Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
anon_az
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160782
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi

Default Non-STI 2.5 swap vs. 2.0 swap?

I'm looking to swap down the road and I want to formulate a game plan sooner rather than later. It's best to think everything through especially since this will continue to be my daily driver. I'm in love with the idea of staying with a bigger displacement motor rather than go for the 2.0. I love the off the line torque and the way it can dawdle around town without much effort. I'm not looking to go with a hardcore 450+HP setup, so I'm not necessarily gunning for an STI swap since they're not at all cheap. Are there any different considerations when looking at the 2.5 turbo motors from the FXT/Baja GT/Legacy GT? Would finding a wrecked FXT bode better since it's essentially an Impreza underneath or is just about everything the same between the three cars?

I know the motor will have no trouble fitting, but I want to be sure I have my subframe, accessories and front suspension details all down pat. So what do you think, am I making this a bigger headache by not just finding a wrecked and plentiful 02-05 WRX? I'm pretty hellbent on a 2.5, but don't want to dish out STI cake.

EDIT - sorry, I think I should have posted this under Subaru Conversions. If a mod reads this, could you please move it to the appropriate section? My apologies.
anon_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Broken_Impreza_Guy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 238684
Vehicle:
02 Impreza
Blue

Food for thought: Legacy GT short block part number is the same as STI short block part number.
Broken_Impreza_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 136396
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2020 STI, 2022 WRX

you can build a very stout motor thats 2.5l of fury without going sti, like broken_impreza_guy said the legacy GT block might be a good start.

Will
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
anon_az
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160782
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi

And I think finding a wrecked LGT shouldn't prove to be impossible. I like that idea. I've also heard the front subframe from one is much better for completing a GC swap.

Is going from DBC to DBW a big deal on a GC? Or will the wiring harness merge + new ECU take care of all of that? Again, weighing out the differences between an 04+ 2.5 and an earlier EJ20 swap.
anon_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
GLD247
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 207789
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX EJ257 Swap
WRB

going full STi Ej257 with AVCS= need DBW and a FULL HARNESS from headlight to taillight.

Full Ej257 with WRX intake/ecu etc= less work, dont need dbw and idk how much of the sti harness you need.

2.5L shortblock with WRX heads/intake= easiest and starting to be the most common. any i see FS has a 2.5 now over a rebuilt 2.0.

i went with the whole shebang with a full EJ257 with AVCS. lots of work, but was so worth it.

note this was all based on my research for a 03 WRX.

(btw i have my old WRX **** for sale shoot me a pm if you need a block/wiring harness/ecu etc)
GLD247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
badbug
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 241715

Hi All,

I am new here and would like to know where can i get a complete wire loom for a natural aspirated 2.5 suby motor.
badbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
crash#2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 112128
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
sedona red pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Impreza_Guy View Post
Food for thought: Legacy GT short block part number is the same as STI short block part number.
more food for thought. a wrx service department manager told me the 255 and 257 blocks are considered interchangable by soa.
crash#2 is offline   Reply With Quote