Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-08-2022, 03:27 AM   #1
hman123467
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 527007
Default coolant not changed since 2007...

Howdy all

Recently, my WRX was driving fine, took it up through some mountains, got home, parked it overnight

Went out the next day to check the oil and noticed the overflow hadn't been sucked back down to normal height, and I squeezed the top rad hose and a big bubble of air came out the turbo res

Now however, whenever it heat cycles, it seems to draw a little but not nearly as much coolant back in as it used to, and the line from the rad to the turbo tank seems to get air bubbles in it (but not the upper rad hose?)

The car was compression tested recently, and returned a pretty solid 135psi across all 4 (has lowered comp pistons) and spark plugs looked normal

Upon startup, it does the typical "giveaway" bubbles that a hg has gone (in the turbo tank) but it goes away quickly, likely air being bled from the rad to turbo tank hose, and no more bubbles are ever present when the thermostat opens, even after being revved stationary. A block test confirms it isn't exhaust gasses

So I pressure tested the system, and found this: https://imgur.com/a/MQaIqQ5
There is typical oil cooler drip and rocker cover oil drop both sides, the puddle in the middle is coolant, right between the sump and headers

According to the receipts, the engine was rebuilt back in 2007, about 130xxx km ago. Timing belt is pretty fresh, done at 190xxx on the body (100xxx on the motor) but after sorting through the mounds of spares the old owner replaced, there's no water pump present in there, despite all the timing belt and idlers being there

So could that water pump be causing my symptoms? Never overheats either, and has a brand new rad cap

Cheers
hman123467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2022, 08:28 AM   #2
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

At that mileage/age, I'd replace all coolant hoses and clamps. IIRC the FSM recommend changing them at 100K miles or 10 years.

Pressure testing you could have pushed some coolant past a hose, or through the water pump (weep hole).

Spend some time under the car and you should be able to find it. Faster if yu can pressure test while you're under there.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #3
hman123467
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 527007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
At that mileage/age, I'd replace all coolant hoses and clamps. IIRC the FSM recommend changing them at 100K miles or 10 years.

Pressure testing you could have pushed some coolant past a hose, or through the water pump (weep hole).

Spend some time under the car and you should be able to find it. Faster if yu can pressure test while you're under there.

Oh yea the lower rad hose is cooked, I'll be replacing a bunch when I get the water pump done.

I had a look under the car but can't quite see where its coming from (probably with the amount of oil leaks this bloody thing has) but when I tipped the car with a jack, it came out the lower side timing cover so I'm inclined that it's a water pump
hman123467 is offline   Reply With Quote