Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
yo vanilla
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71903
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: appleton, wi
Vehicle:
07 WRX WRB
13 Mazda CX-5

Default

i've driven through nearly 20 wisconsin winters on all kinds of tires, including conti winter contacts actually. which weren't bad tires. by plenty of experience i can assure you that you do not need winter tires to safely make it through nor are you a ****ing idiot for not doing so (except to tire snobs). as a matter of fact i've spent entire winters on summer tires, young and stupid and poor days perhaps, but you want to talk about separating boys from men and put some real hair on your balls, give that a go and get back to me.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
yo vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #27
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Tell me the next time you decide to commute over echo summit to tahoe on some summer tires or a set of less than adequate all seasons. A light car no matter how much all wheel drive you have is going to start sliding very easy.

Someone driving to and from their house not very far in town that most likely has salted roads? Are all seasons fine? Yes........
For a snow trip on a non salted mountain pass with black ice? Esp. With family in the car?
Hell NO........

I got my extra set of wheels with some bomb snow and ice tires so no sweat on needing all seasons.
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #28
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
i've driven through nearly 20 wisconsin winters on all kinds of tires, including conti winter contacts actually. which weren't bad tires. by plenty of experience i can assure you that you do not need winter tires to safely make it through nor are you a ****ing idiot for not doing so (except to tire snobs). as a matter of fact i've spent entire winters on summer tires, young and stupid and poor days perhaps, but you want to talk about separating boys from men and put some real hair on your balls, give that a go and get back to me.
Been there done that mister hairy balls. You go ahead and endanger your own life with that tires are tires mentality lol. It wont kill me and my family if you do!

When you slide around like yer on a frozen pond on all seasons you dont really want to do it again. Ya dig hawwwmie?
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #29
Ziggyrama
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53665
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northboro, MA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Stg2 w/EBCS
2012 Tribeca Ltd.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hasan546 View Post
I disagree. I can get through NYC winters just fine with a good All season + AWD.

Winters are great and necessary if you have a fwd/rwd car w/ bad winters. Winter tires suck most of the time when there is no snow on the ground. Id rather have a good all season than a winter tire that makes driving my car suck for 4 months out of the year. There is a significant amount of time during winter where there is no snow but it is too cold for summers. All seasons win during these situations.
Go get yourself 4 of these:

Michelin Alpin PA3: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...3/tire-details

I think your view on winter tires sucking in dry will drastically change. They ride better than stock Dunlops, are much more quiet than stock, grip as good if not better than any all seasons I have seen and are far better in snow than any all season.
Ziggyrama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #30
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

Michelin Alpin PA3 - the best winter tires in the dry.

Krzys
krzyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #31
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzyss View Post
Michelin Alpin PA3 - the best winter tires in the dry.

Krzys
How about in the snow/ice and dry combined? Performance on dry isnt really a big concern for me as its just usually for a weekend or day trip and then I take them off. Looking for the most comfortable tire with best traction. My winter contacts are pretty good so far
Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #32
yo vanilla
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71903
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: appleton, wi
Vehicle:
07 WRX WRB
13 Mazda CX-5

Default

All seasons are my 2nd set of wheels. On purpose. Snows have their drawbacks too. And my balls are quite hairy
yo vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #33
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

There are better performance winters tires in snow and ice than Pilot Alpin 3.
The problem with US is that Continental stopped selling their best performance winters a few years ago. Currently TS830 and TS850 are one of the best but not available here.

According to CR good bets are:
Nokian WR G3 (marketed as all weather/all season)
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

I would pick Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D but I had bad luck balancing them.

If more snow/ice traction is required (trading dry/wet for it) then two very good choices are:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Michelin Xice Xi-3

Krzys
krzyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #34
yo vanilla
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71903
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: appleton, wi
Vehicle:
07 WRX WRB
13 Mazda CX-5

Default

i've had nokian WRG2's in the past (G3 predecessor). the best-all season in winter ever. but all-season, well consider there is no real summer in sweeden lol; they melted away over a real summer here. highly recommend them, although expensive and dealers aren't numerous.
yo vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #35
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

Why do you bring Sweden?

