Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
LittleBlueGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96204
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2013 STI GR
White

Default New - Hawk Street Race

Anyone use these new pads from Hawk yet? Thoughts, comparisons to HP+ or other aggressive street pad? Noise? Dust?

Hawk Street Race Pads
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
LittleBlueGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
LittleBlueGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96204
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2013 STI GR
White

Default

Finally got a hold of Hawk, talked to their tech guy, and this is what he told me.

The new Street Race pad is derived from their DTC30 compound, but made a bit more street friendly. It has chamfered edges and shims to make it quieter.

I told him the HP+ perform well, but were IMO old tech, and made too much noise/dust for the performance. He (without dissing his own product) agreed, and said, "the HP+ were a great pad.... 10 yrs ago"..

I am very happy to hear this, as I really like the DTC60/70 for track use, and I wanted something that was compatible as far as the compound was concerned for street use. (Street Race are compatible with the DTC line)

I didn't like the HP+ pads as I had used better pads for the street that didn't make as much noise, but performed just as well.

The only thing we need now is some user reviews!
LittleBlueGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 60082
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Default

Define "tech guy." Typically when you contact a company you are talking with a sales representative rather than say an engineer. A guy in sales will lie through their teeth to generate sales. They just do. It's part of their job. I'm not denouncing Hawk or the person you spoke to, nor am I implying that the information you received is incorrect in any way. Rather, I am simply suggesting it's tough to take anything anyone with a vested interest in the company as absolute and without bias.

If you're curious about the pad, try it out. You might like it. You might not. It's new. Probably no one here has ever used that pad. I'm not really sure what kind of feedback you're expecting to get. It's just a new product. You might as well be the first to buy into it and see how it goes. We all sort of make the plunge on stuff. I dove into the Carbotech XP8 product blindly as a mix daily/sport pad when no one was really using them in such a way and fell in love with them. I've never used Hawk, but most companies make good stuff. Brakes are a lot about personal preference though because we all have preferences in behavior. The hardest part is typically finding something that really suits you and your preferences rather than simply the raw performance of the pad.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

yeah...but...are they cheaper than the stoptech street performance pads???
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
LittleBlueGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96204
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2013 STI GR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Runner View Post
Define "tech guy." Typically when you contact a company you are talking with a sales representative rather than say an engineer. A guy in sales will lie through their teeth to generate sales. They just do. It's part of their job. I'm not denouncing Hawk or the person you spoke to, nor am I implying that the information you received is incorrect in any way. Rather, I am simply suggesting it's tough to take anything anyone with a vested interest in the company as absolute and without bias.

If you're curious about the pad, try it out. You might like it. You might not. It's new. Probably no one here has ever used that pad. I'm not really sure what kind of feedback you're expecting to get. It's just a new product. You might as well be the first to buy into it and see how it goes. We all sort of make the plunge on stuff. I dove into the Carbotech XP8 product blindly as a mix daily/sport pad when no one was really using them in such a way and fell in love with them. I've never used Hawk, but most companies make good stuff. Brakes are a lot about personal preference though because we all have preferences in behavior. The hardest part is typically finding something that really suits you and your preferences rather than simply the raw performance of the pad.

It was their tech guy, and not their sales guy. And yes, I completely understand your point. That is why I talked to him about the HP+ (which they still sell) and he seemed to be honest about them (old tech, not the greatest anymore).
LittleBlueGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
LittleBlueGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96204
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2013 STI GR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
yeah...but...are they cheaper than the stoptech street performance pads???
No, but the pads aren't even in the same category, IMO. (so I don't care)

A popular vendor has the ST for $70ish vs the Hawk for $170ish. From everything I have read the ST are not near as aggressive, and cannot take the same temps as these pads.
LittleBlueGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT View Post
No, but the pads aren't even in the same category, IMO. (so I don't care)

A popular vendor has the ST for $70ish vs the Hawk for $170ish. From everything I have read the ST are not near as aggressive, and cannot take the same temps as these pads.
but....then...why don't you just get real pads and stay away from the hawks???

there is a fundamental problem here....that I don't think you are seeing

that many of us HAVE seen

if you are using race pads on the street....yer doin something wrong
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
LittleBlueGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96204
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2013 STI GR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
but....then...why don't you just get real pads and stay away from the hawks???

there is a fundamental problem here....that I don't think you are seeing

that many of us HAVE seen

if you are using race pads on the street....yer doin something wrong
Can you read?

Quote:
I am very happy to hear this, as I really like the DTC60/70 for track use, and I wanted something that was compatible as far as the compound was concerned for street use. (Street Race are compatible with the DTC line)
I want aggressive street pads for street use, and I want pads that are compatible with the DTC60s that I use for the track. These seem to fit the bill.

In the past I used HP+, they were fairly aggressive street pads, but were very noisy. I wanted something similiar in performance for the street, but that have a compatible compound for what I use at the track.

On my last car with an AP BBK I used Mintex Motorsport Xtreme pads (read aggressive street pad) and they were just as good as the HP+ in performance, but were not near as noisy. I also had minor bedding issues going back and forth from the Mintex pads to the DTC line of pads.

It would seem that these new pads might provide what I want in a street pad. They also might work well for AutoX so I might not need to change pads for that.
LittleBlueGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

so what's yer point???

buy the damned things and put 'em on the car
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
LittleBlueGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96204
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Winnipeg
Vehicle:
2013 STI GR
White

Default

I was looking for info that didn't seem to be available at the time.

Maybe others would also like to know. It is called sharing.

Maybe others have info about the subject they would like to share.

If you don't want to add anything helpful, but just wish to belittle, I respectfully ask you don't post anything.




Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
LittleBlueGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Joshfl420
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353788
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: S Florida
Vehicle:
10 WRX
Tuned by AlanSnackbar

Default

It's his MO
Joshfl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
KNS Brakes
NASIOC Storefront Vendor
 
Member#: 125739
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
Who needs brakes?
Call: 919-420-0021

Default

Hawk is clearly realigning the brand a bit.

The 5.0 is a bit more aggressive HPS which has been noted to lack bite in some applications and the Street - Race is intended to replace the much aligned HP+. We will see how that ends.

We ran the -30's several years ago on the street when they came out with overall very good results. One car was a C5 and the other was a GD STi.

The 5.0 has at least some chance to squeal in sensitive applications like the STi but the Brembo equipped Mustang we did was fine for the short time we drove the car.

The street- race will probably make noise on an STi - but if it's manageable and can take the high heat better than it's a win. It's likely for the most part a renamed DTC-30 w. shims and chamfers.

We've only sold a few sets so far but one guy is definitely going to give feedback.

-Ken

Oh yeah.. Hi Scotty!

KNS Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS Brakes View Post
Hawk is clearly realigning the brand a bit.

The 5.0 is a bit more aggressive HPS which has been noted to lack bite in some applications and the Street - Race is intended to replace the much aligned HP+. We will see how that ends.

We ran the -30's several years ago on the street when they came out with overall very good results. One car was a C5 and the other was a GD STi.

The 5.0 has at least some chance to squeal in sensitive applications like the STi but the Brembo equipped Mustang we did was fine for the short time we drove the car.

The street- race will probably make noise on an STi - but if it's manageable and can take the high heat better than it's a win. It's likely for the most part a renamed DTC-30 w. shims and chamfers.

We've only sold a few sets so far but one guy is definitely going to give feedback.

-Ken

Oh yeah.. Hi Scotty!


its good to see hawk doing SOMETHING....but just re-branding pads a bit is at best

anyway....its always when people pop in wanting product reviews on products that have been sold for all of 5 minutes



Hi sweetums
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.