Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
ProjectMonkey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 340145
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default Engine Flush

Hey guys I just recently bought a 2002 WRX with 80,000. I am about to perform its first oil change and I want it to be synthetic oil. The lady that owned the car before me used Regular Oil. Is there any engine flush chemical I need to add before I switch over to synthetic????

On another note does the Subaru oil filter really make a difference then a Mobil 1 or Purilator One? I read the previous thread just wanted some feedback.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank

Member#: 140114
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2020 Subaru
Outback

Drain oil, add whatever oil you want. Boom you're done.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
art@grimmspeed
Former Vendor

Member#: 301037
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
That is the easiest way to do it and most common but, if you are intent on an engine flush your local Subaru dealer carries Subaru engine flush
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
corvallisbattery
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 333030
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'05 WRX
PSM

I personally do not condone flushes. If your super ocd.. this is what I did when I switch oil brands. Wram up engine, drain oil and remove filter, refill with new oil type and new filter... let her warm up, then change it again. But you'd be fine with just a drain and fill...
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
HinshawWRX
Medium Frank

Member#: 140114
Vehicle:
2020 Subaru
Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvallisbattery View Post
I personally do not condone flushes. If your super ocd.. this is what I did when I switch oil brands. Wram up engine, drain oil and remove filter, refill with new oil type and new filter... let her warm up, then change it again. But you'd be fine with just a drain and fill...
This is overkill and a great way to waste about 100 bucks. And really, when you switch BRANDS you do it too?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
nhat
Scooby Guru

Member#: 140163
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinshawWRX View Post
This.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
cmiovino
Scooby Guru

Member#: 134005
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Premium
PSM

As everyone's said.. drain and fill Synthetics are made to be mixed to some degree with conventional oil. Meaning, if there is some left in the engine and you add synthetic, it's ok.

As far as the filter... I've researched the CRAP out of filters. I've dissected filters myself too. I came to the conclusion that you'll want to keep the OEM bypass spec of 23 PSI... so that's going to limit you to OEM, WIX and NAPA Gold. WIX and NAPA Gold are the same exact filter.. just rebranded. Part number is 7712 for the NAPA. I think it's 57712 for the WIX.

The filtering area appears to be smaller, but this one has metal encaps. The OEM blue one does not have metal endcaps and has a leaf spring instead of a coil spring.

As Uncle Scotty will say, you can run just about any filter and it will be just fine.. even those Supertech ones from Wally World. I'll stick with the NAPA Gold for now though.

I used to run Purolators without a major problem... but they leaked... all of them. Synthetic ones, the PureOnes, WRXs, 2.5i's, Foresters... all of them. They also only have a bypass spec of 18PSI max... which means the bypass valve opens before it really should, leaving unfiltered oil into the engine. Not a huge concern, but I'll take my oil filtered, please.

Or you can run a $300 oil bypass setup thingy... not really worth it IMO.

WIX/NAPA FTW.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

1. Wrong forum, we have a maintenance forum.
2. You did not read the sticky threads at the top of the forum PRIOR TO posting....hint a post titled Oil FAQ is what you want.
3. Switch oils does not magically fix ills.
Closed Thread