Krzys
krzyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #36
yo vanilla
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71903
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: appleton, wi
Vehicle:
07 WRX WRB
13 Mazda CX-5

Default

whoops, meant finland. my wife used to work for a sweedish company so my brain gravitates there
yo vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #37
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

At least you were very close ;-)
But not linguistically.

Strange language Finnish is.

Krzys
krzyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #38
s.hasan546
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382127
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiesdoobies View Post

And scotty was about to correct you but decided he wasnt going to waste any more finger workouts on your dumbass......

Educate your self a little more before spewing this crap all over a good technical forum.
dude your a ****n dumbass. No wonder people think everyone on Nasioc are dicks. Bc of people like you.

I said FOR ME All seasons are better than Snow tire/summer combo. Is that causing a problem for you? In NY you can't just put snows on for the weekend like you do when you go to Tahoe.

If i lived in a mountain area with snow all the time sure id buy snow tires too.

Also I've had DWS & i liked the hankooks better in EVERY category. Is it a crime to like a tire more than another? Seems like you take someones opinions very personally.

it's easy for someone who only needs a winter tire on their ski trips to say get a winter/summer combo. But i don't want to drive on a winter tire from dec-march every year on a snow tire when its not snowing most of the time. Their handling in the dry and wet are much worse than an AS
s.hasan546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #39
Scoobiesdoobies
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321546
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Limited
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hasan546 View Post

dude your a ****n dumbass. No wonder people think everyone on Nasioc are dicks. Bc of people like you.

I said FOR ME All seasons are better than Snow tire/summer combo. Is that causing a problem for you? In NY you can't just put snows on for the weekend like you do when you go to Tahoe.

If i lived in a mountain area with snow all the time sure id buy snow tires too.

Also I've had DWS & i liked the hankooks better in EVERY category. Is it a crime to like a tire more than another? Seems like you take someones opinions very personally.

it's easy for someone who only needs a winter tire on their ski trips to say get a winter/summer combo. But i don't want to drive on a winter tire from dec-march every year on a snow tire when its not snowing most of the time. Their handling in the dry and wet are much worse than an AS
Then how about you quit PMSing and stop asking our opinions.....

You can do whatever you want and it wont affect me kid.......

Have at it.....

If you are so set on what you want and dgaf about other peoples real world experiences then go eat a bag of dicks and delete your account.

Scoobiesdoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 AM   #40
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
i've driven through nearly 20 wisconsin winters on all kinds of tires, including conti winter contacts actually. which weren't bad tires. by plenty of experience i can assure you that you do not need winter tires to safely make it through nor are you a ****ing idiot for not doing so (except to tire snobs). as a matter of fact i've spent entire winters on summer tires, young and stupid and poor days perhaps, but you want to talk about separating boys from men and put some real hair on your balls, give that a go and get back to me.
its people like YOU that crash into people like US that use proper tires for condtions when you **** up

great...just ****ing GREAT
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #41
s.hasan546
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382127
Join Date: Feb 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobiesdoobies View Post
Then how about you quit PMSing and stop asking our opinions.....

You can do whatever you want and it wont affect me kid.......

Have at it.....

If you are so set on what you want and dgaf about other peoples real world experiences then go eat a bag of dicks and delete your account.

when did i ask for your opinion? and who are you calling kid?

I was giving my opinion to the OP through my experience yet you seem to have a problem with it when it doesn't totally agree with your opinions.
s.hasan546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #42
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hasan546 View Post
when did i ask for your opinion? and who are you calling kid? I was giving my opinion to the OP through my experience yet you seem to have a problem with it when it doesn't totally agree with your opinions.
Their issue lies with the bolded section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hasan546 View Post
I disagree. I can get through NYC winters just fine with a good All season + AWD. Winters are great and necessary if you have a fwd/rwd car w/ bad winters. Winter tires suck most of the time when there is no snow on the ground. Id rather have a good all season than a winter tire that makes driving my car suck for 4 months out of the year. There is a significant amount of time during winter where there is no snow but it is too cold for summers. All seasons win during these situations.
While that may be your "opinion", it is completely false.

The point of winter tires is NOT whether there is snow on the ground or not but about temperature.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.