Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Imprezd02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 161041
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
02 bugeye
PSM

Default 02 wrx power/no start

I have an 02 wrx with turbo back exhaust as the only mod. Tuesday the car fired up just fine. Wednesday morning i tried to start it and lost all power after turning the key. Battery tested good, it is fairly new. After diagnosing a bad positive cable to the fuse box, I have power again. Now, when i try to start the car all i hear is one click when i turn the key over. Has power, no crank, only a click. I pulled the intercooler and measured roughly 12.5v to the starter. I then replaced the starter with a reman from advanced. Installed, and have the same exact problem. Still getting battery power to the starter but it just clicks when i try to start it. I also tried beating on the reman starter, but still get nothing but a click when i turn the key.

Before I condemn the reman starter i just want to know if there might be anything else i am missing. I assume that since i am getting enough voltage at the starter, that all relative relays/fuses and the ignition switch should be working properly. Thanks for any help/advice.

Side note: For about 2 years there have been very random occasions when i go to start the car and had the same issue. Usually after 2-3 cranks it would start right up. It has progressively gotten worse, lately happening around 2-3 times per week. The car came with an AutoMate alarm, but i have removed it recently thinking that that could be the cause. Thanks again.
Imprezd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
GTR Fever
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378021

checked all your grounds?? can check the "static" wire on the starter as well to make sure it's good and connected
GTR Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Imprezd02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 161041
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
02 bugeye
PSM

The ground and positive cable both had .5-6 k ohms of resistance. Swapped them both out anyway and got her starting now. Both cables looked fine, and had barely any resistance in them. Anyway, lesson learned. Thanks for the advice.
Imprezd02 is offline   Reply With Quote