Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #26
pur
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335631
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
SWP Protuned/Turboback

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fugin Guy View Post
I can tell you I got 33 mpg for the first time on the way to work. Un-needed aftermarket intake? Not sure what that's supposed to mean but thanks for the helpful input. I've done a ton of research on this topic and the manufacturer claims no need of a tune. However, as I stated, I will be tuning at Mach V as soon as the Cobb is functional for the CVT.

Well I think you know the difference between need and want, at least I hope so.

You wanted the cool noise/look the intake gives you, as it does nothing for your car without a tune. The stock airbox is quite good, so there is no "need" to replace it. Maybe with a tune you will get couple HP more, but not worth the money.

General consensus on the forum is that if you install an aftermarket intake, you should get a tune right after that. I'd read this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477393

If it were me, I wouldn't just take a manufacture's word that it's safe. Especially since the 2015 is so new and the tuning for it is still getting developed.

It's your car and I'm a random dude on the interwebs. Hope it works out...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by pur; 08-13-2014 at 02:11 PM.
pur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #27
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 392193
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

I do know the difference, thanks. I also know the manufacture claims acceptable A/F ratios on the stock tune. That's also why I stated, if you install this product, you're doing this at your own risk! Need I say again, AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don't be the fat person who sues MacDonalds because daily, you ate large sized quarter-pounder meals with a diet Coke and have a heart attack at 45. I actually had a heart attack at 36, but I'm 5'11" and maybe 170. Family history sucks. This also may have skewed my vision of acceptable consequences but I know, I have to pay for my actions. I'm not going to blame you if I blow my car up. I'll be the first person to call myself an idiot. Once, just once.

That being said, here's another short video. Windows up and you can hear the woosh better near the end of the video. Flyby's hopefully in the next couple hours. Then, I'm staying out of boost as much as possible, for a while or until tuned.

Enjoy and be safe! So far, I'm lovin' it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWstDP3i24w
The Fugin Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #28
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer

Member#: 207954

OP: Great review! Thanks for posting your feedback, images, and video. We are very pleased to see that these units are being installed already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXinSC42 View Post
I know Mishimoto claims that with this CAI you will not need a tune, but like you, i will definitely want to get a tune as well ASAP after install.. I thought about getting the ECUTek from Visconti but I'm kinda hoping Cobb will get the AP ready for CVT models soon, so i'm holding out..... BTW, what exhaust is that? Car looks great!
Correct! We have confirmed that this intake will function perfectly on the stock tune with 93 octane fuel. We saw great power gains with safe AFR's on this fuel type. 91 octane users will need a tune. We are finalizing our tunes and should have them available for EcuTek users very soon.

Quote:
I can tell you I got 33 mpg for the first time on the way to work. Un-needed aftermarket intake? Not sure what that's supposed to mean but thanks for the helpful input. I've done a ton of research on this topic and the manufacturer claims no need of a tune. However, as I stated, I will be tuning at Mach V as soon as the Cobb is functional for the CVT.
Great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1977 View Post
What if install a CAI without a tune? I bet dealers will still use it as an excuse to not honor the warranty even if CAI had nothing to do with the engine problem.
It is possible that a dealership will question your intake installation if a warranty concern were to arise. This will vary from one dealership to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pur View Post
Well I think you know the difference between need and want, at least I hope so.

You wanted the cool noise/look the intake gives you, as it does nothing for your car without a tune. The stock airbox is quite good, so there is no "need" to replace it. Maybe with a tune you will get couple HP more, but not worth the money.

General consensus on the forum is that if you install an aftermarket intake, you should get a tune right after that. I'd read this:

If it were me, I wouldn't just take a manufacture's word that it's safe. Especially since the 2015 is so new and the tuning for it is still getting developed.

We have performed extensive testing to verify that this intake provides improved power in a safe manner. During testing, we monitored vital sensor readings, including AFR's and Knock, to be sure we were developing a safe and effective product. This intake kit provides both power and improved engine noise.

Check out more details regarding our testing results in the thread below.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2648119

Feel free to shoot us a PM with any specific questions!

Thanks again OP!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #29
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pur View Post

Also, if you want all the information in the world on just about everything Subaru, read the Manifesto below and spend as much time talking and soaking up the knowledge of your local owners.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
Old 08-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #30
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Correct! We have confirmed that this intake will function perfectly on the stock tune with 93 octane fuel. We saw great power gains with safe AFR's on this fuel type. 91 octane users will need a tune. We are finalizing our tunes and should have them available for EcuTek users very soon.

Thanks again OP!
This might be dumb, but what about 92 octane? Obviously, the higher the octane level, the lower your chances are for knock.

Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Uploading flyby now. Done on a back road, safely and below the posted speed limit. Yeah, I think it's faster or I'm disillusion or very possibly, D, all the above! You be the judge...

Watch on surround sound with sub-woofer for full enjoyment.

Last edited by The Fugin Guy; 08-13-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added video link
Old 08-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #32
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank

Member#: 140114
Vehicle:
2014 Porsche
GT3 (Currently on Fire)

Quote:
What if install a CAI without a tune? I bet dealers will still use it as an excuse to not honor the warranty even if CAI had nothing to do with the engine problem.
Well if it's a 2008+ then you risk blowing up. I don't understand why people try and "what if" when it comes to crap, do you have a spare motor or the cash for one to "try" and play what if?
HinshawWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #33
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

To each their own I guess. Just be smart and try to be easy on the car if you do this install prior to a tune.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #34
pur
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335631
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
SWP Protuned/Turboback

Found the results but they are not labeled too well. There really needs to be more information on the conditions each dyno was performed with, otherwise they are not very useful. One tests indicate the vehicle was driven "some" the others do not even say this. These tests should not be compared/used unless they are run under identical conditions and prep, with the ONLY thing being different is the part/exhaust/gas etc. Temp? Was any of the gas 10% ethanol? How much driving behind each car/ecu learning happened? I could go on. There are just too many variables being changed or unknown, making the results worthless imo. I'll give you that it does help performance.

