Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
saloonracer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 62687
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Its a Suby
Yeah..its stock :)

Default Theoretical intake idea

OK, So ive been scratching around for intakes a whole lot. Ive seen some that lose torque or some sort of power in a part of the rpm range.

So heres how my thinking went.
First thing I did with the stock system is to remove all the added piping from the Airbox - back. The airbox seems to help with mid and lower rpm power but loses some power in the top end range.

Then I thought about the KN filter replacement. But the more I look at it I wondered how the airflow would be without a filter stuck infront of the TB. So air flows nice into the box then gets swirled around because it has no unrestricted place to travel cept the filter which blocks off a big part of the airbox. (I know there is always air there but my concern is the flow characteristics.)

I have recently found the stage 2 mod from larry ganz. where he installs a complete 3" intake from the fender into the airbox. Exactly what I was thinking but my only difference would be that I want to get rid of the filter in the Box and stick a Conical filter on the other end of that intake pipe in the fender, much like Injen or Aem I think.
That way the air travels straight through the filter, through the 3" intake, into the Box where it fills the entire box with "fresh air" and nothing blocks it from entering the TB.

I would have to seal the Box because there is not filter in it but thats no problem as all id have to do is cut out the paper pleats in the stock paper filter and use the rubber surround to seal it off.
I dont even know if this would make a difference at all but I think it would increase air volume and velocity into the intake manifold. Also the box would now have more "free" air to increase throttle response and you retain the low end torque.
I thought this mod would be better than stock so why not give it a try, but I would appreciate some thoughts on this.

cheers
saloonracer is offline   Reply With Quote