Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
LifeMage
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 260130
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 Wrx

Question Help with diff and trans fluid change.

Hey all I am partaking in changing the fluid on my diffs and the transmission. (Road trip across the us from va to nm.) stage 3 roughly and wondering how much and of what kind of fluid to get. (Link to where to get and how much of the fluid to get would be awesome) thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
LifeMage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
MedicDG
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329822
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Google search is your friend
MedicDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
flat4banger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 363436
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Cobb Stg 1
WR Blue Pearl

Hey LifeMage, I'm in the RVA area too. When you decide what to get, come on over to my place and show me how to do this maintenance right. I've never done this job before. We could be tranny fluid exchange buddies!

...Wait, that sounded really bad.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...id-change.html
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/powert...id-change.html
flat4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
LifeMage
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 260130
Vehicle:
2007 Wrx

Gahahah yeah I'll be back home (currently in New Mexico) around tnge 7-9th of July. I am trying to order all the stuff and rush ship it home so I can do it all before I start my 1750 mile road trip to my base (flight medic))
LifeMage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
AWDiesel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 385748
Smile

It would be a big help if you changed motor oil before, just to have some idea of doing a fluid drain and fill.

This ain't no gosh dern rocket surgery or brain science. (That was a deliberate mixing of metaphors for those that don't get humor, satire, parody, irony, etc., or if you just thought you were going to show off how smart you aren't by attempting to correct me.)

With the trans and diff, it is not much different. You drain it out, put the plug back in, fill it.

It is preferable to have the car on four jacks stands, and level so some old oil doesn't remain in there. When I did my cars, I jacked it on one side, pulled the drain plugs, put the car down to let the oil drain out, then jacked the car back up on one side, put the plugs back in. I forgot I had four jack stands. Haven't seen two of them in many years.

The drain plugs are magnetic, clean them off.

You'll probably need the Torx bit for the drain plug on the transmission. Look into that and get the right size Torx bit. And a half inch drive or adapter for the rear diff drain/fill plugs.

Assuming you have a manual transmission here.

As far as what oil to put back in, it is like selecting a fine wine, a fine bourbon, or premium gourmet ice cream. There are many options, and whatever floats your boat should be your choice. Do a bunch of reading to see what others have done and their results, read product specs and see what gets you all geared up. Just know what specs the manufacturer requires. Mobil Synthetic Gear Oils have been wonderful changes to my cars, I won't spend another second looking at gear oils again. You need to understand that oils, for some mystical reason, evoke profound passion. Your choice of oil will piss people off and they will take it as a personal offense. That's not your problem.

Manufacturers frown upon mixing oils. Stay away from these cocktails, no need for that at all with all the great oil options out there.

For the rear diff, use a length of clear hose, about 18", that fits tightly over the nipple of a typical gear oil bottle. You can then hold the bottle up against the chassis, somewhere as high as possible, and squeeze the bottle with the hose in the fill hole.

For the trans, a funnel with about a 2' extension to get to the fill port of the transmission makes things easier, make sure it fits in the fill port. Or you can use a longer length of that hose and pump/squeeze the oil into the transmission as you did to fill the rear diff.

Make sure oil levels are filled to manufacturer's specs.

Enjoy!
AWDiesel is online now   Reply With Quote