Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
dwx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8343
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2005 2012 Jeep
2013 DGM BRZ

Default 05 STI front spindles different than 04?

We tried to put a set of WRX coilovers on an 05 STI yesterday and ran into a slight problem. The width of the strut mounting points on the front spindle is too wide. I have a set of JDM 03 STI takeoffs with the newer rear tophats, which I think are the same as the 04 USDM STI suspension, and those are not the same width.

The spindle and struts on the 05 have a mounting width of about 3cm whereas the WRX is about 2.5cm, so it's not a small difference. It didn't really surprise me with the wheel hub change but it means there likely won't be any coilover/strut options for the 05 for awhile. The rears are exactly the same as the WRX.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
dorao
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29636
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Crystal Grey

Default

oops; double posted. Still pissed off though..



Masuo
dorao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Leonardo
Consigliere
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 185
Join Date: Aug 1999
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando, Fl
Vehicle:
2009 Civic EX
Silver

Default

So you have two SN's?

Thats a big no-no!

Which SN you want to keep and which do I kill?

Leo
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
dwx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8343
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2005 2012 Jeep
2013 DGM BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonardo
So you have two SN's?

Thats a big no-no!

Which SN you want to keep and which do I kill?

Leo
What? We were both working on the car, read the actual post. I only have like 5600 posts...
dwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
MK19_
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49148
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Plantation, FL
Vehicle:
Dogs are forever in
the pushup position...

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dwx
What? We were both working on the car, read the actual post. I only have like 5600 posts...
GO easy kids.... play nice- Phil! Go register for Peru; Leo! finish your cup of coffee man, it'll be ok
MK19_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 AM   #6
subysouth
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5039
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default

Whoa, Leo's in a vendetta kinda mood this morning, I feel sorry for any unsuspecting noob in teh OT.

On you post DWX, thats huge news(and not particularly good), thanks for posting.

ss
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
driggity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7453
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Grapevine, TX
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
2006 LJ Rubicon

Default

Very interesting. Did you notice anything different about the front struts compared to the 04s or does it just look like they changed the mounting width?
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
dwx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8343
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2005 2012 Jeep
2013 DGM BRZ

Default

I didn't look over them very closely but it just looked like the mounting width.

I also looked over the new steering rack mounting previously and it is quite a bit different on the drivers side than the old one. It has no bushing but an integrated solid bracket that is connected to the chassis. The passenger side uses the same bushing.
dwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
driggity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7453
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Grapevine, TX
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
2006 LJ Rubicon

Default

Does it look like you could swap the steering rack mount to one of the 02-04 cars easily? I wonder if this mount is the same as the improved mounting that the Saab 9-2x uses.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
dorao
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29636
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Crystal Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonardo
So you have two SN's?

Thats a big no-no!

Which SN you want to keep and which do I kill?

Leo


We are two different people.

I have an 05 STi, Phil has the quite well known auto-x monster.

BTW, anybody have a contact at apexi? I'd like new lower perches for the front coilovers that fit the 05...

Masuo
dorao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #11
Tranzition
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48657
Join Date: Nov 2003
Default Re: 05 STI front spindles different than 04?

Quote:
Originally posted by dwx
We tried to put a set of WRX coilovers on an 05 STI yesterday and ran into a slight problem. The width of the strut mounting points on the front spindle is too wide. I have a set of JDM 03 STI takeoffs with the newer rear tophats, which I think are the same as the 04 USDM STI suspension, and those are not the same width.

The spindle and struts on the 05 have a mounting width of about 3cm whereas the WRX is about 2.5cm, so it's not a small difference. It didn't really surprise me with the wheel hub change but it means there likely won't be any coilover/strut options for the 05 for awhile. The rears are exactly the same as the WRX.
As much as i hate to hear the news, good post... This will save me from placing an incorrect order...


Anyone have any idea when Cusco Zero2's will be out for the 2005 model?
Tranzition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #12
dwx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8343
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2005 2012 Jeep
2013 DGM BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by driggity
Does it look like you could swap the steering rack mount to one of the 02-04 cars easily? I wonder if this mount is the same as the improved mounting that the Saab 9-2x uses.
From what I could tell it's integrated into the steering rack, so no you couldn't use it on another car. The mounting holes on the chassis aren't on the other models either. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the same as the Saab.

