Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday January 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 359202
Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

Default 2013 WRX under seat sub

Looking at options to upgrade overall sound quality. Stock system really seems to lack any sort of bass. I have a kenwood ddx470 for HU. I listen pop/hip hop/alternative style music mostly, and I just want some added depth. The stock speakers sound okay, but I'm not opposed to upgrading those if I need to. I usually like my music pretty loud, too.

I was thinking just adding an under seat sub, I don't need anything to really hit hard. I want quality sound over mass amounts of bass, so I think it'll do. So on to my questions:

Do I need an amp to go with it? Would it be worthwhile to upgrade front speakers/tweeters?

I'm really not looking to spend more than $300-400 for the speakers/install. Hopefully that's enough.

I've searched google and nasioc for some options and I'm looking at alpine type r 8" sub for under the seat. Anyone have experience with it? Do I need an enclosure?

I won't be doing the install myself because honestly I'm clueless when it comes to car audio, all I know is I love music, and I love good sound quality! Thanks in advance for the help! Hopefully it's not too noob ish.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Eyedeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 wrx vf52 swap
best et,12.6@108.7

i installed the kenwood ddx 370 in my wrx and in my wifes forester. its amazing compared to the stock premium headunit. i also have the underseat oem sub. its a good unit for the money.i mainly just listen to opie & anthony on xm and between commercials some hard rock,etc. i dont like real,loud music in my car. the quality of the deck is great and the touchscreen is the nicest feature.it even works good in the dead of winter with gloves on.check crtuchfield. there decks come with wiring harness adapter and install kit for the dash. they have great prices too.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
i installed the kenwood ddx 370 in my wrx and in my wifes forester. its amazing compared to the stock premium headunit. i also have the underseat oem sub. its a good unit for the money.i mainly just listen to opie & anthony on xm and between commercials some hard rock,etc. i dont like real,loud music in my car. the quality of the deck is great and the touchscreen is the nicest feature.it even works good in the dead of winter with gloves on.check crtuchfield. there decks come with wiring harness adapter and install kit for the dash. they have great prices too.
I already have the ddx470, just looking to add a small sub!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 wrx vf52 swap
best et,12.6@108.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedeas View Post
I already have the ddx470, just looking to add a small sub!
i see that now! haha. got ahead of myself. like i said the oem sub is ok and better than nothing. i got mine used so it was pretty cheap too.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
itsAllgood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378398
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

I have this little Kicker compact powered sub that I like a lot. It's not gonna blow your windows out but it sounds nice. And since its powered it already has its own amp. But I think it was around $300 though. I'll find you a link for it
itsAllgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
itsAllgood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378398
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 WRX sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAllgood View Post
I have this little Kicker compact powered sub that I like a lot. It's not gonna blow your windows out but it sounds nice. And since its powered it already has its own amp. But I think it was around $300 though. I'll find you a link for it
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611HS8/Kicker-11HS8.html

You can probably find it cheaper than crutchfield but that's what I recommend.
itsAllgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAllgood View Post
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611HS8/Kicker-11HS8.html

You can probably find it cheaper than crutchfield but that's what I recommend.
Thanks for the recommendation! Solves the amp problem anyway. I wasn't sure if I'd need one or not. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
TheRoofRackRacer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270368
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi

I had a custom under-seat sub box made for my 2005 STi, loaded with a Rockford Fosgate P3 10" shallow mount subwoofer. It definitely needs an amp, had my amp mounted under the driver seat. Sounded amazing, really loved it, highly recommend the speaker/approach. Particularly liked not worrying about damaging a sub/amp when I threw all my dirty wet snowboard gear in the trunk! Pic of it here:

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4325941726.html

Doing this new would probably blow your budget though
TheRoofRackRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Cwbrig
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 308568
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Base
ISM

+1 on the kicker hideaway underseat sub. I had it in my Civic si and love the sound. I listen to most types of music. It has a gain knob that you can mount under your dash or in the console to turn it down depending on the music. Great sound in my opinion unless you're an audiophile or a System snob.

Now I just have to figure out how to wire it up to my '13 REX head unit.
Cwbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
scoobnoob1103
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 302961
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Subaru Wrx
WR Blue

You should definitely swap out the stock speakers too if you plan on getting a sub. It will only make the cheap quality of the speakers more obvious. The nominal power on the stock speakers is like 15 W really horrible. There are a lot of good pairs of speakers under 100 bucks. Anything is better than the stock speakers!
scoobnoob1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

The speakers aren't terrible. Obviously not the best. But they've been doing alright. The aftermarket head unit helped. So I was thinking add a small sub and an amp (if that's needed), to get that bass the stock speakers are missing. But I'm trying to do it on a not so big budget. I called some local shop and they have a amp/sub combo that goes under the seat but it's $600
Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

But saying no more than $400 for the system, I don't think I'll have the funds to upgrade speakers. Unless there's a cheap (but better than stock) pair I can have installed in the front.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
scoobnoob1103
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Subaru Wrx
WR Blue

Quote:
But saying no more than $400 for the system, I don't think I'll have the funds to upgrade speakers. Unless there's a cheap (but better than stock) pair I can have installed in the front.
Pioneer makes some speakers under $100 that are better than stock. Makes a world of a difference !
Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobnoob1103 View Post
Pioneer makes some speakers under $100 that are better than stock. Makes a world of a difference !
Which ones?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
scoobnoob1103
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Subaru Wrx
WR Blue

Quote:
Which ones?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Size/TS-A1675R
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
Cwbrig
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 308568
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Base
ISM

OK, so I got mine in.
For anyone interested, here's how I did it.....

Couple of years back, my wife bought a '10 FXT and wanted the under seat sub. I ordered it for her and threw it in. Plug and play is nice.
I then ordered the Kicker Hideaway for my Civic Si with an aftermarket head unit. Threw it in. Pretty easy.

Cut to a couple of days ago. Purchased 2013 WRX Base. Wanted to install the Hideaway, though through research, thought I'd be in for a bit of a PITA.

Then I remembered that the OEM sub came with two harnesses. One for Nav.(which the FXT had) and one for the standard HU. I remembered that I had saved it. Luckily it worked. Only thing missing was the remote on wire, which I spliced into one of the Aux inputs (cig. lighter)

I wanted to put this here in case someone else wanted an easy way to wire up a sub without splicing into their harness.

Here is the subwoofer pin-out. There are only 6 wires.

Pin ------------- Function ----------------- Color
1 R+ Grey
2 L+ Yellow
3 X
4 12v Constant Red
5 Ground Grey
6 R- Blue
7 L- Green
8 X

Looks Like This:

1 2 X 4 5
6 7 ----- X

Sorry if this is wordy, but I'm sure there are a ton of extra harnesses out there that someone could use.

Hit me up if you have any questions.
Cwbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #17
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobnoob1103 View Post
Thanks for that. Just FYI, those speakers are like $35 on amazon. Internet FTW!

How's the quality? Big difference? Maybe if I do the front speakers I won't need to do a sub. I don't need it to hit hard, just to sound full.

Did you have an issues with the install? I've heard a bunch about spacers and sound deadening but I'm pretty clueless with car audio. If it's plug and play I could probably do it, but I'm probably just gonna have someone install it for me and save the hassle.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
CorEnFa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 381468
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
SWP

Honestly, consider getting higher quality speakers first. You may not find the need for a sub if you get good speakers. 4 6" speakers move as much or more air than a 10" woofer. They also do it quicker, so fast transients will sound better. Get some decent to good quality speakers then fill in the door cavity with some acoustic deadener and you'll be surprised at how much you don't need a sub.

At least based on your statement that you don't need it to be a thumper.

Cheers-
CorEnFa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
scoobnoob1103
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Subaru Wrx
WR Blue

Quote:
Thanks for that. Just FYI, those speakers are like $35 on amazon. Internet FTW! How's the quality? Big difference? Maybe if I do the front speakers I won't need to do a sub. I don't need it to hit hard, just to sound full. Did you have an issues with the install? I've heard a bunch about spacers and sound deadening but I'm pretty clueless with car audio. If it's plug and play I could probably do it, but I'm probably just gonna have someone install it for me and save the hassle. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!
No problems with the install if you get brackets. But changing all 4 speakers makes a huge difference. It's like night and day. After speakers you might not even need a sub
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
08Legacy-GT
*** Banned ***

Member#: 325949
Chapter/Region: NESIC

Do it once do it right. Get an audio integrations box to put in your trunk, and mount the amp under the passenger seat.
08Legacy-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #21
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

I don't want to take up the space which is why I was thinking under seat sub.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #22
08Legacy-GT
*** Banned ***

Member#: 325949
Chapter/Region: NESIC

Heres mine...really its no space taken up

08Legacy-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #23
GSR2STI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342219
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
DGM

Look up the subthump box. It is way cheaper than the audio integration box and is very slim. I tried out the Sound Ordnance under seat powered sub. Wasnt real happy with it. I decided to order the Subthump box with a JL 10W3V3 and a JX500/1D.
GSR2STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I ended up buying front speakers for now, Polk Audio Db6501 component speakers. I think that will suffice for now, then when I get some more money together get the sub/amp. Hopefully the better quality speakers will help with the empty lows.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
Eyedeas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 E85 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratte88 View Post
Heres mine...really its no space taken up

I have the sedan. I've seen these though, look good.