Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
castle1977
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332244
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
black

Default best way to go with spending 4k for a swap?

ill start off by saying i don't know a tons about these cars. i do know cars in general, and i have read a lot about the 2.0 engine. i have always wanted one, and i finally bought one about 2 months ago. i knew i would eventually need to rebuild the engine, although i was hoping to make it till the summer when i could do it myself. fate had other plans lol.

about 2 weeks ago my 2003 wrx burned a valve. although its still limping along, its time to figure out what to do with engine and my budget of around 4000$. the point of this thread is to look for feedback from people that have gone this route, or information i may have overlooked in my reading in the past few weeks. my goals are 250hp at the wheels and a better bottom end than stock, while remaining very reliable. i want to get 50k minimum. miles out of the new engine. after spending the past few weeks reading tons on here i have narrowed it down to two choices.

1. rebuild the stock 2.0 and go with the tdo4 19t turbo, bigger injectors and fp. the main thing i am worried about here is spinning a bearing and cracks in the heads. my engine right now has 185,000, and i have read that a decent amount of the heads on these cars develop spider cracks and there isn't really a good way to fix them.

2. go with a used ej255 and have it rebuilt stock. im thinking a vf34 turbo. going this route seems like the slightly better choice as its closer to stock and will most likely be more reliable and get slightly better mpg. i get the bottom end of the 2.5 block and don't need to do any real mods to run the turbo. i couldn't really find all that much info on doing this swap though and would like some feedback if someone has done it.

if there is a swap that i have missed i should be looking at, or something else i missed somewhere, please let me know.
castle1977 is offline   Reply With Quote