Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 30, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
Ray521
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (9)

Member#: 324129
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 Evo

Default SMY/IPF JDM Fog Lights 11-14 WRX/STI

I bought SMY's IPF fog light kit and would like to share my experience for those interested. My car came with fog lights from the factory but I was seeking an increase in lighting and these fogs happen to look amazing too. I couldn't pass up on their group buy pricing.

For those that don't know SMY Performance recently released a fog light kit using their own mounting brackets and IPF JDM fog lights. SMY's customer service is awesome. I bought these at 5PM on a Wednesday, they shipped a few minutes later and I had them at my door the next day around 2PM.

Here is the product link. SMY provides an installation video as well. Here is the link to that.

On to the review. Installation was as easy as it looked in the video. The most difficult part was removing my stock fog lights. As soon as they're out all you have to do is bolt on the inner bracket. Pop off the fog light cover. Loosely fit the fog light and then the outer bracket goes on. Tighten it all up and that's pretty much it. The brackets fit perfectly. Throw the fog light cover back on, hook up the wiring harness and you're done. My bumper was removed for installation as I was already doing my headlights too, I'm not sure if you can do it with the bumper on.

The IPF fog lights have a blue coating on the lens to filter out the blue light and the basket is anodized gold to put out a yellow/amber colored light.
Output is excellent. With my stock fog lights there was barely a difference between having them switched on or off, sometimes I couldn't even tell. The IPF fogs are a huge improvement. I installed HID headlights at the same time which increased headlight output and there is still a big difference between having the fogs on and off.

Here are some pics after I installed them. I'll try to get some night pictures to show the output within the next few days.

Ray521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
MacAlert
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 70965
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI
ISM

Have these sitting on my room right now. Did you remove the bumper to install?
MacAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Ray521
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Evo

Yes, I did remove the bumper. I've been told its possible to do without removing the bumper but taking off the stock fog lights seem like it would be pretty difficult without removing the bumper. Post up some pics when you're done.

Last edited by Ray521; 01-31-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
MacAlert
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray521 View Post
Yes, I did remove the bumper. I've been told its possible to do without removing the bumper but taking off the stock fog lights seem like it would be pretty difficult without removing the bumper. Post up some pics when you're done.
My bumper clips near the lights are both shot so not looking forward to removing it. Waiting for warmer weather before I can install.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
Ray521
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Evo

I did it in this freezing weather haha. Broke a bunch of clips in the process but I had new ones and planned on replacing them all anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using NASIOC
Old 02-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #6
Hatchtastic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 385574
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
DGM

Bump for night pics
Hatchtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
MacAlert
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI
ISM

Beat out a snow storm and got this installed. Haven't taken it out for a drive at night but the light output is amazing while parked!

IMG_20150301_120412[1] by MacAlert, on Flickr

IMG_20150301_183309 by MacAlert, on Flickr

IMG_20150301_183237 by MacAlert, on Flickr
Old 03-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
SLY_WRX
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 398867
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 WRB WRX HATCH
2008 Suzuki RMZ250

bump for more people running these, very interested
SLY_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #9
beermuscles
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 370850
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2014 STi
ISM

saving up money to make this my next project.
beermuscles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:57 AM   #10
13wrxhatch
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 355267

Looking for some bright, somewhat easy to install fog lights. So far this is the best I've come across, because the ease of installation and they look great off, but brightness seems to be less than LEDs. Anyone know of a brighter version of these?
13wrxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote