Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
shahsmerdis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374109
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default rotor hot spots after 19k miles 2013 impreza

Hi everyone,
Please see attached picture. http://imgur.com/a/eI1wD

background 2013 impreza non turbo 19k miles. first set of pads.

First I noticed I have a line on my rotor, so i thought my brakes were low, but when I measured (without taking off the wheel) I noticed i still have ~5mm left . New oem pads when i looked up are 9.7mm. Brakes don't squeal, So i can't say where this line came from but anyway I am more concerned with the color of the rotors.

They have 19k (mostly city) on them ( I noticed these marks earlier,~4-5k ago) Based on google, I guess they are hot spots from braking too hard. I live in nyc and I always have to brake randomly that is out of my control. not to mention I need to cross the GWB every day so that doesn't help.

My buddy says they are shot, but I but I notice similar marks on my 14 forester. So I am wondering, are we both just driving too fast, are others seeing similar type marks, or are these rotors under spec?

I do plan to change the rear out soon, since I have 5mm left, I generally like to go oem, but looking how crappy these rotors perform after 19k miles I wouldn't mind upgrading with performance rotors.

any suggestions? I seem options for the rear are really limited. I guess there is not much you can do with a single layer solid rotor. with both pads pushing down on the same piece of metal maybe its just too hot for it. I wish they were like the front (dual layer/vented) so they don't build up so much heat.

I am going to get an oil change at the dealer this week so they can give me their opinion. I'll get a list of recommended work and just do it myself as well.

edit: No shimmying/warped rotor, if people say this is a subaru thing, then ill just replace the pads, but honestly since ill probably do the work myself i don't mind coughing up for rotors since all said and done will be less than 200.

Thanks guys!
shahsmerdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

your buddy is an idiot.

your rotors look fine.

you are overreacting to nothing.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
celder15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446944
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Aspen White

I wouldn't worry about it, typical hot spots are about the size of a dime, to a nickle, and usually scattered throughout a rotor, not a solid mark all around. 5 mil on a rear brake is quite a bit still, I wouldn't worry about the brakes for a whole yet.
celder15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
your buddy is an idiot.

your rotors look fine.

you are overreacting to nothing.
Beat me to it

As for pad depth, once you get down to ~ 4mm it is time to consider getting new pads.
If you think you have 5mm thickness when you check the pad thickness without ever removing the wheel, you probably have less

Based on your description of your driving, you don't need performance rotors or performance pads
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
shahsmerdis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374109
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Beat me to it

As for pad depth, once you get down to ~ 4mm it is time to consider getting new pads.
If you think you have 5mm thickness when you check the pad thickness without ever removing the wheel, you probably have less

Based on your description of your driving, you don't need performance rotors or performance pads
Not sure if pictures do it justice, but okay.

My worse worse case estimate is 4mm, but I will know tomorrow at subaru. They have an oil special, so its about the same price if i do it myself. (not to mention they drop me off work) I might just take the wheels off relube, and clean off any rust build up this summer if the pads are okay still okay for another winter season. If its boarder line, I might just it a bit earlier because I don't want to pay someone do it over the winter. (certainly not doing it in freezing temps)

Shall I resurface when i change out the pads? I was thinking of getting another set of rotors, put new rotors in, resurface the old ones, spray fluid film on them and keep them on a shell until new set of pads wear out. and keep alternating until they are out of spec Or is that just silly?

thanks.
shahsmerdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Your being silly

Unless the rotors are near, at or below spec thickness, just leave them be.
I believe the minimum rotor thickness for the front rotors is 22mm
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote