Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
jdm25rs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68118
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ Ltd
Satin White Pearl

Default AWD Auto alignment woes

Has anyone else had issues with AWD Auto and their alignements? I had my car aligned 13 months ago and have put a little over 10k on its since there. My alignment specs were 1.6 degrees camber in the front and 1.4 degrees in the rear. I had them set my car to 0 degrees toe. As I went to rotate my tires yesterday my front tires were toast and all camber wear. I called AWD Auto and they told me the only cause is not getting an alignment 1-2 times a year and not rotating my tires enough. I called BS on that as my car has not had any accidents or incidents with the curbs. I figured since Russ and AWD Auto had such a good rep and I was referred there by so many NWIC members they would take care of me and see what happened with my settings. Instead, I was told the only thing they will do is charge me for another alignment at my expense. I do not understand how my tires can be so worn with so little miles at the settings I have and how the shop who performed that alignment will not assure there work. I do not expect them to pay for tires, but I would expect a legitimate shop to take care of its customers with issues like this.

Rant over.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jdm25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
SuperScubi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233407
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2004 Aspen White STi
DomTune380.5whp/415.8torq

Default

Did you install new coilovers and had the alignment specs set to that right after install?
SuperScubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
jdm25rs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68118
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ Ltd
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScubi View Post
Did you install new coilovers and had the alignment specs set to that right after install?
Nope. Never touched the suspension since the alignment.
jdm25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Teedub21
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333099
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Vancouver, WA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi
ISM

Default

I don't really see how you should be expected to get your car aligned 1-2 times a year. It shouldn't just go out of spec on its own. Camber doesn't usually do that much damage, improper toe does. Especially -1.6 degrees, that's hardly anything.
Teedub21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Dunkin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113496
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Juanita, WA
Vehicle:
...
(V) (;,,;) (V)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm25rs View Post
Has anyone else had issues with AWD Auto and their alignements? I had my car aligned 13 months ago and have put a little over 10k on its since there. My alignment specs were 1.6 degrees camber in the front and 1.4 degrees in the rear. I had them set my car to 0 degrees toe. As I went to rotate my tires yesterday my front tires were toast and all camber wear. I called AWD Auto and they told me the only cause is not getting an alignment 1-2 times a year and not rotating my tires enough. I called BS on that as my car has not had any accidents or incidents with the curbs. I figured since Russ and AWD Auto had such a good rep and I was referred there by so many NWIC members they would take care of me and see what happened with my settings. Instead, I was told the only thing they will do is charge me for another alignment at my expense. I do not understand how my tires can be so worn with so little miles at the settings I have and how the shop who performed that alignment will not assure there work. I do not expect them to pay for tires, but I would expect a legitimate shop to take care of its customers with issues like this.

Rant over.


I am sorry to hear about your frustrations with the car. There are a few things that I am curious about over the last year...

Were the tires rotated anywhere between, or is this the first rotation after 10,000 miles?

Was the air pressure maintained?

Is it possible that a pothole, expansion joint or some other road surface imperfection knocked the toe out of spec over the last 10,000 miles?

Is your steering wheel still straight?

In any case, I am happy to recheck your alignment at no charge for you, to see what has happened, even though we are beyond the warranty time.

Let me know when you are ready to bring it in. Please make sure to ask for me when you call...

-Ryan @ AWD
Dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
SuperScubi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233407
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2004 Aspen White STi
DomTune380.5whp/415.8torq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm25rs View Post

Nope. Never touched the suspension since the alignment.
My bet is that your settings changed while your suspension settled after your alignment.
SuperScubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
SubaruDemon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97460
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bellevue
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScubi View Post
My bet is that your settings changed while your suspension settled after your alignment.
Or some Seattle pothole action took place. Some potholes can swallow small children
SubaruDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
SuperScubi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 233407
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2004 Aspen White STi
DomTune380.5whp/415.8torq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruDemon View Post
Or some Seattle pothole action took place. Some potholes can swallow small children
Haha true... This is why I have a Fozzy as my daily now
SuperScubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
SubaruDemon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97460
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bellevue
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScubi View Post
Haha true... This is why I have a Fozzy as my daily now
My 2002 Toyota Echo is what I drive across the bridges. My car doesn't go into Seattle for this sole reason lol.
SubaruDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
tazswing
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63767
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX
Vehicle:
2009 OXT 5-spd
2011 STi hatch

Default

I am also curious if this was your first tire rotation since the alignment. Unfortunately there was many things that can pull the alignment out of line.

