Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Type2
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 200436
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Default AEM 3.5 Bar Map Sensor: 30-2130 (Stainless) vs 30-2131 (Brass)

Being the tuning sub forum, I would expect you folks to know this better than anyone else (I usually post in the built engine sub forum).

Question: Does anyone know the difference between these two kits? I'm not looking for conjecture. They both look to be identical minus the brass vs stainless steel. I did notice that the Stainless version says "Accuracy +/- 1%" whereas the Brass version says 3%. Is that enough to make a difference for purposes of tuning? I understand that Stainless may hold up better in a harsh environment. If they are essentially the same I would prefer to save $80 and go with the brass.

BTW - I read on THIS THREAD that "If you look at the pressure to volt charts on AEM's site, there is a larger error deviation with the brass sensors than there are with the SS ones. Depending on your application, this can make a huge difference in getting accurate readings. Take that into account along with the heat the sensor will be seeing whererver it is located."

So, depending on my application, which would be a mildly built engine putting down about 350 whp at 22 psi, does the brass sensor kit have too large of an error deviation?

AEM 30-2131-50 3.5 Bar or 50PSIA Brass Sensor Kit
$62.59
HEREHERE

http://www.aemelectronics.com/3-5-ba...sensor-kit-662
Sensor Performance Specifications:
Accuracy: +/- 1% Full Scale over -40C to 105C includes Repeatability, Hysteresis and Linearity
Operating Temp: -40C to 105C / -40F to 221F
Burst Pressure: 500PSI
Response Time: < 1mS
Wetted Materials: 304L & 316L Stainless Steel
Vibration: 100 to 2000Hz, 20g Sinusoidal, 3 Axes
Weight: <85g
Supply Current: <6mA at 5 Vdc
Output: .5 to 4.5Vdc Linear
Transfer Function: PSI = (12.5*(Voltage))-20.95
Elec. Termination: Integral weatherproof connector, includes mating connector & pins(Supply Voltage 5Vdc +/- .5, Ground, Output)

AEM 30-2130-50 50 PSIA or 3.5 Bar MAP Sensor Kit
$147.02
HEREHERE

http://www.aemelectronics.com/3-5-ba...sensor-kit-653
Sensor Performance Specifications:
Accuracy: +/- 3% Full Scale over -40C to 105C includes Repeatability, Hysteresis and Linearity
Operating Temp: -20C to 105C / -4F to 221F
Burst Pressure: 100PSI
Response Time: < 1mS
Wetted Materials: 304L & 316L Stainless Steel
Vibration: 100 to 2000Hz, 20g Sinusoidal, 3 Axes
Weight: <85g
Supply Current: <6mA at 5 Vdc
Output: .5 to 4.5Vdc Linear
Transfer Function: PSI = (12.5*(Voltage))-20.95
Elec. Termination: Integral weatherproof connector, includes mating connector & pins(Supply Voltage 5Vdc +/- .5, Ground, Output)

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Type2
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Bump for the smart folks
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Type2
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Bump - may need to move this over to a different subforum
Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32669
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

The brass one can have an error of up to 1.575 psi (3% of FS) vs. the stainless at .525 psi (1% of FS) . Ask you tuner or if you are the tuner ask yourself why you wouldn't want the most accurate measurement of boost if you are using this for a MAP sensor.

I'm using teh AEM stainless sensors for my oil pressure and fuel pressure sensors btw. I went with Omni power for MAP
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Type2
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygnsd View Post
The brass one can have an error of up to 1.575 psi (3% of FS) vs. the stainless at .525 psi (1% of FS) . Ask you tuner or if you are the tuner ask yourself why you wouldn't want the most accurate measurement of boost if you are using this for a MAP sensor.

I'm using teh AEM stainless sensors for my oil pressure and fuel pressure sensors btw. I went with Omni power for MAP
Thanks bud. Putting it in that perspective, 1.575 psi error seems like a large amount that I don't feel comfortable with, so if I go AEM I'll definitely go with the stainless.