Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
castper
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300342
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Cool Changing HVAC Lights in a WRX D.I.Y.

Hey guys i've wanted to do this for a while and i have seen some tutorials for this but none with great descriptions. I am changing the lights not adding bulb covers like trunk monkey did.
Background info:
02 WRX
Bulb Type:
#74 LED bought from http://autolumination.com/74.htm
Looks like this

Ok first lets take a look at what i had, i used regular bulbs which i do not recommend. For brightness and reliability use LEDs Like the one above, anyway this is what i had before, i changed the stock bulbs to blue bulbs.

I know, very dim and bad quality lol

Lets start

Step 1
Remove your radio and trim around the radio.

Step 2
Pull off your HVAC knobs, they will come off if you tug on them, i used needle nose pliers to get the air slider switch off (that thing that changes the air from recirculating and fresh)

Step 3
Remove the HVAC faceplate, there will be two clips on the top, undo those and pull but be very careful not to hit yourself with the faceplate or snap it

and

Step 4
Pull out the stock bulbs from the black twist lock holder thing
Hard to see but there are bulbs in there, just oull them out and you should be good

Step 5
Put your new LEDs in the socket where you removed the old bulbs. If they do not light, take them out and reverse it (LEDs are polarized unlike bulbs)
Then test

Step 6
Once everything is confirmed to be working, put everything back together in the reverse of how you took it apart

Once done it should look something like this

Then Your Done!

Also the stock bulbs come with this ugly green cover on them

I replaced the cap with a different blue one i got
Epic waste of $9 from cost and shipping not to mention they were also too big

Went to Blue bulbs
Then went to LEDs and they are by far the best out of all of those.

Good Luck and if you break something or somehow die its on you
castper is offline   Reply With Quote