Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
nhluhr
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

Default Automatic waterspray on STI intercooler

A while back, WolfPlayer posted up a How-To on installing a pressure-actuated switch to operate the water spray on STI's. We ordered our switches at the same time but I just got around to installing mine. I followed WolfPlayer's instructions and wiring diagram. The wiring diagram was perfect, but of course, figuring out a way to install it all cleanly and professionally is what takes the real time. Solder and heatshrink was heavily employed!

The switch:

The wiring diagram:

Here I am holding the stock spray switch and also the extra connector behind the dash that is supposed to be used for the optional foglights. Since I will NEVER install foglights on my car, I cut this connector off to use with my JDM switch. I put little bits of heatshrink around the cut wires and tucked them back. I was sure to leave enough length of the cut wires so that I could solder them back together in the future if I need to.

Here is a shot after I had hooked up all the wires. I soldered them very securely and put heatshrink around the connections. The two red wires are the ones that will go to the pressure switch:

Here's another shot at the same point in the work, just to show the two different switches. The one that says "AUTO" on it is the JDM switch that will be used to activate automatic spraying. The other switch is the OE momentary switch. You can use either switch independently or at the same time. Doesn't matter.

And here is what they look like slotted into the dash. I put a little dab of black silicone on the clips to keep them from rattling.

The finished product:

Getting the pressure switch adjusted is proving a bit frustrating, but it's not that difficult. You kinda just have to go out, hit boost and listen for the switch to "CLACK" as it closes. Then, adjust as necessary. It gets repetitive.

Anyway, Thanks to WolfPlayer for the wiring diagram and motivation to get this done right! It looks and operates totally OE and IMHO this is how it should come from the factory. ROCK ON!
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
StiRiDaZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 97508
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Sti
Aspen White

Hey where can I get this and information on how it all works?
StiRiDaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
nhluhr
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

the switch I bought on ebay from user "becool" but i can't find them there anymore. I am pretty sure CoolingMist.com and other alky/water injection vendors sell similar switches.

The original how-to post was on iwsti at:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39827

update: the username on ebay is actually "becoool" and he still has the switches available. Here is his ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Be-Cooling

Last edited by nhluhr; 03-18-2006 at 12:35 PM.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote