Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Member#: 88514
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Question 2012 Impreza Premium Fog Lights

Hello all!

I am posting to see if anyone has a DIY solution for fog lamps on a 2012 Impreza Premium.

In lieu of buying $300+ OEM Fog lights, I'd like to see some other options for Fog lamps. My hope was to use the existing fog lamp covers and cut out the round hole and insert a couple 3rd Party fog lamps. Here's the stock cover:

Any advice on the best approach to this or existing solutions? I did some searching on this forum and haven't found a solution.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Darkhorse85
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 303734
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
DGM

I've been eyeing these for quite some time now:
http://trailtech.net/lights.html

They have many different styles and beam patterns available. Internal ballast, waterproof, etc. If it can survive the vibration and elements seen by motorcycles, i reckon it'd be fine for a car.
You can even get any color filter to cover the glass.

IMO it's a good bang for your buck, but you havent really mentioned how much light you want. Those trailtechs would be way brighter than the oem option, but may be overkill for your needs (not that cheap either).

what's the diameter of that placeholder piece?

Last edited by Darkhorse85; 11-19-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Darkhorse85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Diameter is 3.25"

My needs are either driving lights or fog lights...can't really decide, its foggy in the winter mornings in West Sac, CA but that's about it.

I checked and the wiring is already set, just need the switch and the lights. Interestingly enough, I found this kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190735476373...=p5197.c0.m619

I emailed to see what is needed for application, but I'm guessing they won't know/care. I might pull the cover off this weekend and see if there are any mounting holes/brackets built into the stock covers.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

To add further complication, I found this:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/661...FogLampKit.pdf

So it looks as though I wouldn't even need the black bezels that come with the OEM kit...so why do they sell them this way?! Grrrr
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

So I found exactly what I needed.

My 2012 Subaru Impreza Premium didn't come with fog lights. However, it does have the "plugs" for units to be installed (it's even pre-wired). The dealership wants $300+ to sell you their kit, which includes more than is needed to install (black switch bezel and black trim around the lamps themselves - all of this the Premium already has).

The part# H4510FJ100 goes for about $200 in store and includes the lamps, switch, relay, bolts/nuts, and manual for a simple do it yourself application.

Hope this helps out people with my same idea. I think $200 is REASONABLE, but I'd still like it cheaper (don't we all!) But its an easy solution so I'll go with it.

This shop sells for about $200 + S/H:
https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338666
Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Ltd.
Magnetite Gray

Hello, new poster here. A brief introduction first. Until recently, I had a 2003 WRX sedan, which I owned since new and loved every minute of it. I recently decided to go the economy route and traded that for a 2013 Impreza. although I will miss my old car, and have fond memories of it, I am happy enough to get better fuel economy on regular. I suppose if I desire to go fast, I have motorcycles.

Anyway, I thought I might add some information to this thread. I bought the premium model, which was lacking some of the things I liked about the WRX, fog lights being one of them.

I did buy the kit from the Subaru e-store, which is going for just under 300 bucks and installed them myself. Although there are certainly alternatives to te factory lights, I doubt anybody will find a cleaner install. The kit comes complete with everything you need, including fasteners and the relay to install the lights. They don't tell you this, but the bumper pieces that come with the kit do come with the bright trim around the light. You can also, if you desire, pop out the honey comb piece and have no bright trim around the lights, but I think it dresses it up myself.

Once installed, the switch is fully integrated into the car. It is backlit like all other controls and lights the indicator on the dash. IMHO the kit is worth the price.

Now to the install: Probably the most dificult part was installing the switch itself, which took me all of 30 minutes. The wiring is there and you get a new bezel for the switch. There are a couple of blank off plates that need to be transfered to the new bezel.

The relay for the lights is located on the other side behind the glove box. The directions have you removing the glove box, some trim, and a cover of some sort behind the glove box. The relay block is tall and narrow, with the new relay being located in the lower right corner of the block. IF you feel up in there, you can locate the relays location and feel the orientation of the pins. I was able to reach up in there and plug in the relay WITHOUT TAKING ANYTHING APART on the right side of the dash. If you are a visual person, it could be dificult, but it saved me a bit of time. Time, including feeling for the relays and figuring out the location and orientation, was maybe 5 to 10 minutes. On to the lights: Getting the inner fender loose took a little more than the directions but not too much. There are several push pins and one bolt that needs to be taken loose to allow the plastic to be moved enough to get in there. The trim pieces in the bumper push out the front. Look for a series of tabs all around it. Don't really BEND them. Just flex them a little as you also push forward on them. The piece will push out the front. If you decide you don't want the bright trim, there is a tab at the top of the honey comb piece that you push down and the piece comes out the front. The lights are the sane for both sides. There is not a left and right. The assembly is plastic and should hold up to the rigors of detioration over the years. There are two tabs toward the outside of each side. The tabs on the lights go into those. There is a locator pin inboard and one bolt that goes into a J nut that you put in place before you put the light in. The wiring is there and you plug it into the back of the fixture. Reassemble everything and you're done. The entire job, taking my time to make sure I was doing it right, took about 1.5 hours. That is total for every aspect of the job. I could probably cut that in half now that I have done it once.

I guess I have become an old fart, but I spent a lot of time years ago adapting aftermarket stuff to the muscle cars I had in the past. Making brackets, cutting wiring, trying to make it look nice. There is something to be said for clean installations!

John

also: you may have noticed I have added a couple of other goodies to the exterior just to dress it up, but that is not what this thread is about.
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Thanks for the install info! I guess the chrome around the lights is the only plus to getting the $300 kit, but I have other things I want to install on the car (new stereo, HIDs, backup cam, etc) so the $200 kit is more reasonable to me.

I'm just bothered that the dealerships and even just a google search only brings up the $300 package, when all we really need is the $200 lights/switch/relay/nuts/bolts kit. We don't need the black interior switch bezel or the fog light housings...just my 2 cents!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Oh and PS: Great color choice! I went with the wagon myself, and don't feel too bad about leaving the WRX, your wallet will thank you! Both gas and insurance wise.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Ltd.
Magnetite Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
<snip>

........ We don't need the black interior switch bezel ...just my 2 cents!
Actually you do need the switch bezel. That spot on the old piece is not a blank off plate. If you want the factory switch, you need the bezel.

Also if you go to the parts catalog, I'm sure you could order ala cart, Light fixtures, switch, relay, etc. but it might not be any cheaper than the complete kit, I don't know.

Regarding the audio system, it is my understanding that you may loose some functionality of your steering wheel controls. This is something I too have been looking into. The audio rocker switches will change functions based on how long you hold the button for. ie: listening to music I have on a flash drive plugged in, long press changes albums, short press changes to next/previous song. According to what I have read, even the adaptors for steering wheel controls don't completely resolve the issue. Just an FYI. I'm not sure what it would do to the bluetooth control. I just realized the other day, (after a month of ownership), that the "talk" button also mutes when you have an active call.

John
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
dcon9999
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326345
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 5-Door Premium
Ice Metallic Silver

FYI - After having a dealership tell me the switch and relay were not available separately yet (only int he kit) -- I had another dealer identify and order them in for me. $63 for both.

Installed them today and bought those stock lights off the ebay link above a few months ago. Just forgot to buy the bolts - grrrr --

Took me 20 mins (expect it took about 10 extra mins to cut out the bezel hole for the switch....its not notched - you need to carefully get in there with a utility knife/small drill hole and clean it out if you dont plan on buying the bezel with the hole in it already.

so got everything installed today except the lights themselves (which look like the easiest part). I'll post some pics next weekend.
dcon9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcon9999 View Post
FYI - After having a dealership tell me the switch and relay were not available separately yet (only int he kit) -- I had another dealer identify and order them in for me. $63 for both.

Took me 20 mins (expect it took about 10 extra mins to cut out the bezel hole for the switch....its not notched - you need to carefully get in there with a utility knife/small drill hole and clean it out if you dont plan on buying the bezel with the hole in it already.

so got everything installed today except the lights themselves (which look like the easiest part). I'll post some pics next weekend.
I look forward to your future posts regarding this! So you bought the light kit off ebay for $45 Shipped and the switch/relay for $63 for a total of $108.

What I still don't get is why you need the custom switch bezel. Mine has a plug (black cap cover) over the port for the switch. USA here, not sure if that's why?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Ltd.
Magnetite Gray

I'm looking at the old one. It only appears to be a plug. It is actually a molded part of the bezel. But, if you want to, I guess you can cut it out and clean up the edges. As I bought the complete kit, I never bothered looking for just the bezel for price. The holes across the bottom are plugs that could be removed for whatever they thought might go there.

John
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
I'm looking at the old one.
So you have a 2012 Impreza Premium? I guess I just need to get in there and look at my vehicle specifically, because to me, it looks like a removeable plug, but I haven't verified. Seems like a silly idea to me to put a permanent plug in.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Ltd.
Magnetite Gray

No, mine is a 2013 Premium, but the part number for ordering the kit has not changed for the two model years. The way it is molded, it looks like a plug, but in fact is part of the face of the piece. It certainly could be removed, but not by simply popping it out. Of the things I ordered from Subaru so far only the remote start and trunk spoiler have a new part number, according to the dealer. Things I did so far was the front corner spoilers, SS exhaust tip, bright trunk trim over the licence plate, trunk spoiler, leather steering wheel, leather shift knob, and fog lights. The remote start is ordered and I have decided to let the dealer install that after I looked at the installation proceedure. It seems the system needs some programiing to associate the keys. I did all the other stuff myself. It is also my understanding that any genuine accessories are covered by the warranty/extended warranty. Of course that really doesn't mean much for the foo foo stuff, but for the lights and remote start, well, I guess you never know.

It is very easy to get that part off the car. You could verify it in probably 10 minutes or less and decide from there.

John
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Chris223
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 308299
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue Pearl

I have the factory fog light kit on my Impreza and it is a clean, nice looking install. I would have liked to do something with a little more of maybe a blue-ish hue but if I ever want I can just put different bulbs in them. But I like the way they are. I really just wish the car had factory HID's.
Chris223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Ltd.
Magnetite Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris223 View Post
I have the factory fog light kit on my Impreza and it is a clean, nice looking install. I would have liked to do something with a little more of maybe a blue-ish hue but if I ever want I can just put different bulbs in them. But I like the way they are. I really just wish the car had factory HID's.
Check out DDM Tuning. HID kits at resonable prices. I know a few guys that have converted their bikes and are very happy with the change.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/

John
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1

Check out DDM Tuning. HID kits at resonable prices. I know a few guys that have converted their bikes and are very happy with the change.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/

John
Yeah.....cheapo pnp HID kids TOTALLY improve visibility.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi 1 View Post
I'm looking at the old one. It only appears to be a plug. It is actually a molded part of the bezel. But, if you want to, I guess you can cut it out and clean up the edges. As I bought the complete kit, I never bothered looking for just the bezel for price. The holes across the bottom are plugs that could be removed for whatever they thought might go there.

John
Uggghhhhh...Unfortunately, you were right. It's not a plug, its a molded piece that would have to be cut out. How annoying!!! Why they would do this, I don't know...My old 2002 Impreza had removable plugs for the fogs. Grrrr

Oh, and subaru confirmed for me as well:

Hello:

Thank you for your patience, as I researched your inquiry with the Accessories Engineer. He advised:

It’s not a plug. The piece that looks like a plug is actually molded into the switch panel. You could cut it out but it would look terrible. A new switch panel with an opening for the fog light switch comes with the fog light kit (SOA635089).
Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
Yeah.....cheapo pnp HID kids TOTALLY improve visibility.
Was this sarcasm? I actually have heard good things about DDM Tuning kits...
Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125

Was this sarcasm? I actually have heard good things about DDM Tuning kits...
The kits themselves might be fine, but without a proper retrofit (including proper projectors) is required.

Throwing a pnp kit into the stock housings is a horrible idea and results in improper beam projection or less light output than even stock, but there are several hundred other threads that state the details of why.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
The kits themselves might be fine, but without a proper retrofit (including proper projectors) is required.

Throwing a pnp kit into the stock housings is a horrible idea and results in improper beam projection or less light output than even stock, but there are several hundred other threads that state the details of why.
Yea I have heard this. Its a lot of work + dough to retrofit the projectors, so stock bulbs it is for me...
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #22
patrickyazon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334670
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur125 View Post
So I found exactly what I needed.

My 2012 Subaru Impreza Premium didn't come with fog lights. However, it does have the "plugs" for units to be installed (it's even pre-wired). The dealership wants $300+ to sell you their kit, which includes more than is needed to install (black switch bezel and black trim around the lamps themselves - all of this the Premium already has).

The part# H4510FJ100 goes for about $200 in store and includes the lamps, switch, relay, bolts/nuts, and manual for a simple do it yourself application.

Hope this helps out people with my same idea. I think $200 is REASONABLE, but I'd still like it cheaper (don't we all!) But its an easy solution so I'll go with it.

This shop sells for about $200 + S/H:
https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html
hey there, I have 2012 prem too, and i was checking under the hood where the fog lights will be mounted and I did not see any wiring though...

this would make it more difficult for me to run the wires then?Argghh
patrickyazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickyazon View Post
hey there, I have 2012 prem too, and i was checking under the hood where the fog lights will be mounted and I did not see any wiring though...

this would make it more difficult for me to run the wires then?Argghh
the plugs/wiring is usually all wrapped up in tape on the harness....ya hafta find it and untape it
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #24
patrickyazon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334670
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Premium
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
the plugs/wiring is usually all wrapped up in tape on the harness....ya hafta find it and untape it
argghhh... which section is it at? Im getting all excited here...

sorry i thought you were blurr..

did that fog light from ebay have that chrome cover around the fog lens?
patrickyazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Blur125
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2010 Outlander XLS
Brown Metallic

@patrickyazon: If you shine a flash light through the port covers, you will see a connector. I'd be shocked if it wasn't there, but then again, the plug for the switch isn't removable, so it wouldn't be the first shock I've experienced so far...