Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Silent_Screamer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211052
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Blue

Question New Tires for WRX

Time for new tires on my '08 wrx. Car is still stock, original tire size 205/50R17s. The original Bridgestone Potenza RE92A seemed a bit noisy but were satisfying performance wise.

I live in California and prefer keep the same tires on year round. M+S is a must as I do make frequent trips to the mountains in winter. Browsing tirerack, sears and a few other websites I've got 3 contenders for replacements:

Bridgestone Potenza G019

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Yokohama AVID ENVigor

Input from anyone who has these tires would be appreciated, and suggestions of other options are welcome too. Thanks!
Silent_Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
nhat
Scooby Guru

Member#: 140163
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

what's your budget?
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Silent_Screamer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Blue

I'd like to not go over $200 a tire. I'm going to be putting mileage on them quickly.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
wtwwholesaletire
Vendor

Member#: 98066
Vehicle:
2003 forester
white

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S would be my #1 choice of the 3 you have listed.2 great features are the hydrochute technology makes this tire amazing in wet weather and there rounder shoulder they use providing progressive, predictable cornering. all in all Michelin truelly makes the best riding tires bar none, very quiet very smooth always out wear there milage warranty.

Here is the issue M+S rated tires no matter the brand are not made for severe winter driving a mountan pass could be really bad on all season tires.

my recomendation to you would be two sets of tires one for summer performance and one for your ski trips, or a all weather Nokian WR G2 this tire is a full out snow tire that is made to be drivin year round! No compromise performance,snow,wet,it does it all.
wtwwholesaletire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
wtwwholesaletire
Vendor

Member#: 98066
Vehicle:
2003 forester
white

love my Nokian Tyres. I bought my first set of Nokian "all weather" 3 years ago and just bought my second set (WRG2). I drive a Toyota Sienna 2 wheel drive minivan. Last year we had an unexpected Snow/ice storm in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. As I am going up the hill without any slippage, others are sliding down the hill beside me. Even those in big 4 wheel drive vehicles and big tires. Here I am in my little old van just holding steady.
I drive about 35 miles every day to work down the I-5 freeway and it can be treacherous in the rain (and we get lots!), but I never hydroplane. As another bonus, I don't have to worry anymore about the long lines to get snow tires put on when the first winter storm hits. My tires are all year around!
Thank you for giving me such a peace of mind when I drive to and from work. "
wtwwholesaletire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Silent_Screamer
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Blue

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
lgangi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 132632
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Bright Silver

Got about 750 miles on a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS's which are much more comfortable and much less noisy than the Bridgestone's. I was really surprised at how quiet these tires are, and how they've made my daily ride, a mix of twisty country roads and high speed freeways, so much more enjoyable. Should have been an OEM choice IMHO. I haven't noticed any loss in performance but I would recommend running a higher pressure (38/36 psi) for better responsiveness.

Living in northern NJ I picked these for a balance btw summer and winter conditions that generally don't warrant a separate set of tires. Would really suggest comparing them to your choices, glad I did.
lgangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
BXWRX77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 263699
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgangi View Post
Got about 750 miles on a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS's which are much more comfortable and much less noisy than the Bridgestone's. I was really surprised at how quiet these tires are, and how they've made my daily ride, a mix of twisty country roads and high speed freeways, so much more enjoyable. Should have been an OEM choice IMHO. I haven't noticed any loss in performance but I would recommend running a higher pressure (38/36 psi) for better responsiveness.

Living in northern NJ I picked these for a balance btw summer and winter conditions that generally don't warrant a separate set of tires. Would really suggest comparing them to your choices, glad I did.
Just put the same tires on my 08 WRX hatch, and from what I have felt they are great, can't wait to give a good run tomorrow, Tire Rack has a video camparing a few top tires, and these were rated the highest
BXWRX77 is offline   Reply With Quote