,tgv,manifolds, turbo) would be more efficient therefore better mpg.

But fast boost response could mean bad mpg. I'm trying to decide if I should do my turbo on my build.

Maybe just cold side?

And side note. To the people who don't care about mpg.

I love my rex, I bought it for fun. But its also my family car, my daily.

I don't want less then 290-300 a tank. Gas is getting pricy if I have to settle for 19-20 mpg I would rather have a g8gt something bigger and faster. So please don't respond with those comments. I just want to talk about this theory.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
02wagonrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #27
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02wagonrex View Post
Old thread but I used search.

Also asking same question.

I understand right foot does most.

I have been told a low spool will hurt mpg. If the throttle is not pressed far though it shouldnt boost anyways right?

I can see how a fully ported motor(turbo,ic elbows,tb,tgv,manifolds, turbo) would be more efficient therefore better mpg.

But fast boost response could mean bad mpg. I'm trying to decide if I should do my turbo on my build.

Maybe just cold side?

And side note. To the people who don't care about mpg.

I love my rex, I bought it for fun. But its also my family car, my daily.

I don't want less then 290-300 a tank. Gas is getting pricy if I have to settle for 19-20 mpg I would rather have a g8gt something bigger and faster. So please don't respond with those comments. I just want to talk about this theory.

stop hearing stupid ****

mpg is ALL in the tune

i usta get 27-28mpg with a monster td04 on my 02 if i tuned it for that

dont be stupid...just learn how to tune a bit and ya dont have any worries
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #28
quazimoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 70395
Chapter/Region: MAIC

It's pretty much a common sense answer to your question. Just think about it. The right foot controls the boost yes? I could drive a 30 mile commute to work and not hit boost if I wanted. Even with an MBC. If you "drive it like you stole it" everywhere you go of course MPG's will suffer. This isn't rock science.
quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #29
nevin95 LSi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 219571
Vehicle:
'02 wrx wagon 274k+
'95 SVX ebony mica

The problem with this question is that few (if any) people would ever change just the turbo. You always do something else at the same time 'cause while you're there, you may as well, right?

I did have a pnp td04 on my bugeye, but I also did ewg, pinks, EBCS, and a tune at the same time. If you got on the gas now, it was on boost a minute ago, and the response was insane. Torque all over, and a topend not too shabby for a td04. My mileage pretty much stayed the same as far as I could tell, but it was pretty decent to begin with. My daily driving mileage around town was 23-24 usually (including warming it up year-round) and on the highway, it would be 26 or 27.

Since I've gone to a vf24 though, I have noticed an increase in mileage, and I can say that nothing else was changed, because I haven't even had it tuned yet. (Don't worry, it is scheduled for this month) My wife and I went on vacation this fall, and I got a comfy 30.5 mpg doing a 60 mph steady cruise for about 3 hours. And I have no idea how you guys are only going 250 miles on a tank, because that's what I normally do in the winter! 300 is easy in the summer, and I typically go over 350 until the light has come on.

Sorry that took so long, but the short answer is if you don't drive like a hoon, you can really have decent gas mileage and a fun turbo car.
nevin95 LSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #30
02wagonrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270575
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon 4eat
wrb

I drive an auto, lag is annoying. This is what I wanted to hear. I'm trying.to polish everything up to provide best efficiency.

Staying out of boost, for me anyways is harder with an automatic(never drove a turbo 5speed)? Using cruise control doesn't help much either..
02wagonrex is offline   Reply With Quote