Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Hawgdrummer7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 394145
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default 02 WRX Cold idle issues

Hey all,

Having some issues with my car idling before it's warmed up.
Mods (mostly by previous owners):
Fully catless Kakumei exhaust
Short Ram intake
Perrin Inlet
VF-39 (just installed)
Competition Stage 2 Clutch Kit (just installed)
Lightweight flywheel (so I'm told)
Evap delete/codes deleted
Most, if not all vacuum lines replaced
Went from 50/50 TurboXs BOV to stock BPV
212221 miles

Lots of work done on my car in the last month or so. I got it about 3 years ago with ~156k on it. Original turbo was drinking tons of oil. Surprised it made it this long!

Anyway, if I let my car warm up all the way to operating temperature, everything runs fine. If I move the shifter into any gear, it obviously drops RPMs if it hasn't warmed up all the way yet, but it gets real rough idle from then until it's warmed up. It sounds and feels like a misfire, but I'm getting no codes for it. Once the car is completely warmed up, it idles so smooth that you wouldn't know the engine was running if you couldn't hear it.

We initially thought it was a vacuum leak, but we can't find anymore. Now my mechanic is leaning toward an injector seal, and I'm inclined to agree. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this, and what they found out. I've found a few very old threads with problems just about identical, but the solution isn't posted in them.

Also, the car had an open-source tune when I bought it. My mechanic went in after we installed the turbo and set the Wastegate duty cycle to 0 so that I didn't screw anything up before he had a chance to actually sit down and tune it. While doing a boost-leak test, we missed a step and pressurized the crank-case and blew oil all over the drivers side of the motor, and had to spray it off before something caught on fire. This is when the problems started. He had a couple coil packs laying around and we switched em out, but it didn't resolve the issue.

I've tried to be thorough, but let me know if you have any more questions that may help bring up other possible solutions.
Hawgdrummer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Hawgdrummer7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 394145
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

I trust my mechanic, but this is just so I can have some other ideas if it doesn't end up being injector related.
Hawgdrummer7 is offline   Reply With Quote