Tire rotation is one of the best ways to start seeing an issue along with hands off the steering wheel steering. I look at my tires at full lock between when I rotate them to look for issues. Tire pressures can flux a bunch between seasons, too.

Dunkin asked some appropriate questions.


From my own experience with alignments, I would get my alignment re-done after every two track days. And each time the alignment was off by a touch to over a full degree depending on how high on the curbs I got that session. I have never considered alignments static but then again I am not an expert. I realize track racing is not comparable to street driving.
tazswing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
jdm25rs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68118
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ Ltd
Satin White Pearl

Default

Gotta thank Ryan for taking care of this. Appt already setup and all taken care of. Much appreciation to Ryan and AWD Auto for their help and handling of the situation.
jdm25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
tazswing
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63767
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX
Vehicle:
2009 OXT 5-spd
2011 STi hatch

Default

I'm glad they are taking care of you. Still curious about the above questions from people.
tazswing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
jdm25rs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68118
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ Ltd
Satin White Pearl

Default

Steering wheel is straight, air pressure is regularly checked, and rotated them about 5000 miles ago. I rarely drive through downtown and only put about 10 miles round trip to work. Other than that it's mostly drinking around everett/lynnwood area and the roads are pretty good up this way. The odd thing is they are both worn evenly. I could see if only one tire wore off and that could definitely e a result if a pothole or something from the road throwing it out if whack.
jdm25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
STI Dy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181783
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Sporting the teal handkerchief
Vehicle:
2007 OBP "Bolt on
equipped" STi

Default

I had an alignment from Russ years ago. All my tire sets have even tire wear.
STI Dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
Dunkin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113496
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Juanita, WA
Vehicle:
...
(V) (;,,;) (V)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm25rs View Post
Steering wheel is straight, air pressure is regularly checked, and rotated them about 5000 miles ago. I rarely drive through downtown and only put about 10 miles round trip to work. Other than that it's mostly drinking around everett/lynnwood area and the roads are pretty good up this way. The odd thing is they are both worn evenly. I could see if only one tire wore off and that could definitely e a result if a pothole or something from the road throwing it out if whack.

Many things are possible, as we live in a dynamic world. However, I am glad to hear that this is not the first tire rotation and the pressures have been maintained.

We will see you this afternoon, get the heads set up on the car and see what has changed from the previous alignment.



Sadly, Russ has moved on to Portland, Oregon, but we do still have Tim the Magician here.
Dunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
SubaruDemon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97460
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bellevue
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post
Many things are possible, as we live in a dynamic world. However, I am glad to hear that this is not the first tire rotation and the pressures have been maintained.

We will see you this afternoon, get the heads set up on the car and see what has changed from the previous alignment.



Sadly, Russ has moved on to Portland, Oregon, but we do still have Tim the Magician here.
Tim Watt FTMFW. He works miracles in mysterious ways.
SubaruDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #17
tazswing
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63767
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX
Vehicle:
2009 OXT 5-spd
2011 STi hatch

Default

Cool.

Please follow-up with this thread once it is back on the rack. I am interested to see what is found.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm25rs View Post
Steering wheel is straight, air pressure is regularly checked, and rotated them about 5000 miles ago. I rarely drive through downtown and only put about 10 miles round trip to work. Other than that it's mostly drinking around everett/lynnwood area and the roads are pretty good up this way. The odd thing is they are both worn evenly. I could see if only one tire wore off and that could definitely e a result if a pothole or something from the road throwing it out if whack.
tazswing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
newby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 182577
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: puyallup, wa
Vehicle:
2006 sti
aspen white

Default

I get my car aligned 2-3 times a year. Usually every other oil change. Firestone does life time alignments for $179, you can take your car in every day if you want. Just a thought.
newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruDemon View Post
Or some Seattle pothole action took place. Some potholes can swallow small children

Awwww

It's cute when you locals talk about "big" pot holes. Let me know when you can lose a Humvee in one, then we can talk.




-Detroiter
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.