Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
crunchbaryumyum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 366525
Default Car won't start, cranks but no start.

I drive a 1996 subaru legacy l with about 160k miles on it. I drove it to school perfectly fine one day and then after school it it just would not start. We tried replacing the starter and the battery on the spot. Still wont change. So we uhaul towed it back. I tried spray starting fluid into the air intake and the car started up for like 5 seconds then sputtered out. We towed it home and took the alternator to orielys, they tested it bad but said it still worked. I then replaced the fuel pump as well but still wont start up and stay on. It ONLY turns over when started fluid is applied. I tried switching relays but im not quite sure if it was done right. The engine is not getting fuel because i un did the fuel filter fuel lines and no gas came out during the crank. I also DO NOT hear a primming noise from the new and previous fuel pump. Any ideas?
crunchbaryumyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 299104
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

I had this problem with an old F150. dunno if the subarus have it but it sounds like an ignition coil
mschiavoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
crunchbaryumyum
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschiavoni View Post
I had this problem with an old F150. dunno if the subarus have it but it sounds like an ignition coil
ill look into it it wont hurt to try, a couple days untill my car will just go to the shop.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

good call- like I said, I'm not even sure if the subies have it, they may be a little more advanced than a pickup truck
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
crunchbaryumyum
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbaryumyum View Post
ill look into it it wont hurt to try, a couple days untill my car will just go to the shop.
I think i have the diamond coil pack, weve tried looking at all the ends and making sure its tightened but still no go
Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #6
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

distributor, if applicable?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
06lgtspecb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 364130

did you try blowing through your fuel filter? sounds like its clogged. or possibly bad ground or lack of power to the fuel pump. If its starting when you add starter fluid, it pretty much eliminates anything spark wise, IE. coil pack, plugs, etc. We dont have a distributor.
06lgtspecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

that's what I wasn't sure of. my truck would rank and rub for a few seconds, turned out it was the coil. but if the fuel pump won't even prime sounds like there's no power to it. check the wiring to it, see if it's broken or shorted. if not it may be time to replace it
Old 08-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
crunchbaryumyum
Scooby Newbie

yeah i just dont hear anything coming from the fuel pump, i just replaced it and still no start i unplugged both lines to the fuel filter and tried to start it and no fuel came out, idk i feel confident that its no power to the pump but im not sure how to test or fix it... maybe have firestone diagnose it
Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

have you checked the wiring and fuses?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
kurtis9813
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 308158
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT
Black

Try replacing the crankshaft sensor. 4 moths ago I bought a 1995 legacy L that had the same problem wouldn't start. Turned out just to be a faulty sensor. I think it was like $40 at the auto parts store and they are usually fairly simple to install. The sensor is located under the alternator.
kurtis9813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #12
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

I know! Lets throw parts at hoping for a fix!

Start with the basics.

Disconnect fuel hose from filter inlet, turn key. A small amount of fuel should spray out then stop. If no fuel check for power / ground at the pump. No power/ground, follow the harness up to each junction and recheck until you find the power /ground.

Got fuel? Check for spark. Pull an ignition wire and see if it sparks against metal during cranking. No spark? Check for power and ground to coil (see above)

Have fuel and spark? Check timing.

Have fuel, spark and timing? Now you can make an educated shotgun diagnosis and swap the MAF sensor (there is a diag procedure for it, but it is easy to swap and readily found at a wrecking yard for $15)
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

get a Haynes' manual. they're 20ish and I think they cover this problem
Old 09-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
BB2006LGT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 367150

Test for power at the fuel pump plug, then work your way back from there to the fuse, relay ect...

If it starts with starting fluid, its not the coil.
BB2006LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
As a couple of others have said, the fact that the engine will start and run on the starting fluid means this isn't an ignition problem.

Quote:
I think i have the diamond coil pack, weve tried looking at all the ends and making sure its tightened but still no go
Tried looking at all the ends of what? Making sure what is tightened?

Quote:
yeah i just dont hear anything coming from the fuel pump, i just replaced it and still no start i unplugged both lines to the fuel filter and tried to start it and no fuel came out, idk i feel confident that its no power to the pump but im not sure how to test or fix it... maybe have firestone diagnose it
This isn't the sort of thing I would take to a tire shop.