As for availability of 05 coilovers; I don't think the newer model cars with the 5x114.3 bolt pattern and new hubs are available in Japan yet so it may be some time before any JDM coilovers will be available.
dwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:02 PM   #13
anotherB4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6120
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Tokyo
Vehicle:
BE5B AVOed B4-RSK
Sorta White

Default

Did no one mention that there is a new front bearing/hub carrier? Pinched from the Legacy no less

Wonder what the rear arms look like?
anotherB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #14
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dwx

As for availability of 05 coilovers; I don't think the newer model cars with the 5x114.3 bolt pattern and new hubs are available in Japan yet so it may be some time before any JDM coilovers will be available.
I think that the 5x114.3 will fool a lot of people
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:26 AM   #15
anotherB4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6120
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Tokyo
Vehicle:
BE5B AVOed B4-RSK
Sorta White

Default

Ooops - my post shoulda said the bearing is from the Legacy, I believe the hub carrier is all new.
anotherB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:15 AM   #16
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default Hollow rear lateral links.....

has anyone addressed the fact that the 05 comes with hollow alloy rear lateral links?.....they are black powder coated and VERY lightweight. Sti offers them in silver paint with a pink STi emblem.
I have had people with 05s calling to order the pink trailing and I let them know, hey, you have the trick parts already, with stiffer bushings, and nice end link mounts for the market of JDM links that'll be available soon!! ***website not updted yet***

944 turbo guy

Myles Williams
Racecomp Engineering LLC
www.racecompengineering.com

2720 Sisson st .
Baltimore, Md 21211
410-366-RACE (7223)
410-707-0108 cell
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:21 AM   #17
anotherB4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6120
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Tokyo
Vehicle:
BE5B AVOed B4-RSK
Sorta White

Default Re: Hollow rear lateral links.....

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceComp Engineering
has anyone addressed the fact that the 05 comes with hollow alloy rear lateral links?.....they are black powder coated and VERY lightweight. Sti offers them in silver paint with a pink STi emblem.
I have had people with 05s calling to order the pink trailing and I let them know, hey, you have the trick parts already, with stiffer bushings, and nice end link mounts for the market of JDM links that'll be available soon!! ***website not updted yet***

944 turbo guy

Myles Williams
Racecomp Engineering LLC
www.racecompengineering.com

2720 Sisson st .
Baltimore, Md 21211
410-366-RACE (7223)
410-707-0108 cell
Good one Myles, I was waiting for someone to chime in
anotherB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:32 AM   #18
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Thanks " another B4"...its good to know bigbrother Subaru gods are listening...lol just kidding. Hows it on your side of the world?

I ordered mine already !! Cant wait.

The other issue is ,.that the 2005 cars have black painted shocks. And different part #.This will either be bad for the car, or very good. I think Subaru has addressed the issue of the boucey rear struts and the seizing piston seals and clunks. My wife works for Subaru, so I have driven a bunch of 05 STis already. The steering is better, and the ride is different, yet almost "loss of words" so close in feel that I cant put my finger on what I feel different. Keep in mind, I am used to communicating and giving suspension feedback in racing, so it amazes me that it stumps me. But I do think they have addressed many issues in the 2005 car. Hopefully they make a positive difference.

944 turbo guy

Myles Williams
Racecomp Engineering LLC
www.racecompengineering.com

2720 Sisson st .
Baltimore, Md 21211
410-366-RACE (7223)
410-707-0108 cell
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:46 AM   #19
grippgoat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62182
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default

I'm not sure the links are powder-coated. Mine look like there's just some kind of pasticky / rubbery coating on the straight part, and they're plain billet where they connect up to the uprights. I could of course be wrong.

I have very, very little 04 STI seat time, but I can definitely vouch for the fact that the 05 STI's rear end is bouncy, and frankly pretty ****ty. I still say the handling on the STI is nowhere near as good as it should be given the (lack of) ride quality. It's like they took a suspension that could have been really good, and then pooched the spring and shocks to make it softer over speedbumps. But rough pavement still shakes the car a lot, and the car gets unsettled by things that just don't seem like they should unsettle it.

There's four 04 STI's at work, and I swear they all sit lower than my car in the back end by a good half inch at least, if that gives anyone any theories.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to try STI pinks with the stock struts, or hold out for coil-overs, or maybe ground controls. But I'm a little worried that pinks won't work as well on the 05 as they do on the 04, because of possible differences in strut valving. And I'm not sure I'll like the drop on the pinks. But if coil-overs won't be available any time soon, that complicates things.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:07 AM   #20
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default word to the wise....

Make sure what ever set up you go with , make sure its an actual upgrade, as I see alot of people go backwards with their suspensions on the STi in particular , putting on cheap alternatives, in favor of lower stance, or just wayyy oversprung, but underdamped cheap coilovers, or coilover band-aids I call them. Alot of companies can repackage a product(poo) and still have a lousy product that looks really evolved. Be aware !! 1+1 still = 2, at least most of the time.

as usual, just my .02 cents worth.

944 turbo guy
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:56 AM   #21
anotherB4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6120
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Tokyo
Vehicle:
BE5B AVOed B4-RSK
Sorta White

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RaceComp Engineering
Thanks " another B4"...its good to know bigbrother Subaru gods are listening...lol just kidding. Hows it on your side of the world?

I ordered mine already !! Cant wait.

The other issue is ,.that the 2005 cars have black painted shocks. And different part #.This will either be bad for the car, or very good. I think Subaru has addressed the issue of the boucey rear struts and the seizing piston seals and clunks. My wife works for Subaru, so I have driven a bunch of 05 STis already. The steering is better, and the ride is different, yet almost "loss of words" so close in feel that I cant put my finger on what I feel different. Keep in mind, I am used to communicating and giving suspension feedback in racing, so it amazes me that it stumps me. But I do think they have addressed many issues in the 2005 car. Hopefully they make a positive difference.

944 turbo guy

Myles Williams
Racecomp Engineering LLC
www.racecompengineering.com

2720 Sisson st .
Baltimore, Md 21211
410-366-RACE (7223)
410-707-0108 cell
Myles, I'll tell you about it in a couple of weeks after I've had a big blast around some decent roads

I think the new car's sus settings and rear should lock things down even better (and reduce unsprung by a couple of pounds). Then there is the improvement to the DCCD <hint: new sensor> Add that new front hub (stiffer and more efficient) and there's plenty of room for IMHO.

Put it this way, it seems like a certain well known driver has put in a sub-8 minute lap at the 'Ring. Of course, to get there, the JDM has got some nice engine upgrades, among other things, too

Cheers
anotherB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:48 AM   #22
RaceComp Engineering
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 54202
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkridge, Maryland
Vehicle:
ASK ABOUT NEW RCE
SWAY BARS FOR STI

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by anotherB4
Myles, I'll tell you about it in a couple of weeks after I've had a big blast around some decent roads

I think the new car's sus settings and rear should lock things down even better (and reduce unsprung by a couple of pounds). Then there is the improvement to the DCCD <hint: new sensor> Add that new front hub (stiffer and more efficient) and there's plenty of room for IMHO.

Put it this way, it seems like a certain well known driver has put in a sub-8 minute lap at the 'Ring. Of course, to get there, the JDM has got some nice engine upgrades, among other things, too

Cheers
Leave it to you and Hansen to drop the hints and info that send our world into a tank slapper !! Thanks "Another" for the info,...let us know after you drive it.

944 turbo guy
RaceComp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #23
StopTech
Vendor
 
Member#: 13134
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Seal Gray Brake Dust

Default

Hopefully those new hubs will get rid of the knockback...

Tim
www.stoptech.com
StopTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:30 AM   #24
grippgoat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62182
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by StopTech
Hopefully those new hubs will get rid of the knockback...

Tim
www.stoptech.com
I haven't noticed any yet.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:36 AM   #25
Subahaulic
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 51163
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: northern virginia
Vehicle:
02-5 02WRXwgn &05FXT
sedona & cayenne red

Default

Back on topic--

Would it be feasible to swap 05 STi front spindles w/ 02-04's to be able to adapt Teins?

Mark
Subahaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to tell difference between 04/05 STI HID headlights from regular 04/05 headlight Cyclonus Newbies & FAQs 13 04-04-2008 04:38 AM
FS:NYC 04 STI Front Spindle with Rotor 19K miles.. Great Condition NotoriousD Suspension/Brakes/Handling 4 10-30-2007 02:27 PM
03 tranny feels different than 04/05? gyroeMUNKEE Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 12 01-20-2005 11:57 AM
Wtb Sti Rear Spindle/hub Assemblys 04/05 6sp highboostinrex Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 12-22-2004 11:42 AM
05 STi front spindle is different dorao Brakes, Steering & Suspension 2 06-03-2004 02:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.