Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Nelson Canham
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 384064
Default 1993 Subaru Impreza will not start

My Car just stopped on me and will not start.
I replaced the Fuel Pump relay, Fuel Pump and the cam sensor but it still will not start. There are two wires to plug in under dash to get a flash code and it
flasher a 13. So calling the dealership they told me the Cam Sensor. So now what do I do? Let me know,
Nelson
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Nelson Canham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
ClemRoo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343934
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Charcoal Gray

ask the dealer?
ClemRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
Loyale93
Scooby Guru

Member#: 91347
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'13 XV Crosstrek,
1050 Triumph Speed Triple

Sounds like the cam sensor. If that's what the dealer said, do that. They know more than we do.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Nelson Canham
Scooby Newbie

Well, the Cam Sensor didn't work. And now there is no Spark.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
SomDong
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 274776

Does it try and start?

If a camshaft sensor was bad, it would fire, but either not run, or run poorly.

If a crankshaft sensor was bad, it wouldn't start at all. There is ways to check them. You can use a multimeter and check the resistance of the inductive coil inside, I'm not sure of the spec though.
SomDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Nelson Canham
Scooby Newbie

Well I have Replaced the Fuel Pump,Fuel Pump relay,Cam Shaft Sensor,Crank Angle Sensor and a ECM and my car still will not start. Does anyone have an Idea what I need to look for now.Let me Know
Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
Shiftace420
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383633
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Please stop throwing expensive parts at an engine in hopes to diagnose the problem!

You must first find the problem then buy the part.

Are you positive its a flashing "13"? Also are you positive that the cam sensor is the resulting code? Sometimes they will just give you false info because the service tech or writer does not really know or has bad info. Remember they are there to sell you service, not provide you with a verbal service manual and most wont really do the research unless they have to.

Finally, I hesitantly throw out the suggestion of the MAF sensor. Please don't rush out and buy one but maybe the code points to that. It could be very dirty or just bad. That will cause an engine not to run. Do you have a friend you could borrow the top section of the airbox of similar year to try?
Shiftace420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru

Member#: 88618
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace420 View Post
Please stop throwing expensive parts at an engine in hopes to diagnose the problem!

You must first find the problem then buy the part.

Are you positive its a flashing "13"? Also are you positive that the cam sensor is the resulting code? Sometimes they will just give you false info because the service tech or writer does not really know or has bad info. Remember they are there to sell you service, not provide you with a verbal service manual and most wont really do the research unless they have to.

Finally, I hesitantly throw out the suggestion of the MAF sensor. Please don't rush out and buy one but maybe the code points to that. It could be very dirty or just bad. That will cause an engine not to run. Do you have a friend you could borrow the top section of the airbox of similar year to try?
13 is probably an old code that wasn't cleared.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #9
i_c_the_light
Scooby Guru

Member#: 88618
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy
"The Silver Slug"

Pull off one of the belt covers and check that the timing belt isn't broken.
i_c_the_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #10
Shiftace420
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
13 is probably an old code that wasn't cleared.
Agreed,

You should probably clear codes in history before trying to start the car. THEN read the code. If it's a problem it will re trip the code every time you reset it.

Just because you verify a code does not mean that its the sensor itself. Example: O2 sensor code. Sensor good. Wire connected and not comprised. Scanned with oscilloscope. Found normal pattern for 02 sensor. Checked pin at ECU and found no voltage drop in the signal wire.
--The problem ended up being a single wire O2 system with no sensor preheat wires. The ground was supplied from the rusted exhaust tubing.
--The fix: Simple wire from chassis ground near ecu to the 02 sensor base.

The cost for the diag was less then an hour. The cost to fix was 6' of wire and not a single part bought. Always check supporting wiring ect not just throw a sensor. Every sensor can be checked, with the proper equipment.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Shiftace420
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_c_the_light View Post
Pull off one of the belt covers and check that the timing belt isn't broken.
What he said.