Can Mishimoto explain the how this works for 2015 models and not others?

Did I read correct that if you have the intake + custom exhaust a tune is needed due to lean AFRs on 91 octane gas?

Many states/areas do not have 93 octane gas... 92/91 is also very common.

Last edited by pur; 08-14-2014 at 05:22 PM.
pur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #35
WRXinSC42
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 397862
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
ISM

Hey man, thanks again for the write up, got my intake in the mail today, installed it, referenced your pictures a couple times. I took out a hell of a lot more clips and screws bolts etc than you did haha, I'm not sure how you did it taking off so few. Took a little over 2 hours but it's in there.. Took a short ride, didn't get over 4k rpms on the trip, sounds great though. Could have been placebo effect but the car didn't seem to have the common "jittery" throttle issue.. Idk though, Probably only drove 15 miles and I was pretty gentle.. Did you notice anything similar?
WRXinSC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #36
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Throttle definitely feels more responsive, no doubt. Sorry, maybe I just got lucky with the 5 clips I pulled. I spent a fair amount of time looking from the top when I was removing the stock intake before I went under.

I know it wasn't the best write up in the world but I'm glad it helped some. I'm guessing this wasn't your first time under a car either? Like I said, I love this thing so far! About 100 miles on the odometer since installed.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #37
Leo1977
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 391682

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXinSC42 View Post
Hey man, thanks again for the write up, got my intake in the mail today, installed it, referenced your pictures a couple times. I took out a hell of a lot more clips and screws bolts etc than you did haha, I'm not sure how you did it taking off so few. Took a little over 2 hours but it's in there.. Took a short ride, didn't get over 4k rpms on the trip, sounds great though. Could have been placebo effect but the car didn't seem to have the common "jittery" throttle issue.. Idk though, Probably only drove 15 miles and I was pretty gentle.. Did you notice anything similar?
Why gentle driving?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using NASIOC mobile app
Leo1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #38
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Quote:
Why gentle driving?

I think we're trying to give the ECU a chance to learn and adjust slowly under lighter loads. I also plan on a tune in the next few months. Plus, it's not smart, at least in my experience, to hammer on any car with a new major engine component installed, right from the start.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #39
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

With respect to the OP's installation as an example, how is this a CAI when there is no segregation of the filter from the engine compartment?

Without segregation, the filter will be pulling hot under-the-hood air into the intake.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #40
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Well stated! Maybe they should change the name to "performance intake".

I wish I had numbers to prove it but I can't see how an open filter, with the scoop feeding it, wouldn't allow for more, cooler air, into the intake. If that makes sense. I'm traveling and I hate typing on this stupid tablet.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #41
WRXinSC42
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 397862
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
ISM

Well its not pretty or shiny or anything, but here is mine installed w/box... 2nd drive this morning, on the way to work, I swear this significantly helps the common jittery issue that '15 WRX owners experience........ Cannot comment on performance... Sounds great though

WRXinSC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #42
Leo1977
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I think we're trying to give the ECU a chance to learn and adjust slowly under lighter loads. I also plan on a tune in the next few months. Plus, it's not smart, at least in my experience, to hammer on any car with a new major engine component installed, right from the start.
How long of an adjustment period would you suggest? Asking since I am new to this and getting my intake on Monday. Thanks

Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #43
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Quote:
How long of an adjustment period would you suggest? Asking since I am new to this and getting my intake on Monday. Thanks
I'm not the manufacturer but I would say, the longer you can ease into it, the better. I'm doing my best to wait 500 miles but I drive at least 250 miles a week. Again, I'm going to stay out of boost, as much as possible prior to a tune.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #44
Leo1977
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I'm not the manufacturer but I would say, the longer you can ease into it, the better. I'm doing my best to wait 500 miles but I drive at least 250 miles a week. Again, I'm going to stay out of boost, as much as possible prior to a tune.
Are you going for a professional tune or getting your own ecutek device with mishimoto CAI specific roms? I am thinking of the second route. BTW I drive 160 miles per day

Last edited by Leo1977; 08-15-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #45
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Quote:
Are you going for a professional tune or getting your own ecutek device with mishimoto CAI specific roms? I am thinking of the second route. BTW I drive 160 miles per day
Waiting for a Dyno and the Cobb. Good, you'll break it in soon! Best of luck!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #46
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

Duplicate.

Last edited by The Fugin Guy; 08-15-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #47
Mishimoto
NASIOC Manufacturer

Member#: 207954

The 2015 WRX Intake installation video is done!

Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:56 AM   #48
darknight007
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 399671

Have any I you guys with the 2015 WRX cvt had any issues with you ECU? I've been reading in a lot of places that the ECU is having problems and it makes you CEL come on? Any information would be great... I'm looking at getting one in the next couple of days, but now I'm hesitant!

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
darknight007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #49
The Fugin Guy
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CVT
Lightning Red

800 + miles and no issues. I've generally been easy on the throttle but I'm also trying to introduce boost regularly. I would plan on a tune if you get one to avoid any issues. I haven't had the time.