Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
Subasaurus Rex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5269
Vehicle:
1998 Forester L
Black Diamond Pearl

Question Need help with swap plans... those with WRX motor in GC body please comment

OK... I can't seem to decide what to do, so I'm seeking your advice.

I was originally going to turbo my 2.5 with WRX parts and a standalone ECU. But, because of the obvious reliability issues, I have chosen to scrap that idea. I'm now thinking of doing a complete swap to either a 2.0 WRX engine, or a 2.5 STi engine and use the appropriate wiring harness/ECU. I want to go this route because it seems (to me anyway) to be a more reliable way of getting the power I want. I'm kind of leaning towards the WRX motor, and then tuning it up to around 275-300hp. I'm a little afraid that the STi motor will destroy my existing tranny/drivetrain (which I would rather not swap out).

Could the people that have done either of these swaps into a GC body please comment on their setup, how they like it, how reliable it is, and how does the car perform compared to your original motor? Will I lose a lot of the low-end grunt compared to the 2.5n/a when going to the WRX setup, or does that get evened out because it's in a lighter chassis?

Please let me know your comments. Thanks.
Subasaurus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote