Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
2ez4me
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 237228
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Default 02 Legacy Outback Diagnostics port issue

I have a 02 legacy outback, put in a jdm dohc ej25 and runs but only on 2 cylinders at idle, threw CEL instantly and i went to hook up my scan tool and shows the little pic of car in corner like it should so its gettin power from car but wont connect. Keeps trying and errors out saying unable establish connection. No matter what scan tool i try

EDITED.....runs good, see below

Last edited by 2ez4me; 07-12-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

It sounds like the scanners you are trying to use don't work with the ISO-9141 protocol that Subarus use. Have you checked that out? If they do then it sounds like a data line connection problem. Check pins 7 and 15 out and make sure they are making good connection back to the ECU. Here is a link for some reference on OBD-2.

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html
Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
2ez4me
Scooby Newbie

all scanners i used worked with mine and several others subarus, including 02 wrx's so they should be fine. Thanks for the info on connector pins. Ill check them tonight when i go out
Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

So the scanners have been proven then. If you can't find a wiring problem on the data or ground leads then the ECU would be suspect.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
2ez4me
Scooby Newbie

Could the ECU be bad even though it runs and drives good? for the most part.

The previous owner had the JDM avcs heads wiring harness hooked up for the first few days and ran rough and wasnt the smoothest. Could that have messed with the ecu?

Its all back to stock ecu and harness's

It has a loose connection for the power but i cant get it to connect at all no matter what i do. I undid the wiring harness all the way up to under the steering wheel area, No breaks or anything. So im sure it has a loose pin, But i can get it to stablize and i cant get it to connect no matter what.
I hear that the ecu could be bad but could it still run good? I have a CEL but have no idea what for, since it went off when i figured all the other stuff out and came on when i hit the highway and floored it once.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I suggest you ohm out the data lines to make sure they are ok. If they are good and power is ok on the port port then the data port of the ECU may be damaged.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
2ez4me
Scooby Newbie

I had a loose connection at connector, went and salvaged one and redid it and now i have good connection and all wiring is good. I suspect that maybe ECU? Looks like its been out before. Can an ecu have a bad diag section of ecu and nothing else wrong with it?

Also could the PO hookin it up to w DOHC with avcs wiring harness and ran it could have messed with the ecu?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

If it's the JDM ECU it may not be able to communicate with an OBDII scanner. Anyway I see you have a similar thread in the Conversions forum where I was going to move this, so I'll just close it. I'm sure you'll get what you need over there.
Closed Thread