Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2003, 03:38 AM   #1
SlowRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22676
Default swap questions

*this may not be in the right forum, so please move if need be*

so after a LOT of searching in the past few months, ive finally been able to come across a wrx engine for my 99RS, and above and beyond that, its a vishnu stage 2 engine but heres my questions, pretty general swap questions, but im just not sure with the added pOwAh :P

1. since the donor car will be right next to mine, what else will i need to complete the swap? ive been told i will need a new crossmember which i cannot steal from the donor car...

2. i plan on keeping my RS tranny, as ive been told it will hold up just as well as the WRX tranny, so i figure i can save some money buy keeping mine. however, ive heard so many contradictions about clutch/flywheel combos. ive heard u have to have an RS clutch and flywheel, also heard u can use the RS clutch and a WRX flywheel, and so on. which is correct?

3. what clutch/flywheel combo would you recommend? leaning towards the ever popular fidanza lightweight flywheel, but very undecided on the clutch. a friend has a clutchmasters stage 2 on his wrx that is very fun, but will it withstand the output of vishnu stage 2?

4. how similar are the exhaust bends of the RS and the WRX? i havent had a chance to compare the bends, so im *hoping* they are similar enough where i wont have to do any custom fabrication on the vishnu exhaust

5. honestly, is the RS tranny strong enough to handle the power that this engine will output? ive heard it is, but i have my doubts since the previous owner destroyed his wrx tranny something awful.

i think thats all ive got for now...lemme know...and anything else you can suggest, recommend, or forewarn me about would be appreciated
SlowRS is offline   Reply With Quote