Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #1
runishi01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 527992
Default Newbie here - Lowering Spring Issue

Hello everyone, ill go straight to the point. I bought a set of lowering springs (FactionFab) and I installed them myself following the video guide they have. According to subiespeed with the set of tires that I have which are 265/35 R18 it wouldn't rub, but it does more so on the rear driver side.

I thought that I installed them incorrectly and I took everything apart once again to find them perfectly fine. However, I did notice that the rear driver side is lower than the rear passenger side by 1/4 inch.

I'm aware that I'll probably have to rolled or bend my fenders a little bit, but why is it that on side on the rear is lowered that the other? Also, the floor is even where I'm measuring from. Any help will be kindly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by runishi01; 05-19-2022 at 12:05 PM.
runishi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2022, 04:28 PM   #2
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 12029
Chapter/Region: MAIC

You did not mention the wheel offset, so there's some missing information about your tire to fender clearance, but to the question about lowering and ride height -- cars are not always perfectly straight themselves, and springs can also vary between individual springs. Assuming it's all assembled correctly, that difference in ride height is probably one or both of those variances. You could shim up the lower one with a Saggy Butt Spacer if you wanted.

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:04 AM   #3
Brentpierce
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507011

Welcome! As mentioned, not all cars are perfectly straight. 1/4 inch is almost unnoticeable.
Brentpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

You could verify the springs by corner weighing the car. You'd disconnect the sway bars, then corner weigh. You're looking for right to left differences.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
runishi01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
You did not mention the wheel offset, so there's some missing information about your tire to fender clearance, but to the question about lowering and ride height -- cars are not always perfectly straight themselves, and springs can also vary between individual springs. Assuming it's all assembled correctly, that difference in ride height is probably one or both of those variances. You could shim up the lower one with a Saggy Butt Spacer if you wanted.

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Thanks for the reply, the offset of the wheels are +38, so wheels spec 18 x 9.5 +38.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #6
runishi01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentpierce View Post
Welcome! As mentioned, not all cars are perfectly straight. 1/4 inch is almost unnoticeable.
Thank you for the reply. Yes a 1/4 is not a lot but The problem is that the side which is lower is rubbing way more that the passenger side and the tires are getting slashed.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:16 PM   #7
runishi01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
You could verify the springs by corner weighing the car. You'd disconnect the sway bars, then corner weigh. You're looking for right to left differences.
Thank you for the reply, would rolling the fenders take care of the rubbing/scrubbing?
Old 05-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru

Member#: 268310
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runishi01 View Post
Thank you for the reply, would rolling the fenders take care of the rubbing/scrubbing?
Most likely, yes. I had to roll my rear fenders.

Of course, we have no idea what you're driving, so we can't say for sure.

FYI, I drive a 2011 STI with 265/35/18 Michelin PS4S tires on 18x9.5" +40 offset.

Last edited by Gallo2011; 05-23-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #9
runishi01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post
Most likely, yes. I had to roll my rear fenders.

Of course, we have no idea what you're driving, so we can't say for sure.

FYI, I drive a 2011 STI with 265/35/18 Michelin PS4S tires on 18x9.5" +40 offset.
I drive a 2021 Sti tires Michelin 265/35 18 with wheels 18x9.5 +38 offset

Was one of your rear side lower than the other?