Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 9481
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default Torn between DIY and an Expert

As a few here know, my T5 transmission gave up the ghost about two weeks ago. I am just getting the car back this weekend due to another reason all together. Since the car is VA, I had an interesting offer and I am torn about taking it up or saving a few hundred dollars.

The offer was from one of the premier FFR challenge car builders and drivers. He said he would go pick the trailer and car up. Look at what needs to be done and if it is what we suspect then he will replace the transmission and clutch pack , and make sure everything is straight and aligned on the shifting parts for around $500 plus parts.

On the other hand, I have done more than a couple of transmissions and clutches before and I am comfortable doing them. I have not done a Ford or a FFR before though. Having an expert go though it seems like a great idea, but $500 bucks is significant at least in this house hold plus I can become more familiar with the car.

What are some thoughts about this here?
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Keith
Scooby Guru

Member#: 191
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 J train
Brown

i'd vote for doing it yourself if you can.
No one is going to put the same care into your car as you are. I've learned that the hard way...even with good shops
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
gramicci101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64763
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
The cake is a lie.

If you're comfortable doing the work and you have all the tools and bits and pieces, go for it.

For myself, I'd pay. I've never swapped a transmission before and would certainly botch it the first time.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
i'd vote for doing it yourself if you can.
No one is going to put the same care into your car as you are. I've learned that the hard way...even with good shops

true, but this kind of like having a young Enzo work on your Ferrari.

He's one of the guys that help create the whole Challenge car series.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Keith
Scooby Guru

Member#: 191
Vehicle:
2012 J train
Brown

sounds like you have your mind set already
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
gramicci101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64763
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
The cake is a lie.

If he's that spectacular, get him to sign your dashboard or something when he's done with the work.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
sounds like you have your mind set already
No, I really like my $500 bucks, plus I can learn a lot from it. The job is going to be in the thousands no matter what.

That's a lot of the tire and brake money gone.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If he's that spectacular, get him to sign your dashboard or something when he's done with the work.

Funny part is the car was built by one of his direct rivals.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
dimswits
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160342
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 E46 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
What are some thoughts about this here?
I suggest you do it yourself, since you say you know your way around a transmission and the T5 is extremely easy to work on in all respects. It's easy to remove and replace, easy to disassemble and reassemble, and requires no special service tools. You will need pin punches, snap ring pliers, a press, a bearing seperator, a pair of calipers and a dial indicator.

The transmission is well documented all over the web (the service manual can be downloaded and you can buy service videos), and parts are plentiful and comparatively cheap.
dimswits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

This is going to be replaced, not rebuilt. I am going with a T5Z-HD instead of the T5WC. The stock T5's just don't seem to hold up in racing situations. The other option was the TKO, but that adds 40 lbs.

Also, I know about replacing trans and clutches, not rebuilding the transmissions.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
dimswits
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 E46 Coupe

Quote:
This is going to be replaced, not rebuilt. I am going with a T5Z-HD instead of the T5WC. The stock T5's just don't seem to hold up in racing situations. The other option was the TKO, but that adds 40 lbs.

Also, I know about replacing trans and clutches, not rebuilding the transmissions.
If you are just replacing it it is completely ridiculous to pay someone. The T5's bellhousing to transmission bolts are external. After removing the driveshaft, shifter, and potentially getting the exhaust out of the way, you remove 4 bolts and slide the trans straight back right out of the bellhousing, which stays on the engine. Then you have all the room in the world if you need to remove the bell to get at the clutch.

It is the easiest transmission you'll ever R&R.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimswits View Post
If you are just replacing it it is completely ridiculous to pay someone. The T5's bellhousing to transmission bolts are external. After removing the driveshaft, shifter, and potentially getting the exhaust out of the way, you remove 4 bolts and slide the trans straight back right out of the bellhousing, which stays on the engine. Then you have all the room in the world if you need to remove the bell to get at the clutch.

that's a lot easier than the miata was. What about checking items like the straightness or true of the fork and other items that t5's seem to have issues with. I guess there is probably a good list on the web somewhere on what to check.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
dimswits
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 E46 Coupe

Quote:
that's a lot easier than the miata was. What about checking items like the straightness or true of the fork and other items that t5's seem to have issues with. I guess there is probably a good list on the web somewhere on what to check.
Forks are aluminum and cost about $20 each. The 1-2 and 3-4 forks come out as part of the case top cover. Again, stupid easy.

The official service manual is here:
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...0-0199_173.pdf

And there are other resources all over.

Last edited by dimswits; 03-11-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
ScubieTheFierce
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32086
Vehicle:
04 GTI
Silverstone Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimswits View Post

What he said. I was replacing T5's on my back in a driveway when I was 19. Just make sure you have an alignment tool. They are like $5 @ pepboys or just use a broken input shaft off of an old T5.
ScubieTheFierce is offline   Reply With Quote