Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-11-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
aerobahn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48296
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Question 02 WRX stalling with low fuel

Does anyone know if it's common for an un-modified wrx to stall when taking corners semi-fast (just above speed limit) with a quarter tank of gas or less???

I've taken the car in a couple times to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate. They say there is a fuel cut-off sensor that will kick in under high G-loads but i'm not even pushing that hard when this happens. It happens both left and right and after braking semi-hard in a slight curve and also when flooring it into a corner from a stop. The car will slowly die with the clutch in.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Bry
aerobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
Snowphun
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1800
Chapter/Region: NESIC

Haven't noticed that in the 2.5 years I've owned mine, but then I don't let the tank get too low either. Wouldn't say what you're experiencing is common.

Paul
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

There isn't a G-related fuel cut off. Your fuel is sloshing away from the pickups in the tank- it's a known issue, and why outfits like STi offer fuel pumps with built in surge tanks and why places like MRT offer surge tanks seperately. It's less of an issue with the GD body style than the GC because of the dual pickups in the GD's.

Brian

North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:43 PM   #4
aerobahn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48296
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

[quote]Originally posted by North Ursalia
[b]There isn't a G-related fuel cut off. Your fuel is sloshing away from the pickups in the tank- it's a known issue, and why outfits like STi offer fuel pumps with built in surge tanks and why places like MRT offer surge tanks seperately. It's less of an issue with the GD body style than the GC because of the dual pickups in the GD's.

Brian

Damn. Then why is my dealer so inept?

To tell the whole story, i ran the tank dry once (ie ran outta gas) and it was lurching all the way to station (picking up fuel in spurts i guess) but then i had problems just accelerating straight ahead for a few tanks. It'd lurch violently and cut out and stall. Thought it was fuel contamination so i ran injector cleaner thru it hoping it'd "clean" out. Improved moderately. Still didn't run like it did before. This is when i took it to dealer. They said run some heet thru it to get the water thru, so i did with no improvement. Had the ol' 30k service at 30k and hoped it might solve it by replacing the fuel filter and getting the injectors cleaned. Still a problem. I can't remember the car having this problem when new.

Thanks for any help.

Bry
aerobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:51 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

The strainer sock on the fuel pump may be dislodged somehow...?
Some people have had similar problems after fuel pump installs.
It may be worth a look.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote