Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453174
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

Default Bugeye 02 RX Hybrid Build

About a year and a half ago I pick up a pretty clean Bugeye wagon off some kid in Laguna Beach. Had a CEL, ran the code before I got it and it came up bad MAF. The next day I took her straight to Irvine Subaru to have her looked over. They told me replace that MAF sensor and everything else seemed to be ok, other than it being slammed with some wack JDM B***333;suz***333;ku pipes sticking up out the back.

Last edited by ScoobyDaze; 08-28-2016 at 09:28 PM.
ScoobyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

After driving her around for a bit I noticed she had quite a bit of power than other WRX's I have driven but I was surging pretty bad. I picked up an AEM short ram intake with an HKS honeycomb filter and it came with a good MAF. When I installed it I drove her a bit and the CEL came back on, so took her to Rallysport Engineering in Newport Beach after they were highly recommended. They checked it out and found my wastegate solenoid and my boost gage weren't plumbed in. He used the term "Ghetto Tune." He also told me I was having misfires in 1 and 3 (I ran the codes at home a few days prior and I got misfire codes in 2 and 4). They said that bugeyes are prone to misfires, sometimes all it needs is a reflash of the ECU. He said that it would have to be done at the dealership. I told him I was having a really profuse smell of gas when it was cold. He told me that there was a recall on the fuel system but the recall has expired. He said that he's heard sometimes the dealership will cover it. I called Subaru, talked to the service manager and he told me first they have to do an inspection to see if that was the issue. So I got her over to Subaru to do the inspection and get the ECU reflashed to hopefully solve that misfire issue and plumb in the wastegate solenoid and boost gage. They said that they could get the repair covered and they needed to keep her for 3 days. When I came into to pick her up they told be they were getting misfires in all 4, Upper Airstream O2, and exhaust temp sensor high. They also told me they found a slight trace amounts of exhaust gasses in the intake system. They said this indicated that my head gaskets were soon to go out...up until this point i haven't had a flashing CEL driving or running the car at all. After the reflash I've had a flashing CEL at start up on cold idle. Once it's warmed up (or if you touch the throttle and drop it into warm throttle) the CEL would stop flashing. Never got a flashing CEL after that point running or driving. About 2-3 weeks later (what I thought was happening) the clutch started slipping. I had a friend come down and we were gonna do the clutch. I picked up a Cobb shortram intake, STI top mount, VF34 turbo, and STI Pinks from my buddy when he came down.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

He said I was also getting an intake temp high code, he told me it was probably from the AEM intake. It took us about a week to do because after we got everything together the first time when setting the throwout bearing we broke one of the ears on the throwout bearing and had to pull the motor again and wait for parts. We installed a ACT street light flywheel, ACT throwout bearing, ACT clutch and OEM Pressure plate.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

Once it was done I hopped in and started her up. Put her in first and went no where.. After a few days of staring at my car itching my head and scouring the forums, I came across an article from 2010.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2083221
I looked at the rear diff and noticed that the driverside rear axle was sticking out about a 1/2 inch.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

So my buddy and I took the wheel off and pulled the axle out. After a few phone calls we figured out all we needed to do was pop it back in. After that she drove great. I've been driving her for about 5 months since then, she still runs and drives good.

Last edited by ScoobyDaze; 08-28-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

A few weeks later I was driving back from a trip LA for a recording session and I had the front passenger tire blow the side wall out (due to an aggressive stretch to achieve the slammed life, thanks Laguna kid).

Old 08-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

So I hopped on CL and made a trade for some rota grids with some 245/45ZR18's for my wheels. I got home and through a set of Perrelli P Zero Nero 235/40ZR18

Up until about 2 weeks ago or so, I was on my way to work and it pissed out all of the coolant in the system. When I popped the hood I saw that the fluid was only all over the radiator and front of the engine bay. I found out that it is a common problem that the plastic that's on the top and bottom of the radiator, separates itself from the metal when it gets old. So I spent a couple days trying to find an upgrade to an aluminum radiator and I came across a set of heads for a good deal on CL... And so the build began!

Last edited by ScoobyDaze; 08-29-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

I picked up a set of EJ20 complete heads

I got them machined, port and polished, and had the combustion chambers matched.

I also picked up a complete 08 STI valve train with stage 2 springs that raise the redline 1k

Next was the 08 STI EJ25 with 88k on it. Got the block honed and cleaned up.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
ScoobyDaze
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

Also got Cosworth Forged 8.2:1 Compression Pistons

Tomei MLS Head Gaskets, ARP Head Studs and Rod Bolts, and ACL Main and Rod Bearings

Version 6 STI Long Runner Intake Manifold with 556cc yellow top side feed injectors and no TGV's. Also got the intake manifold ports on the head matched.

I also picked up a Cobb Catted Downpipe, Cobb V2 Accessport, Perrin Front Mount, Aluminum Radiator and an HKS BOV

As soon as my homie with HoodWorks Drift Customs helping me with my build got my car he said I was running 8 codes. So we also replaced the O2's, up and downstream, the exhaust temp sensor, the idle air control valve and all 4 coil packs.

Last edited by ScoobyDaze; 08-29-2016 at 05:17 PM.