Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #26
Aaron'z 2.5RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1026
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'00 RS/WRX Stg5
'98 RS Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by clegg318 View Post
actually since I'm a seasoned bmw master tech I really didn't care about a noise that was clearly brought about by modifying oem drivetrain components and since after 50k miles of driving with no change it was pretty clear that nothing was really wrong, just normal harmonics of the trans which now had a flywheel that was 10lbs lighter. the only reason I stumbled on the cause was that I was curious if there were any easy fixes. turns out there is, put the oem flywheel back on
Very well, but I have a LWFW and all of the upgraded bushings that should excentuate such a noise and after I replaced an obviously bad PB, the noise is GONE.. not my 3rd clutch change either.. Im no master tech, but logic prevails..
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Aaron'z 2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
95 L with ej257k
powa, Raven R6

-I have a generic brand lwfw and exedy stage one clutch in an 11 wrx transmission and 11 wrx rear end....it makes the deceleration noise. (When I first installed the trans and rear end I used the oem flywheel and clutch and it was silent)

-I previously had an exedy lwfw and another exedy stage one clutch in an 05 impreza 5mt with an old legacy rear end...it made the same exact noise.

The pilot bearing doesn't do ANYTHING when the car is in gear, it's not spinning. Maybe my being an Ase master tech doesn't make a difference, but I do all of the work on my vehicle and take special care not to damage the pilot bearing when aligning and bolting up the transmission. Wouldn't you think exedy knows a little about this since now they include the literature explaining this noise in their clutch kits? I find it hard to believe they would have so many faulty bearings out of the box, they supply so many oem manufacturers and the cars never make this noise with the oem flywheel off the showroom floor. Logic... think about it

It's the lwfw

There are several cases here where people have tons of spare time decide to install an oem heavy flywheel and the noise completely goes away. Its not logical to believe they damage the bearing in their lwfw but never damage the one in the oem.

Last edited by 2slofouru; 06-22-2014 at 07:26 PM.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #28
GM_ND_GTP
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 394732

I'm confused how a pilot bearing can cause deceleration noises. When the clutch is engaged(locked), that bearing is not turning. Do you guys think you have concentrically issues? I find it hard to believe new bearing could be off that much. I'll be sure to measure run-out on the bearing included in the clutch kit I'll be installing in the next couple weeks. I would look at the input shaft to make sure it wasn't tweeked during transmission removal. We bent the one on my sons car and I'm baffled how it happened. I have been unable to find a spec for run-out in the Subaru FSM and I'd appreciate knowing the spec if anyone knows it. I'm assuming it should be pretty much zero but I can visually see the shaft is bent when it is turned on his transmission.
GM_ND_GTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #29
JDM256
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336121

I'm having a similar problem in and out of gear in my 02 wrx(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Ok...ature=youtu.be), I was thinking it may be a pilot bearing as well.
JDM256 is offline   Reply With Quote