Quote:
I drove it to school perfectly fine one day and then after school it it just would not start. We tried replacing the starter and the battery on the spot. Still wont change.
Would it turn over and just not start? Or would it not even turn over? If it would turn over, then the starter and battery weren't the problem (as you discovered).

Quote:
We towed it home and took the alternator to orielys, they tested it bad but said it still worked.
Again, the alternator won't cause a car to not start. Seems like you and whoever is helping you need to work on your troubleshooting methodology and general knowledge of how an engine works. And I'm not saying that to be a dick, but to hopefully help you from wasting money in the future by throwing parts that aren't going to help at the car. When it comes to the engine starting and running, the things Hondaslayer listed are where you need to start.

Quote:
I tried switching relays but [I']m not quite sure if it was done right.
What do you mean by this?

Go here - that's the '96 Service Manual. Download the Troubleshooting Section PDF (11.7MB file) and go to page 115. That's the start of the "Diagnosis for Engine Starting Failure" section. The first few parts (the starter motor, ECM, and ignition system) can be skipped (since we already know the engine will turn over, and the ignition system works because the engine tries to run with starting fluid applied), so then you get to the fuel system stuff on page 131. Start from there.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
crunchbaryumyum
Scooby Newbie

The problem was solved it turned out that when i bought a fuel pump, the pump itself WAS ALSO FAULTY. Just my luck right? Firestone diagnosed all the groundings and wires were clear and worked fine. I got the car back and it runs fine now, thanks for all the help! . Also wondering if anyone knows why my doors no longer lock automatically, i press the driver door lock and all the doors lock as well, but now when i press it the doors dont respond?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #17
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

imma go with faulty switch. it may have just given up the ghost. does the lock work when you use the key fob? (just assuming you have one)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
crunchbaryumyum
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
imma go with faulty switch. it may have just given up the ghost. does the lock work when you use the key fob? (just assuming you have one)
No key fob, I usually just had to put the key in the driver side lock and all of them would unlock as soon as I manually unlocked the drivers door, now it only unlocks the drivers door and I must reach across to unlock all my passenger doors. I suppose you're supposed to hear a click under the dash as you unlock the doors but i dont hear anything anymore? I also accidently broke the door lock timer as in seperated the plastic casing from under the dash.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
mschiavoni
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Garnet Red Pearl

Quote:
No key fob, I usually just had to put the key in the driver side lock and all of them would unlock as soon as I manually unlocked the drivers door, now it only unlocks the drivers door and I must reach across to unlock all my passenger doors. I suppose you're supposed to hear a click under the dash as you unlock the doors but i dont hear anything anymore? I also accidently broke the door lock timer as in seperated the plastic casing from under the dash.
I've got a 97 GT, and it only ever unlocked one door when unlocking manually. if you broke the timer, could that have something to do with it?
Old 12-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #20
brobssti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479890
Angry no start after rebulid

hi names Britain i have a 05 sti .....long story short i had a blown engine so i got a new block .pulled out old one put new one in ,new starter new headers new turbo ,ext try to start no go .....i here fuel pump kick on all lights come on ....take it to Subaru of Oakland they run ther test nuting but wants $5,000 to take it out redo everything and 5 more to put it back togerther any help
brobssti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #21
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobssti View Post
hi names Britain i have a 05 sti .....long story short i had a blown engine so i got a new block .pulled out old one put new one in ,new starter new headers new turbo ,ext try to start no go .....i here fuel pump kick on all lights come on ....take it to Subaru of Oakland they run ther test nuting but wants $5,000 to take it out redo everything and 5 more to put it back togerther any help
So, you are FUBAR on an STi but post in a Legacy forum.
Then it appears you're on a SmartPhone, not a computer of some sort.
Your spelling and grammar really sucks (dad with a 22yo and 20yo). Many years on forums.

Does it crank?
If it cranks, thus "cranks no start"?
Who did the block swap/install?

My first comment (based on above and your post), you're WAY over your head, check regional forum and have the car taken there. For that money, a good shop can do an engine pull, swap SB with gaskets, and reinstall. Then THEY have the warranty.

Just saying.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote