Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 1, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:37 PM   #1
beethoven
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6654
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 Odyssey
2006 Prius

Default Bleeding Clutch

What size plastic hose fits on the bleed nipple for bleeding the clutch? 1/4"?
beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2002, 04:15 PM   #2
munkis
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1847
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
Team Broken: V6 GF
rallyarmor.com

that sounds about right.. hehe, just try a couple till you find one that fits well

Jay
munkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:39 PM   #3
PLAYER
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 19340
Vehicle:
94 Impreza WRX
Red

To bleed it properly it must be removed from the box as the bleed nipple is on the bottom not the top, can be a real pain!
PLAYER
PLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 02:22 PM   #4
beethoven
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Odyssey
2006 Prius

Now I've done it!!!

So, I'm out there trying to bleed the clutch today and this is what I'm doing:

Wife pushed clutch to the floor.
I open bleeder and get a squirt of fluid.
I close bleeder, clutch pedal has to be lifted back up.

Now, subsequent pushes on the clutch pedal do not squirt out any (or much fluid). In fact, the pedal actually gets pulled down after you move it about 1".

Is my master cylinder not working correctly? How do I get pressure back into the slave?
Old 07-14-2002, 06:01 PM   #5
beethoven
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Odyssey
2006 Prius

Anyone??

Man, this thing is pissing me off!

Another thing I've notices is that when the clutch pedal is out, the clutch fork does not even touch the pin from the slave cylinder. That can't be right. I know my through-out bearing has been squeaking....could it be totally shot and binding up the clutch fork?
Old 07-14-2002, 06:17 PM   #6
beethoven
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Odyssey
2006 Prius

Here's what the slave cylinder and clutch fork look like. See how they don't touch....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p7140011_2.jpg (39.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-14-2002, 11:39 PM   #7
BLZ2DWL:
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9919
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy

It could very possibly be a mechanical defect, though I would attemp bleeding it more before I bought any parts.The fact that the rod never hits the fork tells me that there is not enough fluid in the system. What I usually do is open the bleeder about a full turn and leave it. Fill it up with fluid and see if it drains out. With the resevoir full, let it sit with the bleeder open and the resevoir cap off for 15 minutes making sure that the resevoir never empties. This is called gravity bleeding. That will take alot of air out. Then see what you've got. You will then probably have to bleed it with the pedal a few times. Just to make sure you bled it right, the procedure is pedal down, bleeder open, fluid out, bleeder closed, pedal up. DO NOT pump the pedal. Many feel that this will get the pressure built up, but what it does is break the large bubbles of air into smaller bubbles and spreads the air out through the system making it really hard to ever get all the air out. If all this fails, get a self bleeder kit for $5 at your local parts store. This system will let you open the bleeder and hook it to a bottle that you put OVER the bleeder screw and when you pump the pedal, air rises out of the bottle, but when you let off the pedal it sucks fluid in from the bottle. This way you never have to close the bleeder between repetitions. I hope this help you some.

Brennan
BLZ2DWL: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 11:44 PM   #8
BLZ2DWL:
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9919
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy

Oh yeah, becuase the bleeder is on the bottom, air does not want to come out of it. As PLAYER said, you could take the slave off the trans and turn it upside down so the bleeder points up. Alternatively, you can loosen the hose to the slave and bleed the line the same way you would bleed the slave, just treating the banjo bolt on the hose as you would treat the bleeder screw on the slave.

Brennan
BLZ2DWL: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:15 AM   #9
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

I bled mine with a vacuum/bleeder pump, 30 bucks at an auto store. It took forever. I removed as much fluid in the reservoir as possible and filled it with clean fluid. I removed the bleeder and put some Teflon tape on the threads, replaced it an hooked up the vacuum pump. I cracked the bleeder and drew a vacuum. It took a very long time to get any fluid out. Like an hour to get about half the reservoir. When it was almost empty I stopped and filled the fluid to the line again. The pedal was to the floor. I pumped it multiple times by hand then had to use my foot before it felt right. At first I thought it would never get back to normal. It just takes a while is all.

Peaty

PS the reason I put Teflon tape on the threads is when I drew the vacuum air would bleed around the threads of the bleeder fitting looking air in the system that wasn't there. The tape prevented that.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:16 AM   #10
beethoven
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Odyssey
2006 Prius

Well, it sounds like I was bleeding it correctly. I'll try the gravity bleed tonight...and maybe buy a kit.

What is really odd is how the clutch pedal sits on the floor. It's not just hanging there, but it actually takes about 5 lbs of force to pull it off of the floor. Is this normal when the fluid in the slave is low?
Old 07-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #11
crayon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16073
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sport Wagon
WR Blue

Why not reverse bled it. It works great and you don't
have to pull the slave loose.

See my post in the following discussion:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=203942
crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 08:10 PM   #12
beethoven
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Odyssey
2006 Prius

That will be tomorrow's attempt.

Today I used a vacuum bleeder and didn't get anything out of it. Before that I tried the gravity bleed for an hour and didn't get a thing. It almost looks like something is blocking the fluid from flowing into the slave.

Is there anyway I can test the individual components?