Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday October 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Tripplesixty
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 271649
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Metallic Grey

Question Clutch Issues

Quick disclaimer, I'm not a car expert, I have an academic understanding of my vehicle and its mechanical parts and can perform basic maintenance. I currently own a 2012 WRX with ~30k miles on it. I am the original owner.

Recently I've noticed that if I make a hard pull in 2nd gear IE 2k->5.5k rpm I get an odd feeling in the clutch. After making the pull, when depressing the clutch I feel a judder. I can feel this regardless of being in gear, out of gear, stopped or moving. I can only feel it when moving the clutch in and out. The pedal does not vibrate when the clutch is fully depressed or let out, It simply judders when moving it. I am not slipping the clutch at all when driving or making the pull, this is after a rolling start with the clutch fully engaged. The feeling goes away after a minute or so (rapidly pressing the clutch in/out, while out of gear, appears to make the feeling go away faster)

A little history, I've only dropped/slipped the clutch maybe 2-3 times during the life of the car. I almost always engage the clutch normally when starting from a complete stop. I also don't ride the clutch while driving. My miles are about 80% highway 20% around town driving.

I'm not sure exactly what the Subaru 36,000 mile warranty covers, but should I take this in to get it looked at? How would I explain these symptoms to a mechanic? Does this sound symptomatic of a failing, worn or glazed clutch/flywheel? I'm trying to learn here, and be as proactive about my car maintenance as possible.

Thanks~
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Tripplesixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Sidewinderpb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 312048
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 BMW e92 335i
BSM

You've literally described my issue to a T. The exact same thing happens to me.
Sidewinderpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Tripplesixty
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Metallic Grey

Well I guess I can say that I'm glad I'm not alone on this issue, I just really hope its not something serious that's going to put me out of service for multiple days or multiple dollars.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Sidewinderpb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 BMW e92 335i
BSM

Just try to avoid ripping it in 2nd gear.

I've done a lot of reading about it, and what I've gathered is:

-Issue could have to do with the fire wall welds breaking/loosening.
-Issue could have to do with throw out bearing.
-Issue could have to do with clutch fork (likely not).
-Issue is ultimately due to Subaru doing a **** job putting these cars together.

Solution:
-Take dash (I think) out, and check welds (remember to take pictures!) yourself.
-Take car to dealership and have them run you around the mill again, and again; continuously feeding you bull****.
-Take car to dealership and get super lucky - to the extent that they will acknowledge the issue and repair it.
-Give SOA a call and explain your issue.
***Definitely do some reading in the "Warranty/SOA Issues" section of this forum.

Good luck my friend.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Nomarac
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 322484
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WR Blue

This exact issue is happening to my 2012 WRX with 29,500 on the ODO. I too have mostly highway miles and I really don't beat on my car much- the occasional pull onto a highway. I'm taking it in on Friday to have it looked at but I'm worried their going to give me an excuse to not fix it on their dime.
Nomarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Sidewinderpb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 BMW e92 335i
BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomarac View Post
This exact issue is happening to my 2012 WRX with 29,500 on the ODO. I too have mostly highway miles and I really don't beat on my car much- the occasional pull onto a highway. I'm taking it in on Friday to have it looked at but I'm worried their going to give me an excuse to not fix it on their dime.
Good luck. Keep us updated.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Tripplesixty
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Metallic Grey

Taking the car into the shop to have it looked at. I'm hoping they don't come back telling me everything is OK. I know enough about cars and have driven enough manual transmissions to know when something isn't behaving. After driving the car every day I've become pretty in-tune with how it should feel and sound. Hell I identified a boost leak in my intake just by listening way before ever seeing decreased gas mileage and poorer performace.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Subacat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378035

going on my second clutch slipping needs to be replaced only 120 k, can't start my own question because I am new to this site. just looking for any answer to why my clutch is only lasting 57k for first one, and second one just approximately 59k, I am hearing this is rediculous, please any feedback
Subacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
RexWagonWA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 221945

Because you are riding your clutch and wearing it out. Some of us get 100k to 250k.
RexWagonWA is offline   Reply With Quote