Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
twistymaster
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 279743
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Default Emergency !! 01 RS Stumped, manual slipping, Already replaced clutch

Transmission/clutch slipping
Ok, Heres the start, Relatively stock 2001 2.5rs 5sp manual
I bought this engine from a friend and bought my car broken, cheap.
I installed a dirt cheap ebay clutch and installed it on the factory flywheel, never resurfaced just for fun so this whole 8k miles have had tons of chatter.
The car still drove fine but I had to deal with the chatter.

Last Saturday I drove my car 40 miles, slept at my gf's collage, then drove back home. The car drove and shifted fine, It was rather cold out that day, mid 30's

Made it home, no problems, took a 4 hour nap then got back in the car and drove two blocks, The whole time the car was slipping like mad. I thought, oh great my cheap clutch has finally had it.
I spent maybe 30 min messing with my clutch hydraulics thanking that maybe my slave cylinder wasn't returning all of the way. I flushed/bled it and had no real issues "Really the first time ever messing with bleeding a clutch so It still could have been not returning all of the way.

Phoned a buddy who said it was defiantly the clutch.
Pulled clutch. plate looked fine, teeth on Pressure plate looked a little funny so I thought that or a worn flywheel could be the culprit.

Ordered an OEM exedy replacement and a cheap lightweight flywheel and Installed them. Same drill as the other 3 clutches I have done, used alignment tool, greased splines, Greased ball on clutch fork, Replaced fork spring/bearing clips. The whole deal.
Just finished installing everything, got in my car and it is doing the exact same thing, again slipping, now im thinking slave cylinder or I have an axle problem?
or maybe an internal transmission problem.
I'm not feeling like throwing $400 worth of parts at this thing, but I do need some suggestions as to what might be going on.

The whole thing that baffles me is how the car can be driving fine, Then I get back in it not 4 hour later and Its slipping?

Sorry about the story my guesses ?

Failed axle ?
failed tranny?
warped fork?
Bad slave? "not returning all the way" Pedal seams perfect but ?
twistymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3687
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Make sure your axles are in all the way. Sometimes a popped rear axle will give you the shipping symptoms.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
twistymaster
Scooby Newbie

I did just do a rear axle 2 weeks ago
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
twistymaster
Scooby Newbie

I'm not going to say that Fuji K was the one that gave me the idea, Cause a little googleing and found out about the axle could be popped out, but having dreams of using a ball peen to pop it back in and waking up and seeing fuji's post gave me the rocky syndrome. I immediately back up and Guess what. My passenger axle was popped out. Used my ball peen to seal the deal and job done. But hey, atleast my clutch chatter is gone XD