Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-19-2001, 03:26 PM   #1
555wagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2809
Vehicle:
'00 Moto Guzzi
'91 Talon Rally Car #373

Post Strange noise from clutch pedal

My car is a 2000 2.2L OBS w/ 5 speed. Above 3500 rpm there is a faint constant clicking noise that is coming from the clutch pedal. It goes away if I depress the clutch slightly (1/2" or so). It seems to do this in every gear. This clutch is cable operated so my guess is something is iffy in the trans and is using the cable as a microphone.

Any ideas on what is happening? Thanks
555wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2001, 08:23 PM   #2
555wagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'00 Moto Guzzi
'91 Talon Rally Car #373

Anybody? Does this sound major? The problem has been going on for a few weeks with no change in the noise.

There is a rally cross this Saturday and I don't want to be on a flatbed for the ride home. Thanks
Old 02-20-2001, 04:55 AM   #3
LUME
Banned

Member#: 2641
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
Dirt and Bird Poop

my clutch pedal sort of creaks at the end of its travel..... not sure if this really helps you... actually I'm positive it doesn't..... sorry.
LUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 09:44 AM   #4
Retsyn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1910
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Could be worse. My wife's Forester's clutch makes a repetitive squeak unless you put a little pressure on the pedal. REALLY irritating... Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak ...
Retsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 10:36 AM   #5
555wagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'00 Moto Guzzi
'91 Talon Rally Car #373

I don't have the pleasure of the repetitive squeak. Rather, it sounds like a freewheeling bicycle from a distance. I'm thinking throw out bearing. Any opinions?
Old 02-20-2001, 10:55 AM   #6
gnurider
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5rs
aspen white

Unhappy

i hear the same thing on my MY2000 RS, i step on the clucth and i hear a faint squeak, i've never owned a manual tran before, so i didn't know if it was normal or not, but its just a faint squeak, is it something to worry about

jt

gnurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:12 AM   #7
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

I had a squeak in my 97 OB similar to the way Retsyn described his wife's Forester. First diagnosed as clutch pedal squeak, then cable squeak, then bad throwout bearing. Clutch assembly replaced (by order of SoA) and it still squeaked. Tranny opened up again and clutch fork replaced.

If it's the TO bearing or clutch fork, you should be able to hear it from then engine bay and/or underneath the car.
Seems like yours is a click instead of a squeak.
Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:45 AM   #8
555wagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'00 Moto Guzzi
'91 Talon Rally Car #373

It's definately a high speed faint click above 3500 rpm, not a squeak. It seems rpm dependant but is easily drowned out by engine noise. I'm going to try and get it over to the dealer and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks for the posts