Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
jdogma
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 242350
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 Carma Wolf EZ30
black

Default Subaru EZ 30R mid engined track day car

I have really enjoyed reading on this forum and have learned a lot due to my prior ignorance about Subarus. I have been building a mid-engined, open 2 seat track day/road car for use as a fair weather sports car and club racer. It is designed to use a WRX engine with a 5 speed WRX gearbox.

some specs:
Wheelbase - 102.5 in.
OAL - 172 in.
OAW - 79 in
Height - 43 in (top of rollbar)
weight - 1660 lb 40/60 F/R%
Engine - 2007 EZ 30R from a Tribeca, 8.5:1 Supertech Pistons
Transaxle - 2008 WRX
Engine Management - Hydra
Turbo - Forced performance FP HTA GT3582R
Suspension - unequal length A-Arms, front; 5 link rear Len Terry type rear.
Spring/shocks - Niprotek Nitrogen gas springs w/ 5 way damping and infinitely adjustable spring rate.
Tires - Hoosier R6 205/45-16 front; 275/45-16 rear
body - carbon fiber with Nomex honeycomb core

I have built other mid engined high performance cars (my old company was Evans Automobiles), mostly Chevrolet powered, but wanted to do an open 2 seat car using a FWD engine/trans combo to make it affordable and to take advantage of the import tuner aftermarket that we have. https://plus.google.com/photos/10818...842?banner=pwa

The reason for choosing the Subaru drivetrain are the low engine and the longitudinal layout. I thought Honda or Mitsubishi (really wanted that paddle shift) initially, but the engine requires that the rear bodywork has to be pretty high (ugly). Also, both engines are almost directly over the axle, which is less than ideal for a mid-engine layout.

About that time, I had just read about Jeff Perrin's EZ 30R swap in a WRX and thought that would make a great flagship car. I would have saved a lot of time money and headache with an STI engine, but that's hindsight now... Another EZ 30 one would be easy now... Thanks to Jeff for helpful advice, thanks also to Phil Grabow of Element Tuning and the great guys at Outfront Motorsports who answered endless questions and supplied the headers, fuel rails and lots of other stuff. They seem to have more Subaru 6 cylinder turbo experience than anyone on the planet.

I am happy to share any information about the engine mods, specs, etc.

John

Last edited by jdogma; 10-30-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: more info
jdogma is offline   Reply With Quote