Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid West Subaru Owners Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
MisterO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324734
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default Towing questions

I was wondering if anyone knows the towing laws? I've tried searching but still do not have an answer to my question. Are you legally allowed to tow with a vehicle that is not rated to tow, or tow more than the vehicle that is rated for?

I currently have a '13 WRX hatch and I wanted to tow a couple of dirt bikes. Altogether it would come in under 1000 lbs which I know the car can handle. It's rated for 1000 lbs without trailer brakes and 2000 lbs with trailer brakes, but that's outside of US. After some research I found out that it has to do with the towing methods that are encouraged in US and outside of US which is why same cars outside of US are rated for higher towing capacity. My concern is with the legality of it and whether I'd get fined for doing so without a vehicle that's rated for it here.

Thank you
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
atkron95
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 415179
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterO View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows the towing laws? I've tried searching but still do not have an answer to my question. Are you legally allowed to tow with a vehicle that is not rated to tow, or tow more than the vehicle that is rated for?

I currently have a '13 WRX hatch and I wanted to tow a couple of dirt bikes. Altogether it would come in under 1000 lbs which I know the car can handle. It's rated for 1000 lbs without trailer brakes and 2000 lbs with trailer brakes, but that's outside of US. After some research I found out that it has to do with the towing methods that are encouraged in US and outside of US which is why same cars outside of US are rated for higher towing capacity. My concern is with the legality of it and whether I'd get fined for doing so without a vehicle that's rated for it here.

Thank you
amazing I have just about the same issue. I need to occasionally tow a small aircraft in a trailer with my 2013 WRX hatch too. Matter of fact the salesperson told me I could and was't an issue but later after I read the manual and confronted him he denied everything. We had a whole conversation and showed pictures too. . there is no law preventing towing beyond the cars stated capacity that I am aware of other that Darwin's law. Just make sure the load is secured properly; make sure the chains are crossed; all tires inflated properly; start slowly and brake early. the normal towing rules.
atkron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
hoffmanEstates
Scooby Guru

Member#: 122043
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
n/a n/a
n/a

You are fine its a classs 1 dont over weight your trailer or tounge. I hauled a snapon box,tools and my belongings from central WI to gary,IN. Took it easy, my struts blew eventually due to no helper springs.
hoffmanEstates is offline   Reply With Quote