Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-25-2024, 06:55 PM   #1
nwcali6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 536803
Default 2.5 NA new to me Baja issues

p1494 EGR solonoid signal 2 voltage low
p0030 HO2S heater control circuit
p1496 EGR Signal 3 soloniod voltage low

I bought a 2.5 5 speed Baja that had blow head gaskets in Oregon, I live in California (just shy of Oregon).
I replace the head gaskets, crank it up, got the above codes.

I had bought a wrecked Forester, auto, 2004, 2.5, just in case I needed the motor/parts.

I was unable to find a EGR valve on the motor I pulled/fixed/put back in. No pipe, no valve. I did have 1 plug with nothing hooked up (Subarus are new to me, and I found the plug first as I also changed the O2 sensor out (new name brand, just the first one).

So, I can 100% say this motor has no EGR. I looked at the 2004 and know the plug would be the one that would go to a EGR system. (so the BAJA seems to have the wires for a EGR system)

I pull the ECU numbers and this is them:22611 AH05C JA18000R2F 3108

From what I can tell, this is a 2003 Baja ECU.

so, my thinking is someone either replaced the ECU with a EGR one and left the non EGR motor in (and didn't care about the CEL) or replaced the motor with a non EGR motor (more likely).

My question is does Subaru use different ecu's for EGR versus non EGR/auto versus non auto, and if so, is mine EGR or Non EGR?

Or am I missing something (like they moved the EGR on my motor due to it being a BAJA (seems impossible from what I read).

If I indeed have a ECU that is EGR I have the intake off the Forester (as well as the motor) and that motor looks good (pulled the heads to have a looksee). But I might consider getting a non EGR ecu if available, what part number would I be looking for? I suspect a Impreza 5 speed 2003 non EGR one?

I hope I asked all of this clear enough, and thanks.

Hope I posted in the right spot as well.
nwcali6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2024, 01:14 PM   #2
nwcali6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 536803

Subara dealer is telling me non EGR motors are JDM motors...

So, only smog legal option is to add EGR to the motors...

Just adding this for others who may follow
nwcali6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:28 AM   #3
Robert1
*** Banned ***

Member#: 534866
Default Add Free YouTube

Hey,
I am new user this site if you need add free YouTube then cleck here https://youtubvanced.org/
Robert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #4
NickVu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
yellow

I don't know much on baja's, but for imprezas of the era 2002-2005, the 5mt ecu's had no EGR and the autos had EGR. If you're sure your car was originally a manual, the ecu should not have EGR.
NickVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:43 PM   #5
conceptstalk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 537079

hello guys! When it came to Imprezas from 2002 to 2005, the 5MT ecus didn't have EGR but the autos did. I'm not too knowledgeable about bajas, though. The ecu shouldn't contain EGR if you know for a fact that your vehicle was originally a manual transmission.
gorilla tag
conceptstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:40 AM   #6
Jawajunk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 537077

I would suggest call dealer parts department with your VIN number. Have them look up EGR valve. With their VIN filter they should know if EGR is applicable to your vehicle.
Jawajunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:37 AM   #7
MikeC5LGT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 536616

I can tell you that 49 state Legacy/Outback got EGR in 2003. The Baja is based on Legacy chassis, but I don't know if it followed same path as far as EGR. If it's a CA Baja, then it most likely was equipped with EGR originally. If you have the wiring in the Baja, you will need an intake manifold from an EGR motor, the tube going from cylinder head to EGR valve and the head either has the threaded port for tube connection or you can drill out and thread the spot where it would go (you'll see it on the head). By the way, the heads can be swapped left to right, but you'll need to move the cam sensor bracket if you do.
MikeC5LGT is offline   Reply With Quote