Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-08-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
Kha0S
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8808
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM 5D

Question Clutch release bearing seated into cover?

Is there an easy way to verify that the clutch release bearing (aka throwout bearing) has properly seated into the clutch cover (aka pressure plate)?

I followed the manual's approach, including attaching the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate to the motor, then making sure the attachment clip was in the cover, located the release bearing, fork, and pivot shaft (greased up everything pretty well), and brought it all together. I pushed the release fork down without the slave cylinder in the way, and it feels like it's engaged, but there's still a good bit of slop in there...

Is there a way to check it before I hook up all the hydraulics?

/Andrew
Kha0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Kha0S
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM 5D

bump... anyone? I'd like to know ASAP...

/Andrew
Old 06-09-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
Kha0S
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM 5D

Has nobody here ever done a clutch job on a turbo Subaru?

/Andrew
Old 06-10-2003, 12:45 AM   #4
Blue02WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5841
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

mine was pretty sloppy for a while, i was starting to get concerned and then it tightened up. feels good now. took about 500 miles i'd guess. i put in a exedy organic clutch.
Blue02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
TypeC
Scooby Guru

Member#: 9794
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
02 2.5LWRX-Retired
335i w/twins

Did you take your tranny off?

I've done the clutch job 2-3 times on a WRX.

If you take the TOB off of the fw, put it on the outputshaft of the tranny (with lube), put the release fork through the holes in the TOB, install the piston that holds the TOB in place (all of this done with the tranny still not touching the motor), and stab the motor with the tranny, it should be ok. Once I do that I have to manually push the release fork (And therby the TOB) into the pressure plate. It will snap in place and the clutch pedal will work. I had to push the pedal down twice with my foot to get rid of the 'slop.'

hth,
-C
TypeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
Kha0S
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM 5D

Okay, well, the pedals and hydraulics aren't in the car yet, but if that takes up the slop in the fork, I'll be happy.

I'm pretty sure it's seated into the pressure plate, but the clip that holds it has some play.

Once I've got the spring and bracket installed, and the clutch pedal set goes in, I think it'll get rid of the dead space.

/Andrew