Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
claythrow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283663
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Root Beer

Default 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
What the hell is 76 gas??
lol, I was wondering the same thing.

This is a long shot, but a little while back I helped with a car that had this same problem...the best way to describe it was like it was stuttering at speed. It seemed like combustion problem, which could be from a number of different sources.

I checked the oil, dipstick came up totally dry. Put oil back in the motor, & all was well again.

The place that changed the oil forgot to fill it again. He had the sticker still in the windshield stating the mileage till next oil change. He had driven 800 miles with no oil. Absolutely no signs of an oil leak (if they had filled it, & that would be a lot of oil to dump) & if it was burning oil, it was suddenly burning it at a massive rate, as I had driven this car not long before. With how sensitive these bottom ends can be I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Problem has not come back, & oil levels have remained normal.

Needless to say he will not be going back to that place, they claim there was no mistake made. But irreparable damage has been done to that engine because of it...we saved it for the moment, but it's lifespan has been shortened.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
claythrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #27
blitening
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378281
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeastern NY State
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza 2.0i 5D
Quartz Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claythrow View Post
lol, I was wondering the same thing.

This is a long shot, but a little while back I helped with a car that had this same problem...the best way to describe it was like it was stuttering at speed. It seemed like combustion problem, which could be from a number of different sources.

I checked the oil, dipstick came up totally dry. Put oil back in the motor, & all was well again.

The place that changed the oil forgot to fill it again. He had the sticker still in the windshield stating the mileage till next oil change. He had driven 800 miles with no oil. Absolutely no signs of an oil leak (if they had filled it, & that would be a lot of oil to dump) & if it was burning oil, it was suddenly burning it at a massive rate, as I had driven this car not long before. With how sensitive these bottom ends can be I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Problem has not come back, & oil levels have remained normal.

Needless to say he will not be going back to that place, they claim there was no mistake made. But irreparable damage has been done to that engine because of it...we saved it for the moment, but it's lifespan has been shortened.
Yikes! That's a horror story! Wasn't the low oil light on the dash board illuminated? I think I'll be checking the dipstick myself after each oil change from now on.
blitening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #28
Supa LA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344540
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Louisville, KY
Vehicle:
2005 STi
PSM

Default

I have had a similar issue of late in my 05 sti. My car doesnt jerk, just seems to hesitate. This only happens while crusing at around 2200-2600 rpm in higher gears, like 4th-6th. Its mainly when im trying to hold speed without the cruise on. Can bad gas cause this? My oil is fine and i have had no issues with the tune before? HOWEVER, the last oil change was with T6. The previous owner ran Mobil1 5w30/40 depending on season (hot/cold) All of this started happening about one month ago (roughly). When i give it throttle it powers thru just fine. I have seen no issues on lower gears or speeds.

Mods are:

20g
850cc
big maf intake
3" straight pipe
engine mounts
several other minimal ones.
Supa LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #29
Supa LA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344540
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Louisville, KY
Vehicle:
2005 STi
PSM

Default

Supa LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
blitening
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378281
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeastern NY State
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza 2.0i 5D
Quartz Blue Pearl

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa LA View Post
I have had a similar issue of late in my 05 sti. My car doesnt jerk, just seems to hesitate. This only happens while crusing at around 2200-2600 rpm in higher gears, like 4th-6th. Its mainly when im trying to hold speed without the cruise on. Can bad gas cause this? My oil is fine and i have had no issues with the tune before? HOWEVER, the last oil change was with T6. The previous owner ran Mobil1 5w30/40 depending on season (hot/cold) All of this started happening about one month ago (roughly). When i give it throttle it powers thru just fine. I have seen no issues on lower gears or speeds.

Mods are:

20g
850cc
big maf intake
3" straight pipe
engine mounts
several other minimal ones.
Interesting. I have heard stories about the engine "getting used" to the type of engine oil and responding differently when a different type is used. However, these stories involved the use of high-mileage oil and then switching back to conventional. The stick I drove regularly was years ago and it was a much different ride than a STI. I did notice some hesitation when I was in a higher gear than I should have been. However, that car had far less HP and torque then a STI.
blitening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #31
MRGierut013
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328260
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Palos Heights, IL
Vehicle:
2005 STi, 2004 RSX
i-Vtec just kicked in yo!

Default

My '05 STi did the same thing at low speeds. Like everyone else, only when I was holding a constant speed. When it first happened to me, I was driving uphill and I initially thought I had driven over a small patch of ice and lost traction momentarily. But it happened again on a flat section of pavement and it legitimately felt like it lost power for a split second, like fuel cutoff or something.

Only happened that one time though. My car is stock aside from COBB's stage 1 map.

Last edited by MRGierut013; 01-14-2014 at 10:40 AM.
MRGierut013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #32
Supa LA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344540
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Louisville, KY
Vehicle:
2005 STi
PSM

Default

Im wondering if the cold weather here has something to do with it as well? I bought the car back in the spring, so this is my first winter with it. I may try to reach out to the p/o and see if he has had similar issues. I'm just hoping its nothing major or a sign of something more significant about to go out.

EDIT- while watching the boost gauge during this process, i notice that the needle moves slightly, could it be wg opening and closing? (noob question lol)
Supa LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #33
blitening
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378281
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeastern NY State
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza 2.0i 5D
Quartz Blue Pearl

Default

I have experienced the hesitating before on two different vehicles and both ended up being the fuel pump.
blitening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #34
Brent22
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 350169
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa LA View Post
Im wondering if the cold weather here has something to do with it as well? I bought the car back in the spring, so this is my first winter with it. I may try to reach out to the p/o and see if he has had similar issues. I'm just hoping its nothing major or a sign of something more significant about to go out.

EDIT- while watching the boost gauge during this process, i notice that the needle moves slightly, could it be wg opening and closing? (noob question lol)
I'm saying not to worry about it assuming we're thinking of the same thing. Severity is a big variable we can't really account for though. Basically what I was experiencing was the car bucking a little at low speed and low RPM. I typically experienced this when in a parking lot or going from Speedbump A to Speedbump B. Essentially any situation where it didn't make sense to accelerate. As I said, this happened on my 2008 Spec V (2 years old, 12k miles), 2009 Si (2 years old, 10k miles), and my 2013 WRX (brand new).

These are all cars that aren't terribly refined, designed for performance, etc. I highly doubt there would be the same bug in all 3 cases especially on vehicles that are very low mileage. That makes me think it's just something by design. I would most likely say it's the tune. On the Si the problem was drastically reduced when it had a tune by Hondata. On the Spec V it was slightly reduced when it was tuned by UpRev. On the WRX it's slightly reduced with Cobb Stage 1.

Someone mentioned they had a GTI and didn't notice it. I feel like the GTI is a lot more refined and they're more likely to iron this bug out for the sake of user experience where as Subaru/Honda/Nissan might be looking towards the big picture (overall performance)
Brent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #35
Supa LA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344540
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Louisville, KY
Vehicle:
2005 STi
PSM

Default

I dont have any issues at low speeds tho. It's when im in higher gears (4th-6th) on the interstate/highway. Typically at around 2500-2700 rpms. It almost feels like the boost is juuuuust starting to build and im letting off the throttle. Just a little hesitation. So, im not sure about the low speed bucking thing. I get why that would happen, but i think it is just a design/tranny thing.
Supa LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.