Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #576
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default


semi relevant to this thread, still not sure of the ideal shift points
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #577
gargleblaster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11107
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Rky Mtn High
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STi
Crystal White Pearl

Default

My neck hurts after watching that.
gargleblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #578
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

Yeah sorry, couldn't find a good spot for the gopro
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #579
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #580
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

The steering is a good bit heavier than the gr/gv though. I was surprised he thought the ride was that smooth, must have been good roads. Idk, I don't like the red, for me anyway, it's not a bad color, I just don't want it.
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #581
HERMON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133451
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jax Bch
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru Wrx
Silver

Default

I too think its smooth, def much better and quiet then before. I just got back from a road trip and put 300+ miles on it and I must say it road like a Cadillac on the road.
HERMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #582
thill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377200
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Pole
Vehicle:
15 WRX
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
The steering is a good bit heavier than the gr/gv though. I was surprised he thought the ride was that smooth, must have been good roads. Idk, I don't like the red, for me anyway, it's not a bad color, I just don't want it.
He daily drives a BRZ

Most cars will feel smooth after that.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #583
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

idk I thought the BRZ was less harsh actually
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #584
thill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377200
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Pole
Vehicle:
15 WRX
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
idk I thought the BRZ was less harsh actually
I can't speak to the 2015, but coming from a BRZ to a WRX was a real eye opener. The WRX feels like I am driving in a limo.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #585
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

the GR is mushy feeling, 15 is rough, you feel every pavement imperfection. I drove the BRZ around a year ago so I cant recall exactly how it felt
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #586
blehhh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316517
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Portland, ME
Vehicle:
2012 WRB WRX Hatch
TP Stage III & ELH

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
the GR is mushy feeling, 15 is rough, you feel every pavement imperfection. I drove the BRZ around a year ago so I cant recall exactly how it felt
The GR is a little mushy and bouncy, but with really beefy sways it's at least a bit flatter.

Swaybars do stiffen the ride though over uneven pavement, where you're basically asking the suspension to respond asymmetrically, and therefor load the bar.

A lot of rally cars don't even run swaybars, because they need the independent travel for the tires to stay in contact with the uneven surface, and also not lift off the ground in corners.
blehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #587
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

yeah maybe its the 24mm front sway that makes it feel that way, idk
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #588
thill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377200
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Pole
Vehicle:
15 WRX
Ice Silver

Default

Just some thought on the new 2015 vs 2014:
- Handling is so much sharper and direct on the 2015. Turn-in is much better. Just like the reviews have said, this car stays planted on twisty roads and body-roll is non-existent. I have not driven a BRZ in over 4 months, but going off memory I would say the 2015 is close. Obviously it is a heavier car and AWD vs RWD, but the new WRX is really confidence inspiring around a corner. The harder you push it, the harder it wants to be pushed. And the car has pretty good feedback. I have not found the limits yet, but can't wait...

- You can tell that Subaru invested money in strengthening and stiffening the chassis. The car is much more firm, but not punishingly firm. You will feel the deviations in the road more, but the car also feels very well put together and tight. More European in feel than the previous version.

- The steering wheel rocks! It is smaller than I realized and is just a perfect fit for me. I like it better than the BRZ wheel. Subaru nailed the design on this one, really feels like an older Momo wheel and love the flat sides and bottom.

- The 6 speed is a big improvement over the old 5 speed. I have the STI short throw in the 15 and the SPT short throw in the 14, and the 15 is just an all around more precise box. Very notchy (which I like). Throws, even with the short shifter in the 15, are still a little longer than the BRZ I think, but they gearboxes are close in terms of feel. I am having zero issues with the clutch and gearbox. I know some folks said they had a hard time transitioning between 1st and 2nd, but I am not having any issues. Short throw perhaps helping? I will consider updating the bushings in the 15 short throw at some point.

- Interior is definitely improved. Car feels more modern with the new wheel, multi-displays, gauges, etc. Not feeling the carbon fiber trim, but it is not as bad in person as it was in the pictures. Majority of plastics are improved. Dials are nicer and more refined. I like the seats in the 15 better, they do have better lateral support and hold you tighter, but they are not on par with the BRZ. Rear legroom is great in this car (not that the 14 was bad). Definitely better than the competitors I cross-shopped. The audio system is just like the 14. I need to do the secret menu trick to flatten response, but the system is clearly lacking, but I will fix that myself very soon.

- Engine. Trying to find the right words here. Power is definitely more even throughout the power band. First gear goes by very fast, and keeping this thing under 4K is a chore. The engine is very smooth. It pulls very hard. I really like it. To me, it is not as dramatic as the EJ engine when the boost just hits you in the face. I would say it feels more refined, and definitely more torque down low. They are just different cars (EJ vs FA20DIT). I can't wait to really push this engine.

Exterior. Being honest, I have to say I like the 2015, but I don't think I prefer it to the 2014. The 2015 is more modern looking, with some clean lines, but I personally think it lost some of the character of the 2014 5 door. I think the lack of a hatch is part of it (I just prefer the look of a sporty hatch vs a sporty sedan). But I also think Subaru wanted to modernize the new WRX and make it less polarizing. Again, being honest, I think the 2014 is a better looking car at most angles. Sedan wise, I like the backend of the 2015 more. I like the 2015. I just am not as moved by it as I was with the 2014.

The wheels do look better in person than in the pictures IMHO. And while I will swap them out at some point, I don't feel like it is nearly as pressing as I originally thought when I saw the pictures of the wheels.

I am extremely happy with my decision to switch from a 2014 to a 2015. The 2015, for me, just fixes so many of the gripes I had with with the 2014. It is definitely more of a drivers car (stock vs stock). They honestly feel like two totally different cars (and yes, because they are). For me, this new WRX is much closer to driving an Evo than driving a previous gen WRX. Coming from a BRZ, the new WRX is not really giving up much at all in terms of handling, driver feedback, and gearbox. You can really tell that Subaru applied what they learned from the BRZ and really wanted to make the WRX the BRZ's big brother.

More fun to come.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #589
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

yeah all that stuff

lol

I think the 1-2 shift issue is more of a problem with smooth clutch engagement rather than actually having a problem getting it in gear.

I thought the 11 looked fine until I saw the 15, but now that I look at it everyday I think they are both pretty damn ugly overall. Too many negative statements from both sides sinking into my head lol.

I was looking at the car from about 100 feet away and it looks really narrow, then when you stand next to it it looks pretty wide and aggressive. Its kind of a more subtle approach like M3s that looks kind of like plain jane 3 series until you get closer and see the aggressiveness..except subaru made it so it looks ugly lol. I like that the car will attract less attention though....assuming that is true...idk.

Also when you do finally "open up" the engine nothing too interesting happens, just kind of falls off slightly then pulls decently from 4500-6000ish, its all very smooth feeling but the EJ seems faster...but the speedo is climbing just as fast lol
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #590
-vanguard-
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379708
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited Nav
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
yeah all that stuff

lol

I think the 1-2 shift issue is more of a problem with smooth clutch engagement rather than actually having a problem getting it in gear.

I thought the 11 looked fine until I saw the 15, but now that I look at it everyday I think they are both pretty damn ugly overall. Too many negative statements from both sides sinking into my head lol.

I was looking at the car from about 100 feet away and it looks really narrow, then when you stand next to it it looks pretty wide and aggressive. Its kind of a more subtle approach like M3s that looks kind of like plain jane 3 series until you get closer and see the aggressiveness..except subaru made it so it looks ugly lol. I like that the car will attract less attention though....assuming that is true...idk.

Also when you do finally "open up" the engine nothing too interesting happens, just kind of falls off slightly then pulls decently from 4500-6000ish, its all very smooth feeling but the EJ seems faster...but the speedo is climbing just as fast lol

To smooth out my 1-2, I dont give as much gas mid clutch release. Once I let the clutch out a good 80% of the way, I will give it the gas I normally gave my old stick shifts at 50% release.

My 1-2 is much much smoother now, although I still get a little jolt here and there.
-vanguard- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #591
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

yeah if you lean on the gas too much in 1st gear you can have a bumpy ride into 2nd if you were planning on driving slow. I've burnt the clutch a couple times lol.
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #592
-vanguard-
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379708
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited Nav
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
yeah if you lean on the gas too much in 1st gear you can have a bumpy ride into 2nd if you were planning on driving slow. I've burnt the clutch a couple times lol.

Oh Ive smelled burning clutch at least 5 times already lol cause of those 2 gears.


Its new clutch smell! lol

I really think this car's fly wheel is heavy. Would explain the shifts and rev hang.
-vanguard- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #593
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

Maybe, I think it's an ecu thing though
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #594
Pre
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
CEO- Wagon Mafia

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Just some thought on the new 2015 vs 2014:
- Handling is so much sharper and direct on the 2015. Turn-in is much better. Just like the reviews have said, this car stays planted on twisty roads and body-roll is non-existent. I have not driven a BRZ in over 4 months, but going off memory I would say the 2015 is close. Obviously it is a heavier car and AWD vs RWD, but the new WRX is really confidence inspiring around a corner. The harder you push it, the harder it wants to be pushed. And the car has pretty good feedback. I have not found the limits yet, but can't wait...

- You can tell that Subaru invested money in strengthening and stiffening the chassis. The car is much more firm, but not punishingly firm. You will feel the deviations in the road more, but the car also feels very well put together and tight. More European in feel than the previous version.

- The steering wheel rocks! It is smaller than I realized and is just a perfect fit for me. I like it better than the BRZ wheel. Subaru nailed the design on this one, really feels like an older Momo wheel and love the flat sides and bottom.

- The 6 speed is a big improvement over the old 5 speed. I have the STI short throw in the 15 and the SPT short throw in the 14, and the 15 is just an all around more precise box. Very notchy (which I like). Throws, even with the short shifter in the 15, are still a little longer than the BRZ I think, but they gearboxes are close in terms of feel. I am having zero issues with the clutch and gearbox. I know some folks said they had a hard time transitioning between 1st and 2nd, but I am not having any issues. Short throw perhaps helping? I will consider updating the bushings in the 15 short throw at some point.

- Interior is definitely improved. Car feels more modern with the new wheel, multi-displays, gauges, etc. Not feeling the carbon fiber trim, but it is not as bad in person as it was in the pictures. Majority of plastics are improved. Dials are nicer and more refined. I like the seats in the 15 better, they do have better lateral support and hold you tighter, but they are not on par with the BRZ. Rear legroom is great in this car (not that the 14 was bad). Definitely better than the competitors I cross-shopped. The audio system is just like the 14. I need to do the secret menu trick to flatten response, but the system is clearly lacking, but I will fix that myself very soon.

- Engine. Trying to find the right words here. Power is definitely more even throughout the power band. First gear goes by very fast, and keeping this thing under 4K is a chore. The engine is very smooth. It pulls very hard. I really like it. To me, it is not as dramatic as the EJ engine when the boost just hits you in the face. I would say it feels more refined, and definitely more torque down low. They are just different cars (EJ vs FA20DIT). I can't wait to really push this engine.

Exterior. Being honest, I have to say I like the 2015, but I don't think I prefer it to the 2014. The 2015 is more modern looking, with some clean lines, but I personally think it lost some of the character of the 2014 5 door. I think the lack of a hatch is part of it (I just prefer the look of a sporty hatch vs a sporty sedan). But I also think Subaru wanted to modernize the new WRX and make it less polarizing. Again, being honest, I think the 2014 is a better looking car at most angles. Sedan wise, I like the backend of the 2015 more. I like the 2015. I just am not as moved by it as I was with the 2014.

The wheels do look better in person than in the pictures IMHO. And while I will swap them out at some point, I don't feel like it is nearly as pressing as I originally thought when I saw the pictures of the wheels.

I am extremely happy with my decision to switch from a 2014 to a 2015. The 2015, for me, just fixes so many of the gripes I had with with the 2014. It is definitely more of a drivers car (stock vs stock). They honestly feel like two totally different cars (and yes, because they are). For me, this new WRX is much closer to driving an Evo than driving a previous gen WRX. Coming from a BRZ, the new WRX is not really giving up much at all in terms of handling, driver feedback, and gearbox. You can really tell that Subaru applied what they learned from the BRZ and really wanted to make the WRX the BRZ's big brother.

More fun to come.
I didn't like the driving position and think the GR is superior there. The GR has probably the best driving position for me compared to anything I've driven. I'm 6'2" and would drive my GR with the seat back just about vertical and have a clear as a bell view through the screen. The '15 WRX feels like I'm sitting on top of it instead of in it. The dash also felt so much farther away.

The '15 was stiff yet still compliant, wasn't jarring at all. Also felt like the nose of it was longer than the GR. Felt like a loooong car. Handled very well. I took some third gear corners pretty hard and the tires weren't even chirping. Definitely could feel the chassis is stiffened up.

It's an improvement over the last car in a lot of ways but I was expecting so much more, with the hype and all. Didn't care for the driving position but maybe that is my height hindering that. It's certainly not a STi replacement however. Not the drivetrain and certainly not the power. If you are used to STi power levels you would feel wanting.

I think the interior is definitely improved but that's the last concern for me. I never complained about this in the GR.

in many ways it feels like an existing WRX with some stiff sway bars and a good set of coilovers. Motor definitely feels stronger on the bottom end but overall feels like the same power levels, just the rpm changed lower. For me the car was an evolution not a revolution. Will drive the STi next when I can.

Agree with you on the looks. Hopefully they'll make another hatch at some point.
Pre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #595
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium 6MT
WRB

Default

If you want revolution get your pocketbook ready

Also I think the hood is shorter


Last edited by Celery GT-5; 05-01-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Celery GT-5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #596
MIL35
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358288
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2014 STI
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby Gillis View Post
Hey all,

I recently sold my 05, and have the cash to go in on a new car. After lots of searching, we've sourced a couple of '14 sedans. I know essentially how they drive and feel, my buddy has a '14 Wagon. Haven't had an opportunity to drive a '15 yet. No dealerships in my area have any. It appears that the 2015 is essentially a different car, with the 2 liter, 6 speed, twin scroll turbo.

The cars are essentially the same price for me, so I'm just wondering if new is always better. has anyone driven both and can compare them for me?
i was in your same situation 3 days ago except with either the 2014 or 2015 STI . I went with the 2014, mainly bc of the exterior styling. everyones got different taste, so leave it up to yourself to make the decision.
MIL35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #597
2015WRB
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 388721
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

I realize the looks of the 2015 are a bit polarizing within this community, but after driving the 2015 for a week I have already received more attention/comments on the car than my many years of last gen WRX ownership. I get comments/questions about the car on a daily basis. A random person actually waited by my car outside of a store to talk to me about what it is, what options, pricing, where they can buy one, etc. They were vaguely familiar with WRXs, but immediately interested after seeing the new car in person. Time will tell, but I think the styling of this car is much more appealing beyond the normal WRX community.
2015WRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #598
VarmintCong
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2004 330i
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015WRB View Post
I realize the looks of the 2015 are a bit polarizing within this community, but after driving the 2015 for a week I have already received more attention/comments on the car than my many years of last gen WRX ownership. I get comments/questions about the car on a daily basis. A random person actually waited by my car outside of a store to talk to me about what it is, what options, pricing, where they can buy one, etc. They were vaguely familiar with WRXs, but immediately interested after seeing the new car in person. Time will tell, but I think the styling of this car is much more appealing beyond the normal WRX community.
No doubt. The 2014 looks like a tuner car, or a modified Impreza, while the 2015 looks more upscale, a bit BMW-ish, and no longer looks like someone took an Impreza and bolted on a body kit.

I like the 2014 a lot but to the average person I think that's what it looks like.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #599
C3hutson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 347969
Join Date: Feb 2013
Vehicle:
04 STi
JBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
No doubt. The 2014 looks like a tuner car, or a modified Impreza, while the 2015 looks more upscale, a bit BMW-ish, and no longer looks like someone took an Impreza and bolted on a body kit. I like the 2014 a lot but to the average person I think that's what it looks like.

So it looks like a modified impreza and IS a modified impreza... Hrmm....
C3hutson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #600
HERMON
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133451
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jax Bch
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Just some thought on the new 2015 vs 2014:
- Handling is so much sharper and direct on the 2015. Turn-in is much better. Just like the reviews have said, this car stays planted on twisty roads and body-roll is non-existent. I have not driven a BRZ in over 4 months, but going off memory I would say the 2015 is close. Obviously it is a heavier car and AWD vs RWD, but the new WRX is really confidence inspiring around a corner. The harder you push it, the harder it wants to be pushed. And the car has pretty good feedback. I have not found the limits yet, but can't wait...

- You can tell that Subaru invested money in strengthening and stiffening the chassis. The car is much more firm, but not punishingly firm. You will feel the deviations in the road more, but the car also feels very well put together and tight. More European in feel than the previous version.

- The steering wheel rocks! It is smaller than I realized and is just a perfect fit for me. I like it better than the BRZ wheel. Subaru nailed the design on this one, really feels like an older Momo wheel and love the flat sides and bottom.

