Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
Hola
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80082
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default Camshaft Position Sensor Issue (Car won't start)

Hi, I have a '93 Legacy 2.2L NA. The other morning I went out to start it and it wouldn't start. It had run fine the night before. The engine turns over and the spark plugs are getting spark and the fuel pump is delivering fuel. I then decided to check the car's computer and see if it was of any help. I connected the little diagnostic connectors under the dash and flashed the CEL. The trouble codes it gave me were for the #3 fuel injector and the camshaft position sensor. I don't think having one fuel injector out would prevent the car from starting, it would just make it run rough, right? After thinking about this I looked in my manual to see how to test the camshaft position sensor. It said to disconnect the harness from the sensor, hook a multimeter up to it and turn the engine over. The output from the sensor should be around 0.1 volts, varying in time with the engine turning. I did this and I got a reading of 0.2 and 0.3 volts varying back and forth as the engine turns. Occasionally the voltage would drop down to 0.1 for a moment but it stayed mostly at 0.2 and 0.3. My first thought was that the sensor must be okay because the reading was only one to two tenths of a volt off of what the specifications are. But then I got to thinking about it more and I realized that although thats only one to two tenths off normal, it is also two to three times what it should be. I guess what I'm getting at is is this a very sensitive sensor? Can a small difference in voltage cause trouble? I searched in old threads trying to find something out about this but was unsuccessful. Also, even though I'm getting spark does anybody think that there could be a problem with the coilpack/ignitor? For example, maybe it's giving spark, but not at the right time? If the car had died while running I would suspect the timing belt but since it just won't start I don't know what to think. Thanks for any help you folks can give me.
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Try posting this in the NA forum...
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Hola
Scooby Newbie