Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
thoughto
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 29145
Vehicle:
1998 Version 4 STI
White, gold wheels

Unhappy EJ20K Head gasket probably gone

Looks like one of my head gaskets has gone. Would love to hear it is something cheaper, but not expecting it.

Checked the diagnostics on my JDM Version 4 STI yesterday morning, to make sure nothing was malfunctioning. [Was about to fit K&N intake, and wanted to know everything was working beforehand.] No error codes at all.

Symptoms:
Went for short drive, 8-10 miles.
Arrived home, turned off engine, opened bonnet to look at the intake install. Heard a gurgling sound from the coolant header tank. Removed lid of overflow tank, noticed bubbling gas coming through (the first time I've seen this).

Let car cool a bit. Removed lid of header tank, noticed was no longer full. Added water to fill up.
Restarted car. At idle the level of the header tank quickly dropped to the level it was at before refilling, and after a while bubbling resumed in the overflow tank. The car is decatted (in case it matters). I checked the exhaust gas, it became white, and seemed to have water vapour in it (condensation in pipe).

Have I lost a head gasket? Is there any way of fixing this economically, or is it an engine out only job? I checked the thread about using gasket fixer of some sort in the coolant. Does not seem to be a good idea in the long term
I pushed the car back a few feet this morning, and noticed a couple of dark marks under the car on the passenger side. In the JDM (RHD) car, this is the side with the battery and screen wash reservoir. I know everyone says you have to do both at once anyway.

If I have to pay someone to fix the head gaskets, is it worth me trying to remove the engine myself and bring it to a workshop? In other words, is it harder to get the engine out and then put it back after than it is to change the gaskets, or if I can successfully get the engine out is it a straightforward job to change the gaskets?

I have plenty of time but not much money, as I am unemployed. I don't have an engine hoist, but I might be able to get one. No engine stand either.

Sorry for long post, thanks for any help. Tom
thoughto is offline   Reply With Quote