Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > SVX Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-07-2000, 02:00 PM   #1
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Member#: 369
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
19 CTS-V, 18 XC90
17 GTI

Question FWD --> AWD swap?

I am browsing around for a used SVX to be my second Subaru, and have come across a '94 L FWD model. Has anyone done the swap on a FWD to an AWD setup?

How difficult is the swap? Anyone have an estimate on the cost? What all needs to be changed?

Is one year better than the others for reliability? What are the main things to look out for on a used SVX?

Thanks,

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2000, 04:45 PM   #2
CRZ_MSL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1610
It will likely be better for you to find a AWD SVX than go through the hassle of attempting a conversion. You may find that the cost of a FWD SVX plus all the doodads needed to make it AWD plus labor will be more than the cost of a similar vintage AWD version of the car. Unless you are getting the car for next to free, I would not bother.

As for year of manufacture, the newer the better. 1994 and earlier had higher top speeds, but older versions of the automatic transmission that we SVX owners lavish attention and fundage on.

No matter what, the first mod to your SVX should be an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler. The stock cooler is not enough.

[This message has been edited by CRZ_MSL (edited August 07, 2000).]
Old 08-08-2000, 06:09 AM   #3
Jewel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1936
Smile

Check out ebay.com. They have four different SVX's for sale. Looks like you could get a good deal on a couple of them.
Old 08-14-2000, 08:49 PM   #4
Flatfour
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 906
Better mod, let get the Auto to 5spd manual mod going, thats my first serious direction, we have plenty of power, just need better rear gearing and.....Gears!!!
Old 08-14-2000, 10:29 PM   #5
jason_watkins
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1295
Cost of FWD to AWD is fairly reasonable.. think around $3k.. this does however mean that it's better to just buy an AWD from the start if you have the option.

Manual swap is gonna be expensive.. $7k or so according to those who've done it.