- The 6 speed is a big improvement over the old 5 speed. I have the STI short throw in the 15 and the SPT short throw in the 14, and the 15 is just an all around more precise box. Very notchy (which I like). Throws, even with the short shifter in the 15, are still a little longer than the BRZ I think, but they gearboxes are close in terms of feel. I am having zero issues with the clutch and gearbox. I know some folks said they had a hard time transitioning between 1st and 2nd, but I am not having any issues. Short throw perhaps helping? I will consider updating the bushings in the 15 short throw at some point.

- Interior is definitely improved. Car feels more modern with the new wheel, multi-displays, gauges, etc. Not feeling the carbon fiber trim, but it is not as bad in person as it was in the pictures. Majority of plastics are improved. Dials are nicer and more refined. I like the seats in the 15 better, they do have better lateral support and hold you tighter, but they are not on par with the BRZ. Rear legroom is great in this car (not that the 14 was bad). Definitely better than the competitors I cross-shopped. The audio system is just like the 14. I need to do the secret menu trick to flatten response, but the system is clearly lacking, but I will fix that myself very soon.

- Engine. Trying to find the right words here. Power is definitely more even throughout the power band. First gear goes by very fast, and keeping this thing under 4K is a chore. The engine is very smooth. It pulls very hard. I really like it. To me, it is not as dramatic as the EJ engine when the boost just hits you in the face. I would say it feels more refined, and definitely more torque down low. They are just different cars (EJ vs FA20DIT). I can't wait to really push this engine.

Exterior. Being honest, I have to say I like the 2015, but I don't think I prefer it to the 2014. The 2015 is more modern looking, with some clean lines, but I personally think it lost some of the character of the 2014 5 door. I think the lack of a hatch is part of it (I just prefer the look of a sporty hatch vs a sporty sedan). But I also think Subaru wanted to modernize the new WRX and make it less polarizing. Again, being honest, I think the 2014 is a better looking car at most angles. Sedan wise, I like the backend of the 2015 more. I like the 2015. I just am not as moved by it as I was with the 2014.

The wheels do look better in person than in the pictures IMHO. And while I will swap them out at some point, I don't feel like it is nearly as pressing as I originally thought when I saw the pictures of the wheels.

I am extremely happy with my decision to switch from a 2014 to a 2015. The 2015, for me, just fixes so many of the gripes I had with with the 2014. It is definitely more of a drivers car (stock vs stock). They honestly feel like two totally different cars (and yes, because they are). For me, this new WRX is much closer to driving an Evo than driving a previous gen WRX. Coming from a BRZ, the new WRX is not really giving up much at all in terms of handling, driver feedback, and gearbox. You can really tell that Subaru applied what they learned from the BRZ and really wanted to make the WRX the BRZ's big brother.

More fun to come.

Awesome stuff and great feedback! Would you mind taking a pictures of your STI Short Throw Shifter. I have the same thing i believe. I just wanted to see what yours looks like. It should have the STI logo on it and not just the plain shifter look right? The guy at the dealer ship told me that when i got my car, that is was the STI Throw Short. I just wanted to see it in another Wrx because i have yet to see the same one in others pictures they posted and i got my car Brand New as well. Original owner so it has not been customized.

Also, i reached 1k miles yesterday. So i finally got to really put it to the test. Didn't go SUPER all out, but i did go Semi Super all out lol. Man it was a BLAST. I took my wife for a ride and she took video which i will post later. But your going to love opening it up. And its going to eat you up inside every step of the way until you can lol. But SUCH a relief and i now feel like i know the car on another level. I am much more confident now in what it can do and how fast it truly is. I did a couple launches. ONE sucked but the other was very nice, Did a 80 pull to 110, 60 pull to 110, on Ramp take off. I must say. Compared to my 06. What 06 lol. I love this new car! You will hear the sound of it real good in my videos! Sounds SOOOO CLEAN

Oh YEA AND ANOTHER THING. On the BREAK IN PERIOD. Here is a interesting read someone shared in my thread yesterday. I was given almost the same advice from Uncle Scotty also when i first said i am going to "baby" this thing. I still drove lightly but you should put some spirit into it occasionally and this article might open ya up some.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by HERMON; 05-01-2014 at 09:04 AM.
HERMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.