Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
spongerrich
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214736
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX wagon WRB
Cobb Stage 2 OTS

Default Good day turned into a bad day

Part 1 of this story is that my 100K mile Cobb stage 2 wagon had a stripped out spark plug hole (blew out plug while driving normal!). Diagnosis was cracked passenger head. Luckily there is a reputable Subie shop local to me so engine was pulled, new head ordered, both heads sent to machine shop for inspection / machining.

While the engine was out, the shop just happened to have a low mileage VF48 and STI injectors available for a good price... Good time for an upgrade right?

The stock 2.0L block was left it untouched. As far as we could see with the heads off, the cylinders looked good, still had crosshatching. The car had run fine on Cobb's OTS stage 2 91oct map for at least 25K miles. Everything was reinstalled about 2 weeks ago, along with bigger fuel pump and new OEM clutch. Super excited to see the results with the new turbo etc... A base map "break in" tune was put on with the AP because of the new heads etc just to be safe. Car went back in on Friday to get fully tuned for the VF48 via a road tune. The tuner has tuned Subaru's for a long time, and tunes lots of exotic cars. He is pretty well known and respected.

Part 2 should be I have a giant grin on my face when the VF48 hits full boost in 3rd on a freeway on ramp

However, I got an urgent email and phone call from the shop saying there had been a problem. Coasting back after the road tune, the car got ROD KNOCK!

Car is back at the shop. I guess it spun a bearing (engine's not out of the car yet) Shop owner feels bad and is gonna work out some options for me with a deal since I've already dropped about $4K on a bunch of work that I should be enjoying. I don't blame the shop or the tuner. I guess I should of listened to "build it once, build it right" mantra since I decided not to touch the block.

Shop has suggested going for a "hybrid" build, he has a 2.5 block that spun a bearing but has been inspected and cleaned and looks good, as well as an STI nitride crank that he can give me a good deal on. He has had good luck with just putting the 2.0L heads on the 2.5L block using forged pistons for hybrids and different head gaskets. I'm a bit leery of that after reading a bunch on here, and may suggest sending the heads out to Equilibrium for a CNC match to 2.5L heads otherwise I risk detonation issues.

Depending on prices he quotes, what about getting a new semi-built block like the Rallispec Street Spec short block for $3500?

Or I could just get a factory 2.0 and hope that a zero mileage drivetrain can handle a VF48 - they aren't THAT big!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! It's my daily driver, and I don't have deep pockets for a Cosworth long block, but I want my wagon to surprise people when I want to get on it.

Last edited by spongerrich; 06-24-2013 at 01:46 AM.
spongerrich is offline   Reply With Quote