Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
icarusjapan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 359499
Vehicle:
96 obs impreza

Question ej22e with single port hearders

i have an EJ22e with single ports... all of the research i have done said that a phase 1 ej22 should have double ports. What gives? What am i missing?

car is a 1996 obs impreza

bell housing number: tz102za4ba-gf
engine type: ej22eca5gb
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
icarusjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
Iskra
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 391259
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza2.2LS 2D
Satin black

Impreza GC8 The Bizzaro Phase 1 EJ22

I feel you, I have the same engine but its a bizarre setup that provides SHet loads of torque at the low end, The main reasons are...
  • Primitive Hydraulic AVCS that retards timing when stepping off the gas
  • Larger valves
  • Unequal length single port headers

The AVCS consists of hydraulic lashes attached to the rockers, the bad part is this means the engine has to overcome the lashes every time a valve moves taking power away, but because of the higher resistance, unequal length, and timing it will have more torque off the line than most high power cars (i once had a G35 off the line for three seconds, he was modified, i was OEM.) on a hill this setup is fast because it can put down the torque.

This brings me to the ultimate build...

the '97 doesn't have the Lashes but has the same setup with big valves and unequal single port exhaust.

get an EJ18 set of heads and you'll have more aggressive cams and dual port exhaust, (and the intake? don't quote me.) port the valve ports up to the size of the 96-97 and swap in the larger valves. Then take a 00' block since it has higher compression due to longer stroke, grab the wiring and ECU.
  • Larger valves
  • higher compression
  • aggressive cams
  • dual port exhaust
  • no Hydro lashes (or if you want them i don't disagree.)
  • Larger intake? (again don't quote me.)
  • (ebay a dual port unequal length header and it'll sound righteous.)

You'll have to use the 00' ECU, injectors... to make it match the compression but everything else will have less resistance and valve timing will be 1up

If you ask me I'd keep the lashes and go unequal length headers for torque. I threw on a cat-back and the lashes make it burp and pop when i let off the gas, its a lot of fun in Boston in the Big dig tunnel, so loud
Iskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
icarusjapan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
96 obs impreza

Thumbs up wow great information

Thanks for the information. I was just really confused. Opposed forces has nothing about this engine.

You a certainly right about the torque. My car does have a bunch of torque on the low end. Drove another ej22 and it seemed gutless compared to mine.

You have given me a lot to study. I'll look into it all. i'm very curious about the 1.8 heads that sounds great. sounds amazing
Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
icarusjapan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
96 obs impreza

Question info

anybody have anymore information on this engine? maybe why it isn't on opposing force of like websites?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
98legacywagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 392044

the only ej22 with dual port would be the 95 ej22 all others are single ports if your looking for a single port uel header buy the one from infernofab.com i have it and love it
98legacywagon is offline   Reply With Quote