Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-21-2001, 11:53 AM   #1
Lim
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11425
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza TS
Blue

Default TS drive test. Clutch questions.

I am (or I was) about to buy a Subaru TS 2002. I have spent a lot of time reading Subaru forums and other materials about Subaru and became very enthusiastic about having one. Today we (my wife and I) went to a Subaru dealership. Actually we have visited two of them and had a good offer in first one (free fog lamps and some discount on alarm system with keyless entry, in second one dealer ask 600CND for lamps), but second one has ready TS for a test drive, so we have driven it.
We prefer car with manual transmission and unfortunately this part was really disappointed. Now we are thinking is it because car was new and it has to be break in to became better and may be we just have to use to it? Please help us with next questions, we are having second drive test on Monday (at first dealership) and may be it will help to change our impression.

1) Very notchy shifting. It is short (can be good if I get used to it) but not that easy to get into right place especially when you down shifting or putting on reverse. Is it going to become better? How long it takes to break in shifter and make it smoother?
2) Clutch pedal. It is not releasing with constant force. When you pushed it to the floor and start releasing it at beginning it slows down then became normal. I don’t know why they did it, may be to help people to start moving, but I don’t like it. I was always over pushing engine waiting clutch pedal to release. Is it on all models? Can it be adjust to make clutch pedal to release more quickly? It really increases shifting time and doesn’t help to feel myself in sporty (Ok it is TS, but still Impreza) car.

Is it going to imrove with time?
Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2001, 07:39 PM   #2
JGard
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1904
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
E36 M3/4/5

I know exactly what you mean with the clutch. It was a real concern when I first bought my RS way back when...

anyway, I obviously got the car, and I can't even notice it. It was werid for about the first day...but after that I got used to it, and now it's worn so that it's not even a problem.

The easiest way to cope with it, is to realize that the point in the pedal where it changes resistance, is the point where the clutch catches...meaning, that's about as far as you have to depress the pedal to shift and such...so it's kinda nice like that, too
JGard is offline   Reply With Quote