Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
fizay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64011
Default After routine reflash, Fuel Pump Won't Prime

I have a problem with some weird symptoms: After routinely flashing these past 2 weeks e-tuning an 05 WRX Stage 2. I got my final flash today. Flashed it on my way out to lunch using ECUFlash, running the test flash run prior to the actual flash. Everything passed. Turned off ignition, unplugged green wires and reflash adapter, and then fired her up. Car cranks but seems to be getting no fuel.

OK... so I try to revert to the previous revision ROM. Plugging back into test/diagnostics mode, I do not hear the fans pick up and turn off like usual, and I also notice no flashing "Check Engine" light. I try to connect to the ECU, but no dice. Then, tried to reset via battery ground removal and brake pump, a reset didn't work either. Lastly I checked the fuses briefly, but nothing looked fried. Might have to recheck, and swap. Is it SBF #2 I have to look for?

Everything else seems to be working fine, no dimming of lights of anything. Do I have a blown ECU on my hands?

TL;DR: Flash went smoothly, but fuel pump wouldn't go after, did I bork my ECU?

Last edited by fizay; 05-30-2014 at 08:19 PM.
fizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Mattman57
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346692
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Do you know if your car has an immobilizer?
Mattman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
fizay
Scooby Newbie

No, it's an 05 WRX.

I should note that I have an OEM fuel pump and injectors, and the car got me to work that morning. I flashed around noon time that day. There was no indication the fuel pump was going out. Do fuel pump usually shows signs before going??
Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
fizay
Scooby Newbie

I've been PMing this fellow about his thread from a while back:

06 sti wont start.wont go into test mode. Ecu will not connect to apv2

I have very similar symptoms except NO fuel pump prime (at least I can't hear it), and he said that it was the neutral safety switch atop his transmission that did him over.

Unfortunately, I do not think the pump is priming, nor do I hear a single click from the fuel pump relay, so in my mind this sounds like the signal from the ECU never transmitted.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Mattman57
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Ah the neutral safety switch would definitely be something to check out. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

But yeah was just throwing it out there cause I know some people have aftermarket immobilizers. Though usually the fuel pump will still prime
Old 05-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
fizay
Scooby Newbie

Wouldn't a bad neutral switch throw a CEL though?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Mattman57
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

In essence it should. I personally never had issues with the neutral safety switch except the trigger switch by the firewall being finicky (and that was in an E46).

Though it sounds like your issue is definitely different. You have any luck recently trying to read the ECU yet? Or same issue?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
fizay
Scooby Newbie

Reading was intermittent. I was able to connect ONCE with Learning view. Romraider was no go. Then after that, it was no connectivity whatsoever.

Anyways, it turns out it was a bricked ECU. I got a replacement in yesterday night and it fired first crank. For future reference/those using the search function, if you flashed your 05 WRX and it turns over, but doesn't fire, there is NO initial click of the fuel pump relay and no fuel pump priming sound, chances are you fried the ECU.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
jaxscuby
Sammo Hung

Member#: 10613
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 USDM WRX
WRB

after reflashing you "should" turn ignition to On for at least 2 seconds for the fuel system
to re-pressurize and then start the car.

so how long have you been flashing your car?

check your fuel related fuses and relays.
jaxscuby is offline   Reply With Quote