Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-26-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
84 SCOOBY
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37019
Default 93' impreza swap

what would be the best swap into a 93' impreza

i was thinking about the 2.5L RS engine if i could find one
might be hard to find and then put a turbo on it

or i my other thought was one from an sti if it would work
but if it could it sure would be more expensive

plus could i leave the original drivetrain in or would/should i cahnge that too

or is it a stupid idea and should i scrap my plan altogether
84 SCOOBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 09:25 PM   #2
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

Sorry, but there are about a gazillion threads that would answer all of this stuff. Please do a search and if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
84 SCOOBY
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37019

basically i am asking for some help, i dont know where to start or what to do, i dont know anybody who knows anything about engine swaps

one big question is can i do it one piece at a time and still drive the car or would it have to sit until the project is finished

but if you want specifics
i want to put an sti sti version 5 - version 7 somewhere in that ballpark in a 93 impreza

now if i could do that could i just swap the engine straight in, or do i need a the transmission or well, or do i need the whole drive train
84 SCOOBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:14 AM   #4
scobaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31345
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
05 LGT, GC8, NA
blue, white, blue

you can do anything with enough money is what alot of people say around here on the forms everything is possible with enough cash
scobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:19 AM   #5
scobaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31345
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
05 LGT, GC8, NA
blue, white, blue

lol I didn't finish my post anyways AS I was saying ver. 5-7 motors will be expensive. one thing you'll have to look at is I think after 96 or 97 cars had to have some emissions controll crap called obd 2 and your car is obd 1 so you'd have to convert to that witch is more work as far as things dropping in it should be simple u'd need a cross member for whatever motor u decide to put in like if u got a legacy 2.2 turbo motor u'd need that leacy's 2.2 crossmemeber. as far as my understanding of subarus go witch isn't really far your tranny should work but u'd need a different flywheel and clutch because EJ series trannys work with ej motors but theres stuff still different with it so not everything is interchangable. Do u have an AWD impreza? cuz thats a factor also u might wanna convert to AWD . for the most part the swap itself isnt' hard its the wiring thats gonna nipp you in the butt
scobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Vehicle:
2008 STI

Ok, the best swap would ultimately be the STi V8 Type RA Spec C. ( I think thats right). You would have to "massage" the transmission tunnel to fit the 6 speed though. Easiest swap? EJ22 from a pre-MY96. Natty? EJ25 from MY00+. Really depends what you want. If you want a turbo motor, I would suggest putting in an EJ20 or EJ22. To swap in an EJ25 and then turbo it would be over the cost of a full EJ20 swap, not to mention much lower reliability. If you go with any STi motor, it will almost immediately be double the cost of a non-sti swap.

The drivetrain is technically all the parts needed to make the car go. That includes, drivelines, axles, transmission, diffs, engine, etc. So no, you can't leave your original drivetrain in if you are going to do an engine swap. However, since Subaru is owned by FHI (an engineering company) most things are interchangable. Your existing transmission, for instance, will bolt up to any EJ series engine.

If you go with one of the transmissions that come with a turbo EJ motor, then you will need the clutch and flywheel that go with the pull-type clutch. Otherwise, you need the push-type clutch (which is what you currently have). I don't know about the earlier trannies, but all the later trannies are a hydraulic clutch so you would also have to swap in the hydraulic brake/clutch pedal assembly as well as the clutch master cylinder. Don't worry, it all bolts in.

You don't have to do ALL of the swap at once. I am, for instance, swapping the brakes from a WRX onto my car. Then I'll be installing the WRX transsmission and rear diff while converting my car to a hydraulic clutch. After I've prepared the wiring harness, I'll finish the swap by putting in the motor and wiring harness. I-speedUSA just swaps in the wiring and the USDM WRX engines and leaves the rest of the drivetrain unmodified.

To put a turbo motor into your car, you need a turbo crossmember that has provisions for the up-pipe. It does not have to be any specific turbo crossmember. If you do get one from a USDM WRX, then you will find that the front control arm bushings are wider on the WRX than on previous generations and so you will need to find WRX wagon control arms, the WRX bushings and have them pressed in, or just shim it with washers.

As was stated previously, the swaps themselves are not that difficult and could be done with somebody familiar with the mechanics of a car, but the wiring is a lot more difficult and requires strong troubleshooting skills, solding/wiring skills, patience, and the ability to read/interpret wiring diagrams.

Dig through the threads in this forum and you can get a lot of specifics about things I'm posting about.

-Jon
Old 05-27-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Vehicle:
2008 STI

One other thing I forgot to mention: Since you are using a MY93 Impreza, you do not have to deal with OBD-II. You can convert your car up to OBD-II if you want, but you could also do aftermarket engine management and not have to worry about failing emissions due to OBD-II codes. There are a couple guys who purchased old Liberty EJ20 motors for between $650-850 and are swapping them in. Also, up until the STi V7, the JDM engines did not have OBD-II. Although Lachute Subaru does have the ability to get the JDM engines to run with OBD-II. Personally, I think it would be a serious pain to convert to OBD-II.

-Jon
Old 05-31-2003, 11:56 PM   #8
garface
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1581
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY00 RS/STi7
MY01 RS Both Silverthorne

84 scooby, sent you a pm and email.
garface is offline   Reply With Quote